0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release Estimate: Sometime in 2019

0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • -------------------------------------------------------

0 0%
  • Check the First Post for Updated News

0 0%
  • The following are off-topic for this thread but may be discussed in General Discussions:

0 0%
  • Release Dates, Game Mods, LBD, Level Caps, Blood Moon Evasion, Water and Boats

0 0%
Page 836 of 1164 FirstFirst ... 336736786826834835836837838846886936 ... LastLast
Results 12,526 to 12,540 of 17456

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Every high end weapon or tool that you can craft has parts.
    Simple and consistent. Baseball bats are no special snowflakes. They are weapons.

Very much unlike the previous weapon parts system, low level weapons or their parts are not frustratingly useless and scrapping them to bring the parts home and maybe craft something better with them saves inventory space.

The previous weapon parts were also in no way comparable to mods. They offered zero choice and gameplay, only micromanagement.
    Does that also mean every weapon type upgrades at the same rate? Like is finding T2 stun baton parts equally as exciting as finding baseball bat parts? It seems easier to balance it that way, but the game would be more interesting/thematically appropriate if some character builds had less emphasis on weapon upgrades as a way to increase damage output than others.

Quote Originally Posted by andrough View Post
    Not backpack loot. Loot isn't scary to lose. I'm talking about gear. You can't just drop all your weapons and armor before putting yourself in danger. I don't think the criteria you mentioned earlier really cover it. I think the essential thing a death penalty should do is scare the ♥♥♥♥ out of you in dire situations. The fruit of all your efforts is in your hands and on your body throughout your playthrough and losing that stuff sucks.
    -It is not a constant through different situations and still creates the need to unequip, store and equip.
    Surely there is a fear of losing them while casually clearing a POI for example, but if you know you will be putting yourself at great risk by e.g. clearing that dog pen or fighting the BM horde, it will still compel some players to take off that e.g. epic mining helmet they so luckily found earlier.

-It is not a constant through your playthrough.
    You are terrified of losing that e.g. trusty duster that allows you to live in the desert without penalties in the early game, but after a while you end up having enough dusters in your storage to equip a whole army. It is important for it to be a constant through the playthrough and not get mitigated in the late game, because other progress venues already mitigate your chance of dying and if you mitigate death consequences, you also consequently mitigate the value of these venues.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKingsley View Post
    Start over with a new character in the same world.
    That way if you know the map by heart you could find your old base break in to it and "steal" your stuff back.
    Even better would be if your old character roams the land as a Zombie. If you kill it you will get your bag back.

How do you start over in the same world with a new character? How do you reset your level and skills and make it day one again but keep everything you have changed in the world but basically be like starting a totally new game with the starter quests and such?

Quote Originally Posted by LionsDen View Post
    How do you start over in the same world with a new character? How do you reset your level and skills and make it day one again but keep everything you have changed in the world but basically be like starting a totally new game with the starter quests and such?
    I donít know. Ask Xbox players. They do it all the time...

Hunter
    I think you can simply delete the Player folder in your save, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    In my opinion, it's fair to assume that when someone makes a statement, they are implying it is their own opinion unless otherwise stated, because in my opinion most people have at least, in my opinion, a basic understanding of the notion of objectivity, and because in my opinion inserting the phrase "in my opinion" or a similar (in my opinion) phrase in every case in where in my opinion it is technically valid makes a sentence significantly less readable, which in my opinion is not worth the extra ambiguity that I believe the phrase in "in my opinion" is intended to solve.
    Lol...normally I would agree with you but in the case of Vik he quite often states explicitly that he is dispensing objective unassailable facts. He says A17 is bad independently of his or yours or my opinions. He has denied that he is giving his opinion a number of times. So in his case it really would be nice to see that phrase because with him the default assumption is that he is NOT giving what he considers to beó an opinion.

(even though it really is)

Quote Originally Posted by Tete1805 View Post
    I think you can simply delete the Player folder in your save, no?
    Very possibly. Iíll try that next time I die. Might become an interesting manual dp.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    Dude, that's the corner where I store my rocks. He'll break some!
    We can make a lot of money if they are insured. Worst case, we`ll ..you can donate them for roadworks.
    I want 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Might become an interesting manual dp.
    That's a shocking way of putting it...

Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    -It is not a constant through different situations and still creates the need to unequip, store and equip.
    Surely there is a fear of losing them while casually clearing a POI for example, but if you know you will be putting yourself at great risk by e.g. clearing that dog pen or fighting the BM horde, it will still compel some players to take off that e.g. epic mining helmet they so luckily found earlier.

-It is not a constant through your playthrough.
    You are terrified of losing that e.g. trusty duster that allows you to live in the desert without penalties in the early game, but after a while you end up having enough dusters in your storage to equip a whole army. It is important for it to be a constant through the playthrough and not get mitigated in the late game, because other progress venues already mitigate your chance of dying and if you mitigate death consequences, you also consequently mitigate the value of these venues.
    I wasn't prescribing it as THE fix to the argument of the day around here. It IS a disappointing fix, but it adds a thrill. More that there is an option there not mentioned and that brainstorming a precise mechanic before a lot of expansive(and guaranteed) content is added isn't very productive. Good to discuss it to nail down what makes for a good death penalty, but i doubt anyone is going to suggest whatever makes it to gold just yet.

The kind of behavior you describe is not preventable anyway imo. There will always be players willing to do tedious bs as workarounds, including me quite often. Ive never purposefully handicapped myself at crucial times when playing delete all option, though. I put all that gear together with the mods I wanted so I can use it for challenging stuff, not so I can hide from playing the game and stare at it. As far as a constant threat throughout the game, not sure constant is possible but the new loot mechanics make those _perfect_ items more rare.

I like the feeling of worrying that I'll lose most of my identity on death, even if the actual consequences are just go do more grinding (aka play a sandbox game). I think it could be more productive to figure out a good experience rather than just consequences. And I just don't think 1-life dead is dead is feasible at all. Roland's idea is more forgiving and provides some narrative but would definitely end up as optional. I'm not sitting through world Gen just because I got sloppy.

Captain Obvious
    So were is that video Madmole wants to put out?

- - - Updated - - -

Guy's. Incase you don't know. Madmole put out a few new post on Twitter. https://twitter.com/joelhuenink

Refugee
    Hi First time signing up to forum. I enjoy 7dtd alot.

i would like to know if there are any new features or items etc.. that will not be announced until A18 is released? i need surprises

Quote Originally Posted by ReikoXAN View Post
    Hi First time signing up to forum. I enjoy 7dtd alot.

i would like to know if there are any new features or items etc.. that will not be announced until A18 is released? i need surprises
    Quite possibly, but if TFP were to say what they were, they'd then be ipso facto announced, and so would no longer count as "not announced".

;-)

Maybe we can get another one of those mantis shrimp hints on it. "Announced" and indecipherable cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    ...Could be to start out a very small percent chance to actually die. At first you usually get saved and have near-death sickness but any death could be dead is dead. Each near death could raise the percentage a bit so the threat of an actual death gets higher the more you die.

I think I like this device.