View Poll Results: A18 Developer Diary

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A18 Stable is Out!

0 0%
  • 0 0%
Page 2138 of 2718 FirstFirst ... 11381638203820882128213621372138213921402148218822382638 ... LastLast
Results 32,056 to 32,070 of 40763

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    We could allow t6 crafting but we'd enable random stats. Imagine rolling the dice of 18 parts to see what you got?
    Im not too keen on that idea. Crafting is useless anyway, keep it to scavenging. People are out there looking for t6. They can be bought at traders anyway.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Ok, just had a very annoying bug: before starting a POI fetch quest, I put down a storage chest to store additional loot I was carrying.
    Well, starting the quest, the POI got reset, including deleting my chest (and all its contents).

Maybe you can scan for player placed chests, and keep them in the reset POI, when not colliding with a POI placed block.

Or show some warning message
    We do the same; except putting the chest on the road with the bikes.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by RacketLord View Post
    Hey all!

Just fired up the new experimental update, but most unfortunately it didn't solve my rather odd performance issue. The game absolutely, positively will not run well in Fullscreen mode. It's choppy, laggy and totally unplayable. However, once I enable windowed mode the game is super smooth and a joy to play. It's just a shame because I can't stand playing in windowed mode. I'm just stumped as to what could be the issue. My system is as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4.0GHz
    GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 1080 8GB, latest drivers installed (436.48)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Aside from this, what I played of the update so far has been immensely fun from a design standpoint. Rage makes zombies scary for me again (early on, still need to get further), looting is fun and satisfying, food poisoning hasn't been an issue for me yet. I'm super hopeful I can get this fullscreen issue sorted so I can really sink my teeth into A18.

Great work overall, devs!
    That's weird, I have an almost identical build to you (except I'm running 16GB of RAM), and I get a pretty stable 60FPS in most areas, except when looking at distant terrain (which drops it down to 30-40 FPS). I'm running almost max settings @ 1440p

Hunter
    I run at the lowest settings possible
    how do I use gfx af 0"? in console or in game parameteres

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Awesome. I read your post about degradation. I was thinking its damage would stay the same but degradation loses 25% per repair. Using a work bench and some parts you could restore it to full ability. So keep wasting parts on it to keep it fully functional. Optionally we could lower its damage and other stats with each repair.
    Actually a good idea. In old-school diablo 1 the warrior could repair on the go but at a cost of permanent durability loss versus going to Griswold (npc) to repair. I'm for it. Gives another element to worry about out in the open (or even another motivation to get/find workbench)

Quote Originally Posted by Good Idea View Post
    In console.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Idea View Post
    In the console. Press F1 to open it up.

Hunter
    thanks that worked

@Madmole
    Ben "A18 is like they went from A16 to A18 skipping A17. Its like they took all the good stuff from A17 and junked the bull♥♥♥♥. Dude you were right, A18 plays and feels like A16 again, I;m so ♥♥♥♥ing happy"

My brother just said this on the phone when i asked him what he thinks.

Inventor
    Weird RWG map, lots of sliced terrain:

rwg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalLens View Post
    @madmole So a realistic, regular schedule late-game would be the following?

Day #1: Mine lead from dawn to dawn the next day
    Day #2: Mine nitrate from dawn to dawn the next day
    Day #3: Mine coal from dawn to dawn the next day
    Day #4: Wrench cars all day/mine iron and/or stone all day if needed
    Day #5: Wrench cars all day/scavenge for brass
    Day #6: Wrench cars all day/scavenge for brass
    Day #7: Final base preparations (expansions, upgrades, etc.) and fighting the horde
    That is what one tester with a large group of guys said.

Here's my late game experience:

12am to 4am 3 days a week: Mine coal, nitrate and lead.

Prior to crafting gas I'll spend a few full evenings from 12 am to dawn salvaging cars for fuel and parts, or I will deliberately take some long quests and harvest every vehicle on the roads there. Take a different way home and expose new map space.

4am to 8pm 6 days a week: Loot and visit traders on restock day.

Get home at 8 to 9 (next door to trader) and sell everything I don't want. Take a new quest if I turn one in so I can get cracking at 4am or go car harvesting all the way there from 12 am to 4 am.

10 to midnight: Unload vehicle and backpack into storage crates, restock forges, cook if needed, harvest crops if they are ready, make a few base upgrades and get spikes crafting etc.

I basically focus around one trader until I get a vehicle, then I start doing gas runs 3-4 nights a week while exploring for new traders at night. This way I don't waste daylight looking for new traders. I want all the traders exposed so I can get all the books and not miss any great deals, buy up all the ammo (of my specialized weapon) concrete, etc. I can never get enough concrete but I build my own bases as you've seen and rarely stay at a POI because IMO its more work than building a base and I like a few setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Ya it seems to be raining AKs all around. Not just in my game but other videos I've seen. I have far more AKs and their parts then any other weapon. Might be a bug.
    Doubt it, haven't found a single AK in my MP and SP worlds.

It's just random.

@madmole any tips for playing as an agility character? Obviously my main strength is using stealth and not outright combat. But in those moments where I have to defend myself, I feel like I'm so squishy even with the armor pieces I've found.

Do the various mineral deposits (iron, lead, etc.) appear on the map like stone/boulders do?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor3D View Post
    Nah, that's not why. I just like crafting stuff and throwing it in boxes just in case I need it to keep busy at night at a base when I'm established. I haven't crafted much ammo yet. But, it seems like the primary things I will be crafting are going to be ammo and medical. In past alphas, i'd be doing a lot more different types of crafting, upgrading, combining, etc..But, we don't have to do near as much of that stuff anymore, unfortunately. I've been looting day and night on A18. Like I said, for me anyway, once i'm inside a POI - I can't distinguish any difference in danger between daytime or nighttime..Most all zeds I encounter in a POI are feral or special infected anyway - day or night. Might as well just loot. But after awhile, I'll probably start staying in the base more and more and at that point i'll probably take all the brass i've stacked and end up crafting ammo and medical supplies to keep busy while waiting for horde nights and stuff. Who knows..still too early for me to tell how it will all play out in the end. It's the beginning i'm concerned about.
    As I've said we want to give players a chance to succeed. To spread their wings and try things to play how they want to play. But eventually impending doom is coming and all those things you saved up will have meaning, and then you will start mining, and buying ammo etc etc... and you will run out and be looking at traps and any better base designs, etc etc. Just give it time, you guys wanted a late game, I gave it to you.