View Poll Results: A18 Developer Diary

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • A18 Stable is Out!

0 0%
  • 0 0%
Page 2720 of 2733 FirstFirst ... 17202220262026702710271827192720272127222730 ... LastLast
Results 40,786 to 40,800 of 40994

Thread: Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by agrastiOs View Post
    After all, aren't some of the veterans here complaining that 7DTD is becoming too similar to other games?
    Yes, and I think it's the differences that set it apart from the rest. They've already got a solid base unlike any other survival-type games, so I figure there's really not much they could to ruin it at this point lol. Even if they tried to go full looter-shooter and ape Borderlands, there's still enough good original stuff in 7d2d that other games aren't doing that will keep 7d2d standing out from the crowd.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by naive1000 View Post
    Personally, I'm not much enjoying the new version. I'm on day 9 of this new version and have had food poisoning 5 times now; I'm not eating anything strange and I've been cooking stuff. I find it ridiculous that I'm constantly starving. I'm about to give up on alpha 18 as a wash and move on from the game till the next version. Which is sad, because I think they've made some changes that are great and they're getting the graphics looking really good. But, spending all my time looking for food, when they spawned me in the middle of BFE with only two or three small POIs nearby and zero animals, is BS (random world). The food/stamina system is really broken. I've always enjoyed 7dtd up till now, even when it was tough, but now...
    keep your eyes open for vitamins too. if you eat one before hand you will never get food poisoning or dysentery while it's in effect. Fortitude also has a skill that reduces food poison chance to 0 for most foods if you level it. and that's honestly just really bad luck Never seen food poisoning that many times in a short period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsil View Post
    Two Quality of Life requests/suggestions.

1. Allow option to turn off start screen music. I frequently want to queue up 7DTD before playing it, or want to take a break, etc. Unfortunately, the start screen music prevents me from doing other things that use sound so I have to completely exit the application. I would much rather leave it running in the background for quicker launch.

2. Start the game in paused mode (similar to what happens when I hit escape) thus allowing me to actually begin playing when I am ready. This would allow me to do other things while waiting for the game to load. Given the long time to create and load the environment in recent iterations this feature would be really handy, especially if combined with feature request #1.
    In the sound options menu there is a slider specifically for menu music, you can set it to 0 to turn it off
    Last edited by Seraphimus; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beerfly View Post
    There is much more under the hood than you think buddy. Much more. Don`t speculate, game goes on.
    Yes, of course, i understand... But, until you voice it - it's just empty words with a clever look...
    I would listen even to your guesses

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    .... I always take a stack of tea with me and when the thirst indicator comes up (which is also the time when I would get detrimental effects from thirst) I drink. At that time the numerical display shows me exactly how many bottles of tea I can drink before wasting water.

I sometimes also drink something before going out of the base. Again, I can just drink one tea or bottled water and see exactly if I can drink another or would be wasting water.

Food can be handled somewhat similar, I don't even take food with me but fill myself up during the night/at the base.....
    That's it! ...difficult...
    Yeah, but i'd just like to take a look at the food strip...

There's no need to check the stats for food.
    ////
    If you see, the stamina bar and the food bar shows the same number. Even for water, there are no stamina regen penalties until the teardrop icon appears on the UI, so the game shows you when it's time to drink.
    Do you know how many people install such UI? It can not be that they all do not understand that there are gray stripes and some numbers that are equal...
    No no, friend - you don't understand, you don't need to explain it to me. I'm pretty good at the technical side. I can't understand why they did it.
    Very strange, but all that you say about the convenience of this - it seems completely different works for me and not only for me (this is confirmed in many other games).

..... After all, aren't some of the veterans here complaining that 7DTD is becoming too similar to other games?
    noo...of course we complain about something else ...come on...
    that's not what we mean.

Modern 7dtd is good only in comparison with itself, but not in isolation from the earlier versions. You can not understand this if you are familiar with this game later A12
    Last edited by n2n1; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:09 PM.

Hunter
    Personally, I'm not much enjoying the new version. I'm on day 9 of this new version and have had food poisoning 5 times now; I'm not eating anything strange and I've been cooking stuff. I find it ridiculous that I'm constantly starving. I'm about to give up on alpha 18 as a wash and move on from the game till the next version. Which is sad, because I think they've made some changes that are great and they're getting the graphics looking really good. But, spending all my time looking for food, when they spawned me in the middle of BFE with only two or three small POIs nearby and zero animals, is BS (random world). The food/stamina system is really broken. I've always enjoyed 7dtd up till now, even when it was tough, but now...
    Me and my 3 man crew struggled hard too, but survival is teh name of the game. We eventually over came that hurdle, but for up to day 20ish I think, it was always looting to eat, not just looting for gear and books.

Stick to it, I too think that a18 is a great step forward. The farming tree is still very important IMO, but lucky I had someone do taht tree and freed me up to do my own skill tree. If solo, I'd still start with farming then move to other trees.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by casperinmd View Post
    Me and my 3 man crew struggled hard too, but survival is teh name of the game. We eventually over came that hurdle, but for up to day 20ish I think, it was always looting to eat, not just looting for gear and books.

Stick to it, I too think that a18 is a great step forward. The farming tree is still very important IMO, but lucky I had someone do taht tree and freed me up to do my own skill tree. If solo, I'd still start with farming then move to other trees.
    I've been putting my early points in Str for clubs (for stun/knockback) and better tools early on, and then 1 Int and bike making not long after because that's such a QoL boost. Farming, meh, I can find enough PoI plots if I make a point of looking that I can plant every seed I find easily enough. By the time I'm ready to harvest and cook my own grub I've got the points to make harvesting plants worth doing and I'll spend several at once.

After that it depends on what I want to do or what RNG has offered in the way of weapons, but I'm leaning toward a club, shotgun and later AK/M60 fighting skill set. Covers melee, short range and distance in two attributes I'd be putting points in for non-combat reasons anyway. Early game I usually keep the first pistol I find for birds and dogs and that would eventually be swapped for the AK.

Just wondering, are they going to add back the centered half blocks? I have a friend playing who wants to fix some of the walls in game that the zombies have destroyed.

Just wondering, are they going to add back the centered half blocks? I have a friend playing who wants to fix some of the walls in game that the zombies have destroyed.
    Unknown.
    I would suggest adding a crafting recipe for them in the mean time so your friend can make those repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by casperinmd View Post

Playing solo, I find so much canned food, it's never a problem. I farm only because it's something to do, not because I have to. This is a possible balance issue. I just now realized that my Steam settings reverted and I wasn't getting experimental builds anymore, so I haven't tried 18.2 yet. I didn't see any notes about lowering the canned food loot amount, so we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    . I can't understand why they did it.
    I can help. They did it first to reduce the amount of indicators on the screen. When they originally removed the food and water bar there was no integration. They simply removed them to reduce the number of bars from four to two. This was in Alpha 13 when they also implemented the pop up notifications as well as the sound effects.

Itís also important to remember that at the time there were zero negative effects for hunger or thirst until they actually reached absolute zero.

With the ample warnings of both visual and auditory types it was felt that uncluttering the world view was a good thing.

Eventually they moved to the integrated survival system we have now. With the current system a food bar would just be redundant because the stamina bar literally is the food bar. The ISS was developed to show the connection between calories and stamina as well as hydration and recovery. They wanted max stamina and current stamina. They wanted max health and current health. They wanted some damage to effect max health and some to effect current health and allow food to recover some current hp but only first aid to recover the max hp. They wanted to be able to represent this with the two bars they already had knowing that a third bar for stealth was being added to the hud.

The ISS is more complex than simple food and water bars but as Meganoth explained, it does the job and represents what the devs intend really well. Itís flaw is requiring from the player a bit of a learning curve. Once learned you can easily survive without any problem and have plenty of health and stamina.

What you cannot easily do Is obsessively keep your food topped at between 140-150% unless you mod the game to let you do tható and playing the feel-satisfied-with-a-topped-off-bar game definitely sounds like a mod to me anyway...or an iPhone game.
    Last edited by Roland; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I can help. They did it first to reduce the amount of indicators on the screen. When they originally removed the food and water bar there was no integration. They simply removed them to reduce the number of bars from four to two. This was in Alpha 13 when they also implemented the pop up notifications as well as the sound effects.

Itís also important to remember that at the time there were zero negative effects for hunger or thirst until they actually reached absolute zero.

With the ample warnings of both visual and auditory types it was felt that uncluttering the world view was a good thing.

Eventually they moved to the integrated survival system we have now. With the current system a food bar would just be redundant because the stamina bar literally is the food bar. The ISS was developed to show the connection between calories and stamina as well as hydration and recovery. They wanted max stamina and current stamina. They wanted max health and current health. They wanted some damage to effect max health and some to effect current health and allow food to recover some current hp but only first aid to recover the max hp. They wanted to be able to represent this with the two bars they already had knowing that a third bar for stealth was being added to the hud.

The ISS is more complex than simple food and water bars but as Meganoth explained, it does the job and represents what the devs intend really well. Itís flaw is requiring from the player a bit of a learning curve. Once learned you can easily survive without any problem and have plenty of health and stamina.

What you cannot easily do Is obsessively keep your food topped at between 140-150% unless you mod the game to let you do tható and playing the feel-satisfied-with-a-topped-off-bar game definitely sounds like a mod to me anyway...or an iPhone game.
    I think all that is missing is some type of tutorial on how stamina/food/thirst works and I'm not talking about a journal note.

The journal notes are akin to an operations manual, most people dont read them or would refer not to. Dont get me wrong, I think the journal notes is a good start but would hope to see more intuitive designs the closer we get to v1.0. (e.g. forced journal pop ups (can be disabled) the 1st time the player gets hungry/thristy, quest-based tutorial like the starter quest that tasks the player with gathering water and food)

Quote Originally Posted by Laz Man View Post
    I think all that is missing is some type of tutorial on how stamina/food/thirst works and I'm not talking about a journal note.

The journal notes are akin to an operations manual, most people dont read them or would refer not to. Dont get me wrong, I think the journal notes is a good start but would hope to see more intuitive designs the closer we get to v1.0. (e.g. forced journal pop ups (can be disabled) the 1st time the player gets hungry/thristy, quest-based tutorial like the starter quest that tasks the player with gathering water and food)
    The tutorial as it is pretty barebones, in that it gets the player started but doesn't truly teach them anything.

It’s also important to remember that at the time there were zero negative effects for hunger or thirst until they actually reached absolute zero.

The ISS is more complex than simple food and water bars but as Meganoth explained, it does the job and represents what the devs intend really well. It’s flaw is requiring from the player a bit of a learning curve. Once learned you can easily survive without any problem and have plenty of health and stamina.

What you cannot easily do Is obsessively keep your food topped at between 140-150% unless you mod the game to let you do that— and playing the feel-satisfied-with-a-topped-off-bar game definitely sounds like a mod to me anyway...or an iPhone game.
    Thank you Roland!
    This system i do not like because of my sensitivity to the comfort of perception. It turns out that on the one hand they wanted to simplify the HUD (initially) but as a result it turned out to be difficult and clumsy (of course only in my opinion).
    I'll explain why.
    The described idea is really good in the imagination, but in reality, even if it is implemented as planned - it conflicts with the perception of the person as such. Not everyone can notice this flaw of communication immediately. But a lot of people will still feel it, later... that will be completely unexpected for developers.
    I can't go into psychology right now, this has to do with really complicated things.

In short - it's not intuitive.
    Let's just say - if this information was broadcast directly into my consciousness - then it was all right OK.
    But all this is projected exactly on the plane of the screen - and consequently, for the brain, undergoes a transformation which should not be. In other words, abstractly, when everything works correctly - the representation of the many strips on the screen is the middle, the lens for the projector beam, when it passes to the screen (our perception) and there is already projected in the form of the system they made now.

This system has no place on the COMPUTER screen.
    This system should arise in the head of the player, through the transmission of information using 4 bars on the screen.

What you cannot easily do Is obsessively keep your food topped at between 140-150% unless you mod the game to let you do that— and playing the feel-satisfied-with-a-topped-off-bar game definitely sounds like a mod to me anyway...or an iPhone game.
    Do you know why there are so many visual indicator in the plane?
    In order for the pilot to notice the trend before something happens. And their system - is an alarm that sounds when the plane is already falling.

I think - this is one of the mistakes, for which in consequence will criticize the game when it is released... But we'll see.
    Last edited by n2n1; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:27 AM.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    We can only speculate about some of the reasons, usually there are more than one. But at a guess:

3) It also simulates (with a little abstracting) that the more you work the more tired you get and eventually need to eat again. More abstract is that it also heals you, but that is probably done for game balance instead of immersion. Water has a more subtle influence, just like in reality
    Isn't water the other way around? Much more important than food. I can not eat and work for a week, but without water I'd soon be a withering heap

Other than that, I totally agree, the hud shows all required information. Perhaps not aesthetically perfect, but the info is there

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    Do you know why there are so many visual indicator in the plane?
    In order for the pilot to notice the trend before something happens. And their system - is an alarm that sounds when the plane is already falling.

I think - this is one of the mistakes, for which in consequence will criticize the game when it is released... But we'll see.
    There are visual indicators in this system before anything bad happens. The first is when your max stamina shrinks from the right edge of the bar and that negative space starts widening. At this point there is still plenty of stamina to do anything you want and there are no detrimental consequences to your health or well-being. The max stamina shrinking from the right edge is an early warning sign.

The second warning is when the orange hunger icon pops up on the left side of the screen. This tells you that soon you will begin to experience negative consequences from being hungry so you should go and eat immediately.

The final warning is when the red hunger icon pops up and you begin to experience health consequences that grow more dire as time goes on.

Hunger, like flying a plane, is a serious matter which is why the ISS gives so many warning indicators that we can pay attention to and course correct as needed. The problem is that some people never want their hunger meter to ever dip below 140% much less ever seeing the slightest hint of a sliver of black showing up on the right side of their stamina bar. Even though there truly is nothing limiting or harmful about being at 90% max stamina other than being an indicator that you could eat something, they cannot...uh...stomach it.

I wouldn't mind appeasing those people with a small green line at the bottom of the stamina bar that shows fullness levels from 100% to 150% since I really do think THAT is truly the crux of the whole matter. But I would be sad indeed to lose the current system to just four separate bars.

There is no problem adding hunger and thirst makers to the UI as an option.
    And Im sure 90% of player would want to have them there.

This "indirect" method of signaling hunger and thirst is not more atmospheric, its just annoying.
    As it makes the player have to open some submenu to see the actual value.

This also does not need to be some fat bar, but simply little % number text fields.

If the indicator screen should be less visible, the sidemenu with detail information could clap out on demand (when opening the inventory screen for example, or as option only when a number falls below 100%)
    Last edited by Damocles; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:27 AM.