Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Official Alpha 18 Dev Clean thread

Quote Originally Posted by FileMachete View Post
    ^ fair enough. It is a game and yours to boot, so understandable that gameplay balance can trump realism.

^ not really understanding this sentence.

I'll freely admit to being a poor writer. Didn't manage to complete my thoughts on Super sonic vs. Sub sonic ammunition.

A high powered rifle with a suppressor still makes a quite loud super sonic 'crack', when using normal ammo.
    The source of that crack is quite difficult to pinpoint compared to same setup minus the can.
    For gameplay, to me, the ideal setup would be that normal ammo would wake up all nearby zeds but they wouldn't know exactly where the noise came from.
    Adding & using sub-sonic ammo would be when the sound profile wouldn't nessisarily wake zeds in nearby rooms.
    And a bow would always be quieter than a suppressed rifle using sub-sonic rounds.

Peace
    That is pretty much our goal too. I just meant we don't use the realism trump card at design meetings, if realism was that great, nobody would play video games

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    Speaking of that, I wish they would have left them black. Now you can't even tell them apart most of the time because they are the same color.
    They aren't black with glowing eyes? Thats weird I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace312 View Post
    I understand your position... The game has to appeal to a wide audience.

But really... Whats so bad about the min max meta?
    No one is forceing you to max everything... And the game should reflect that (you dont need master in everything, to "win" the game).

Its like you are catering to players with OCD.
    No we're trying to avoid them by not having any grindy loops that force players to craft 1000 daggers, run in a corner with a weight on the W key etc. The perk buying system allows that. We went to far with it though and enabled crafting of high level weapons and didn't have books so it kind of killed looting. With some balance we believe it will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Incentives. I witnessed the game change completely from people having as their main objectives things like harvesting materials, building a shelter, hunting for meat, scavenging POI's, and starting a garden-- and doing those things in an organic and survival focused manner to the game becoming all about chasing experience points for the purpose of leveling up as quickly as possible.

Now I'm not knocking that type of gameplay for those who like it but it was a dramatic departure of the types of incentives and rewards the player was exposed to and in my opinion-- not for the better.

Even the new system (imo) gives too much incentive to the player to directly increase their experience and level up by grinding even without LBD acting as highly addictive drug for that gameplay style. I have just one last hurdle to overcome which I'm hoping to get help on this week and then my mod will be ready for public testing in which xp is completely bypassed. You will gain skillpoints simply for surviving for a full day and for completing quests. Whether you kill zombies, avoid them, mine, farm, scavenge, trade...whatever—None of that will gain you xp and no activity will act as a missed opportunity where you could have done something else more valuable to level yourself up. You will take actions for their own merit and not as a means to gaining xp efficiently.
    You know you need to go gold when the forum moderators are modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazmyr View Post
    Good morning all I hope everyone is well,

I really like the look of the new division of weapons through the attributes. I do have some questions and a balance item to bring up.

MadMole,

- New Attribute and Perk division
    Will Fortitude and Agility still drive Max HP and Stamina? I love the idea of Clubs and Shotguns being in Strength as that is my bread and butter, but I am wondering if I will have to budget skill points for Fortitude and Agility to increase Max HP and Stamina.

- Balance Suggestion
    I think the Nerdy Glasses are too OP. Especially if you get them early. Having 10% XP boost and craft at a +1 quality level is too much IMHO.
    Especially if the quality of the item will drive the damage it does. I believe you hinted at going back to this.
    I think it should be the 10% xp bonus only. Or give it something else to do with learning. Also if it is felt that 10% is too little without another bonus then it can be increased to 15% or 20%, what ever seems fair. I do think that the +1 crafting level is OP though and will be more so in the new system.

Thank you! have a great one!
    Yes, and I believe that is the plan for nerd glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecolours View Post
    Madmole, you did some work on making money off being a lumberjack or miner, by selling raw goods to the trader. I have a suggestion to further that idea in A18.

I know you hate the idea of classes or professions in 7DTD, but what if you could choose from a series of books or perks that let you become proficient in a one particular money making profession. You would only be allowed to choose from one profession and specialize in it (lumberjack, miner, scavenger, trapper) and get a small bonus selling to the trader.
    The books can only add, not subtract or block.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I don't think it would have widespread appeal. For example there was a lot of negativity when loot was hugely nerfed from killing zombies. With no loot and no xp I think a lot of people wouldn't be very happy. It appeals to some obviously but not for a vanilla experience.

I firmly believe that modding is for creating an alternate experience and not for fixing supposed problems. I'm doing this for my own preferences having fully played and enjoyed the vanilla experience. Even though I personally don't like an xp incentive tempting me to not play organically others really love and enjoy the process of accruing experience.
    We might remove the xp popout so you can't tie a value very easily to an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctoras View Post
    and again, sounds like a good direction for the game. I like what I hear and looking forward to jumping from A16 to A18 :-)

Not a fan of "classes" either. I have a degree in economics and later studied medicine to become a doctor. If I had gone by classes, I would have been done with business studies, because my skills were maxed out lol. Glad that life offers more than one class.
    You can label certain playstyles as a class, but in 7 Days its really build the character you want that fits your play style. The tricky part is surviving and not getting too weak because you over spec'd into something and under spec'd elsewhere. But to me that is an interesting puzzle to solve as a gamer.

In light of the fact that Madmole has been very active in answering questions daily and also is updating his own OP in the dev diary, this thread has proven to be superfluous so I'm suspending it for now. If things change we will start it up again but for now the dev diary is mostly on topic.