Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alpha 18 Dev Clean thread

Quote Originally Posted by Death2gnomes View Post
    come on be real here. "its too difficult for MM to implement it in time for a18 and its schedule"
    I've pushed for lockpicking but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter in a fully destroyable world. Most the times its faster to mine through a wall than a door. THe poi's have a mining free path to use, so again, not really needed. IF I make an acid that is quiet to destroy doors then the stealth guy can win without lockpicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    ...yet traders are invincible and there is such a mechanic called a "land claim block" that feeds the laziness of players...

Look, I'm not saying don't lock tools in campfires (in fact I think that would be dumb too) but let's go ahead and remove invincible traders and LCB's as well. =)

Make this game REALLY socially dynamic.
    Traders are traders, they have nothing to do with player dynamics. For all intensive purposes they are a POI that lets you craft stuff into dukes, where you craft that into whatever you can.

And one persons hated feature is 5000 other people's favorite feature, sharp stick or LBD so we aren't going to be seeing any huge changes moving forward, mostly polish new content and optimizations.

it does matter, sure its "faster" to destroy, but not everyone wants to just destroy everything. Some of us want lockpicks for the immersion, some want to it as a diversion from the so call norm of this game. But since you are set on this issue, guess its up to the modders to make it happen, again and again.

Some want lockpicks because its common sense in their style of gameplay.
    I already said I pushed for lockpicks, but sure turn it into hate on madmole if you want. We can't be in alpha 17 years we need to go gold so anything that isn't 10 minutes of xml or not on the KS list is getting curb stomped.

Quote Originally Posted by TSBX View Post
    What intensive purpose is that, exactly? Also what's an LBD. You're making it hard to keep up.
    Ah its refreshing to see someone doesn't know what LBD is. That confirms my squeaky wheel suspicion thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    May I ask, who was it that shot down the lockpick idea, and what their reason was? I mean, modders already made it happen, so I'm unclear as to what the roadblocks would be for you guys to add the feature?

-A
    Its more about adding scope for something you can already do in the game, break blocks. There are thousands of doors in the POIs and going through and adding a lock difficulty to each one would add tons of scope and we're going gold ASAP so anything that doesn't fulfill a KS goal isn't getting added. Level designers spent a lot of time designing dungeons and the locked doors are locked for a reason, they best experience is following the path we made for you. Sure you can break the door and go another way, but we're not going to make it easy for you by adding lock picks.

At the end of the day I agreed it added scope without adding much to game play. Sorry we've been in alpha too long, we need to finish 7 days so we're not those guys in alpha for 10 years. Maybe the next game can have locks, we will have the basics in it would be easier then.

Not trying to hate here, if I was, you'd know it and I'd be banned. Sorry, was just trying to make my point about what matters to some of us players and what doesnt.
    No worries. To each of us, there are things we would love to see but unfortunately we can't keep adding/changing things forever. Thats how we ended up in alpha almost 6 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.devolver View Post
    Quick question for you Joel, because I think I'm ready for getting my dreams stomped on once and for all today... Will we ever get friendly NPCs besides traders, who can actually walk and shoot and accompany us like in Fallout games or was it just my wishful thinking this whole time?
    Probably not because everyone on a server would want a companion, which would double the expense. Unity's character controllers eat CPU like crazy, so unless we write our own / license the source / pull some amazing optizations out of our butts I don't see it happening. Plus its one thing to make a bandit look good a follower might glitch bad on ladders or getting to player bases. I would say no but maybe down the road. We've hired some amazing guys so I'm starting to see the impossible become a reality which is a great sign. Why not just play MP?

I agree it would be really cool, but I don't know that our small team is up for that with this game. We are working towards it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    Maaaaybe.

That's assuming the hooks are still in there with A17 and moving forward. With A17 you guys have yanked a lot of code that modders were relying on...

-A
    LOL I don't think so. I'd venture to say that the new codebase can do 98% of what the old did, but the old could do 10% of what the new can.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    If he makes an acid bomb that quietly removes the lock then that should be the easiest thing in the world to change into being a lock pick. I think I could practically do it on imagination alone by squinting so that the acid bomb icon blurs out and I can tell myself it's a lock pick. Modders should have no problem with it.
    It would be super easy to just make a lock pick model (gun) that does high damage to blocks with a certain tag (coming soon in a build near you). THe harder part is having it UNLOCK locked doors. And to deal with that in MP raids. But breaking a secure to an insecure one is just damage. You just have to make sure it doesn't deal big damage to entities/stone etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackelmyer View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm with TFP on this. Considering what is still left on the "Core Game" list to do, lock picking is a bit of a daunting task. Any one of the prefabbers out there knows how challenging it is to go through and tweak all their prefabs because of a game change. A16 to A17 wasn't exactly a small example of this.

I'd rather see those static NPC's, Bandits, AI improvements, RWG improvements, more in game content, more quests, factions (which I believe is something you've mentioned), and so on. Lots left to do. Lots to improve upon.

And I'm pretty sure lock picks are already a modded thing in some of the Overhauls (at least one).

- - - Updated - - -
    As would TFP and most players IMO. There is always going to be 500 "wouldn't it be cool if" features but we need to stay focused on finishing. Not adding another way to skin the cat. Theres 500 ways to break blocks in this game we don't need another. Not that it isn't cool, but confusing wants and needs here.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaSyt View Post
    Will that M60 add a walk speed debuff? I think it should. I see so many games cough *Far Cry* that make their machine guns fully auto sniper rifles that a malnourished 11 yr old can run around with no consequences.
    It adds a full emcumbrance to a str 10 character and breaks both legs if a skinny str 1 noob picks it up I don't know yet, we're just getting it in but yeah if not a speed debuff a stamina debuff to aim like the others, if not both.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.devolver View Post
    Thanks, I didn't catch those posts. So it's a very small chance that there will be NPC followers, I don't take it as a promise, but chance is still a chance. I wouldn't mind crappy NPC followers as long as they do the trick. Followers made by Bethesda had to be fixed by modders and everyone still loved it. Many things were crappy and then got improved over time. Remember disappearing minibikes? That required a lot of time and patience to fix. We are all patient as long as we know that the good stuff is actually on its way even if it takes its sweet long time to arrive.
    I'm pretty sure modders can add followers very easily. Just change their AI in xml on who they target. The thing is we can't ship "crappy followers", but modders can. We need everything to be high quality as possible and there is about 50% of the game that isn't good enough yet, so we have a lot of polishing to do. Time flies so fast too we need to be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonkid View Post
    About stelth and diversion gameplay.
    I would really like to see this fixed.

Beeing able to use decoys should be an option.
    I'm finishing up the fixes. Sleepers will now awaken when near an explosion, even if taking no damage. I also fixed a bug with explosions applying reduced damage and often none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drawfox View Post
    Hi guys, it's been a while.
    I'm loving a17 so far, harder than learn new things, is forget old mechanics =)
    MM, I loved the master chef perk and the new recipes. One reason I play Project Zomboid, it's the amount of foods and recipes, I hope that will be more recipes in the future using canned food.
    We'll get a functional microwave or electric stove in the future, so we don't need campfires anymore?
    I have a note to design some more of these. I'm doing the books and some new quests for gatherer/builder/scavenger types though so my plate is really full at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JayzenFreeze View Post
    Any ETA on optimizations? My bro used to play daily with me in this game on medium settings around 50FPS now on even lowest settings his max is 15FPS standing still in the desert.
    Hopefully soon, we're seeing some incredible gains with occlusion culling, its just a matter of solving the artifacts.