Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1142

Thread: Native Linux server (with management scripts)

I can answer these.

Quote Originally Posted by jab73180 View Post
    I have mods to put in, they go into sdtd/engine/mods or do they go somewhere else?
    They go under /home/sdtd/engine/Mods

Does the serverconfig.xml get used in sdtd/engine? Does the info just get pulled from /sdtd/instances/name/ config.xml?
    Each instance has a config.xml you configure the server settings in.

How do I add files from a windows machine to the server?
    There may be a few ways to do this, but my personal preferred method is to use WinSCP to establish an SCP session to the Linux server and dump the files into your SSH user home folder, then SSH in as your user and copy them to the appropriate sdtd folders. Once the files are in place make sure to chown (change owner) the files.

For example if you use the Nitrogen tool by Damocles to generate your own maps you can upload it to /home/sdtd/engine/Data/Worlds. (also try to keep your world names short or use _ between multiple words in the name as linux just likes that better and it's less confusing than having to use \ for proper formatting of hard spaces in the name.)

Code:
    chown -r sdtd:sdtd /home/sdtd/engine/Data/Worlds/<World name>
    Or if you copied files into /home/sdtd/engine/Mods
    Code:
    chown -r sdtd:sdtd /home/sdtd/engine/Mods
    As stated above, chown stands for change owner. sdtd has to own all the files under the folder for things to function properly. This is especially important if your restoring files from the backup.

NOTE: I personally have a symbolic link to a separate hard drive that I have mounted as /archive. I have symbolically linked /home/sdtd/backup --> /archive/backup/sdtd.
    Last edited by morggin; 12-18-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Do you guys have a recommended restart interval? Right now i am restarting every 8 hours with a cronjob.
    Code:
    20 6,14,22 * * * /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh kill naboo && sleep 300 && /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh start naboo
    Could i get away with just restarting once every 24 hours or dose the server get wonky if it runs that long?

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morggin View Post
    Do you guys have a recommended restart interval? Right now i am restarting every 8 hours with a cronjob.
    Code:
    20 6,14,22 * * * /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh kill naboo && sleep 300 && /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh start naboo
    Could i get away with just restarting once every 24 hours or dose the server get wonky if it runs that long?
    I used to do 24 hours, I'm doing 12 now.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by morggin View Post
    I can answer these.

They go under /home/sdtd/engine/Mods

Each instance has a config.xml you configure the server settings in.

There may be a few ways to do this, but my personal preferred method is to use WinSCP to establish an SCP session to the Linux server and dump the files into your SSH user home folder, then SSH in as your user and copy them to the appropriate sdtd folders. Once the files are in place make sure to chown (change owner) the files.

For example if you use the Nitrogen tool by Damocles to generate your own maps you can upload it to /home/sdtd/engine/Data/Worlds. (also try to keep your world names short or use _ between multiple words in the name as linux just likes that better and it's less confusing than having to use \ for proper formatting of hard spaces in the name.)

Code:
    chown -r sdtd:sdtd /home/sdtd/engine/Data/Worlds/<World name>
    Or if you copied files into /home/sdtd/engine/Mods
    Code:
    chown -r sdtd:sdtd /home/sdtd/engine/Mods
    As stated above, chown stands for change owner. sdtd has to own all the files under the folder for things to function properly. This is especially important if your restoring files from the backup.

NOTE: I personally have a symbolic link to a separate hard drive that I have mounted as /archive. I have symbolically linked /home/sdtd/backup --> /archive/backup/sdtd.
    Thanks, that helped immensely.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Huh? Is this server under heavy load? We ran on a linux server now up to day 90 with 3-4 players, and the server was only restarted when we added mods or changed the config. Last interval it was running for several weeks 24/7 without any restart. We haven't had any problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Liesel Weppen View Post
    Huh? Is this server under heavy load? We ran on a linux server now up to day 90 with 3-4 players, and the server was only restarted when we added mods or changed the config. Last interval it was running for several weeks 24/7 without any restart. We haven't had any problems yet.
    Yeah, I have two popular servers under good load and run three testing instances. If I let it go 24 hours, things start getting wonky. I am exceeding the supported player count.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Is this a change from A17?

Seems like A18 brought some good improvements.

Is this a change from A17?

Seems like A18 brought some good improvements.
    Yes, with a17, I was running 24 hours between restarts. In a16 I could go a week. In a18 we were seeing issues caused by memory leaks if we left it up longer than 12. It still sometimes crashes after about 8 hours of running anyway.

Thanks SylenThunder,

I think I'll keep rolling with the restart every 8 hours myself as I am seeing the server abend (abnormally end coined during the old days of Novell server administration) a few times a week between 5 to 8 hours as well. On a side note, I was running my restarts with a restart.exp (restart notifications through telnet) beforehand and ended up having to break out the actual restart from the restart.exp cron job. The reason I did this is that if the server abended the restart.exp cron job would fail due to no telnet session being available, then the entire cronjob would stop. Now if the server experienced an abend it will shut down no matter if the telnet session is available to warn people or not. And for good measure (though it may be overkill), I have also added in an hourly start in case the server has abended.

Code:

20 6,14,22 * * * su sdtd -c "/home/sdtd/instances/naboo/restart.exp" >/dev/null
    30 6,14,22 * * * /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh kill naboo && sleep 60 && /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh start naboo >/dev/null
    40 * * * * /usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh start naboo >/dev/null
    Last edited by morggin; 12-26-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Hi!

Any idea about what I'm doing wrong? Mint Linux, all requirements should be met (I've double checked today)

Code:
    Downloading and installing management scripts

2020-01-04 16:36:50 URL:http://illy.bz/fi/7dtd/management_scripts.tar.gz [35755/35755] -> "/tmp/management_scripts.tar.gz" [1]

Compiling start-stop-daemon
    start-stop-daemon.c:59:10: fatal error: sys/syscall.h: No such file or directory
     #include <sys/syscall.h>
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    compilation terminated.
    chown: cannot access 'start-stop-daemon': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access 'start-stop-daemon': No such file or directory
    I've tried to see if I could start it anyway but I get this:

Code:
    [email protected]:/etc/init.d$ sudo 7dtd.sh start Test_001
    /usr/local/lib/7dtd/common.sh: line 78: /usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon/start-stop-daemon: No such file or directory
    /usr/local/lib/7dtd/common.sh: line 78: /usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon/start-stop-daemon: No such file or directory
    Failed!
    An these are the contents of the directory:

Code:
    [email protected]:/usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon$ ls
    makefile  start-stop-daemon.c
    Thanks!

Looks like you're missing the package libc6-dev on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    Looks like you're missing the package libc6-dev on your system.
    Does it need to be in a specific directory? I'm sure I have it, maybe it has to be moved?

Thanks!

Should automatically be found in the default installation directory. If not it's most likely just not installed

My brain switched lib32gcc1 and libc6-dev, for whatever reason... thanks a lot for taking the time to answer, it all works as intended!

Using the method post by Zigstrum here I was able to create a script to turn off rain using the weather command if anyone else is intrested.

I called it rain.exp
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/expect -f
    set force_conservative 0  ;# set to 1 to force conservative mode even if
                              ;# script wasn't run conservatively originally
    if {$force_conservative} {
        set send_slow {1 .1}
        proc send {ignore arg} {
            sleep .1
            exp_send -s -- $arg
        }
    }