Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Release v.16, fixed the playernames with blanks issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ryvix View Post
    Perhaps it could just give notifications that there is an update of some sort. If it could give a notification or an email saying there is an update ready
    That would be easy to add and I think it would basically be a good thing. Drawback: I have to rely on yet another tool like sendemail in order to do so

Could those of you who already run the Linux engine report in on how it performs? And if you ran it through Wine on the same environment with the same usage (players) before a "comparison" of how both perfom would be especially nice.
    "Performs" as in: CPU usage, memory usage, "felt" performance on client side (lagging zombies etc).
    Also please give a few facts about the player count and HW (CPU, RAM).

Would really appreciate it and probably there are others who would too

Regards,
    Chris

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    Could those of you who already run the Linux engine report in on how it performs? And if you ran it through Wine on the same environment with the same usage (players) before a "comparison" of how both perfom would be especially nice.
    "Performs" as in: CPU usage, memory usage, "felt" performance on client side (lagging zombies etc).

Regards,
    Chris
    Might be good to list how many CPU Cores you have dedicated to that Virtualization if possible, I'm trying to figure out the full specs for a 20 slot server running that headless linux server. I don't think our current 2 Cores, is going to do it most likely need to add more to the VPS. Anyone know minimum specs for a 20 slot?

Refugee
    I'm also guessing you need to do daily reboots right?

Hunter
    4 cores with 2.67GHz and 4 GB RAM running under wine 32 can take up to 6 players without any lags (cpu load about 2).
    More people haven't joined the server yet or leave it instantly (it is a realistic one).

If you are running with wine-64 you need less CPU and less RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llGhost View Post
    4 cores with 2.67GHz and 4 GB RAM running under wine 32 can take up to 6 players without any lags (cpu load about 2).
    More people haven't joined the server yet or leave it instantly (it is a realistic one).

If you are running with wine-64 you need less CPU and less RAM.
    Thanks =)
    But you haven't tried the native engine to compare with?

Hunter
    Thanks =)
    But you haven't tried the native engine to compare with?
    No only tried some settings, but not with "real" players.

No one else? Thought there were more people running their servers on Linux ...

Refugee
    No one else? Thought there were more people running their servers on Linux ...
    I would think there is room for improvement in the future since this is just alpha. I have never used it on wine, at least I don't think, just what this script does now.

All I can compare it to is a Minecraft server and it's probably at least 5-10 times more CPU intensive than Minecraft at this point.

Not sure about the RAM usage but I have 32 gigs of RAM and it only takes up about 1.3 gigs so I'm not really worried about that.

I set max players to 10. I've had about 5 on at a time at the very most and haven't noticed any lag or anything but it was using a lot of CPU. Though I'm not sure if I would really be able to tell the difference between lag and a buggy game at this point.

The server is running Ubuntu 14.04 and has 32 gigs of RAM, SSD drives and Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 4 core/8 thread processor.

Thanks ryvix, sounds quite ok.

@All:
    Just noticed that the update detection does indeed NOT work. Looks like SteamCMD has some private cache of the AppDB so the shown buildid will always be the one when you last downloaded/updated 7dtd
    Have not found a way to get the current remote buildid yet (and can't even go on testing that now as I updated for testing purposes and now I obviously got the current buildid again ... ).
    Will do more tests on the next release.

For those who are already running the latest scripts and want to update 7dtd: Use the --force parameter to update even though the script says there's no update

Regards,
    Chris

Fixed a bug in updatescripts: It did delete the compiled start-stop-daemon but not recompile it. So after updating to v18 you will have to recompile it once manually:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon
    make
    make install
    If you don't have make installed:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/lib/7dtd/start-stop-daemon
    gcc -Wall -Wextra -Wno-return-type -o start-stop-daemon start-stop-daemon.c
    chown root.root start-stop-daemon
    chmod 0755 start-stop-daemon
    Afterwards that should no longer be necessary when updating the scripts. Sorry about that

Regards,
    Chris

@All:
    Just noticed that the update detection does indeed NOT work. Looks like SteamCMD has some private cache of the AppDB so the shown buildid will always be the one when you last downloaded/updated 7dtd
    Ok, v.19 fixes the buildid checking in the updateengine command. I do not rely on SteamCMD for that anymore, seems to be to unstable. Using SteamDB.info now

Regards,
    Chris

Refugee
    hey, i have a problem with updating 7dtd to 8.6.

i run the updatescript for the engine and the steamcmd part is working fine, it downloads 7dtd and says fully installed.

Still, the server wont let me log in, saying version mismatch (me 8.6 , server 8.5)

Would appreciate any help, thx

Hunter
    Which Version of scripts are you running? You should use v19.

Refugee
    yep, v.19 is my version of the scripts