Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back the Plains

Quote Originally Posted by Vomkat View Post
    I don't think they are 'gone'. If they were removed for optimization, then they will probably be back in the next update. This version obviously had significant graphics overhaul, and they probably didn't complete whatever they were doing with the removed biomes. People need to remember this is still an alpha, not even a beta version of the finished game.
    the terrain blocks and textures are not in 17. just like the icons for maple and birch trees are not in 17.

Scavenger
    I think I would prefer a swamp biome at this point. Some muck covered and hillbilly zombies lurking in waist-high water would be neat encounters. Maybe harvest methane gas from the biome as a material to some explosive crafted items. Make mushrooms spawn in higher probabilities here. Throw in some gators/zombie gators that drag your ass underwater.

I remember the first time I stepped out of the forest and looked out over a large Plains biome. It made the game seem so much "bigger" after scrambling through wasteland and forest.
    Looking around, I spotted a deer, a few bunnies, a few mineral deposits and my first thought was.. "Oh Yeah! Home base".

Even in Video games, Humans tend to be very "Territorial" by nature; liking to set up a place to return to as a home. Once the Dev's realize that giving the players more options to fill this need, the game will start regaining it's popularity.

In regards to zombie apocalypse survival if it happened in reality:

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    I'd go to the mountains or plains where you can see everything coming for a mile.
    So is this why they were removed?

Pretty sure someone said they would bring em back in time, just needed to simplify for now cause the game has gone through a lot of changes to get 17 out.

And yes, plains was the best to live in- cause you could actually see the world without overheating (desert) constantly. The only major issue I took with it- is the plains seemed to be 70% of the world in most worlds I genned.

very much miss plains. and clay soil.

I made this as proof of concept, It's playable but I was limited in what I could do with XML so it doesn't look that good. I replaced the burnt forest biome with this. The distant terrain is horrible looking. I wish the pimps would bring it back because I know they'd make it look super amazing.

https://ibb.co/album/h5RHBF - Original Resolution

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Last edited by Odetta; 04-07-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zombo View Post
    Pretty sure someone said they would bring em back in time, just needed to simplify for now cause the game has gone through a lot of changes to get 17 out.

And yes, plains was the best to live in- cause you could actually see the world without overheating (desert) constantly. The only major issue I took with it- is the plains seemed to be 70% of the world in most worlds I genned.

The is the ONE important detail in madmoles post: the terrain shader can only handle a certain number of textures. Thus, there can only be a certain number of biomes at the same time (at a certain quality level).

We have 5 main biomes currently.
    I think that the wasteland and burning forest biomes should be replaced by other, more interesting biomes.

Whats not possible is to simply add more biomes, because people want more biomes. Some need to be replaced.

I was just correcting the misinformation provided by zombo. Literally fake news.

EDIT: To hell with biome texture meshing, we need 10+ biomes. I don't care how bad it looks.

Yeah, if it can only handle so many, they should work on that.

And Odetta, that actually looks pretty good.

If you mean the OLD plains, sure.

If you mean that ugly, scrubby one we had in A16 with all the little cactuses and vultures everywhere, forget it, good riddance.

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I made this as proof of concept, It's playable but I was limited in what I could do with XML so it doesn't look that good. I replaced the burnt forest biome with this. The distant terrain is horrible looking. I wish the pimps would bring it back because I know they'd make it look super amazing.

https://ibb.co/album/h5RHBF - Original Resolution

[IMG] [/IMG]

the distant-terrains looks bad just because you use textures from "Dirt", if you put textures from the plains there everything looked as usual. Well, some more color adjustments. When i did this, i didn't notice any problems with shaders that couldn't be solved. Do not believe them - noodles on ears hang up (i hate it....).
    lying won't do any good.

my assets now contain about 40 different textures for terrans, the difficulties are simply due to adjus the color and intensity settings of normal maps.
    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...l=1#post958645

Quote Originally Posted by Feycat View Post
    If you mean the OLD plains, sure.

If you mean that ugly, scrubby one we had in A16 with all the little cactuses and vultures everywhere, forget it, good riddance.
    of course... very strange was to see that they have made with plains in A16. There was an opinion that they made it purposely what to show what sh*t they can make.
    Last edited by n2n1; 04-07-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    Spoiler: 

the distant-terrains looks bad just because you use textures from "Dirt", if you put textures from the plains there everything looked as usual. Well, some more color adjustments. When i did this, i didn't notice any problems with shaders that couldn't be solved. Do not believe them - noodles on ears hang up (i hate it....).
    lying won't do any good.

my assets now contain about 40 different textures for terrans, the difficulties are simply due to adjus the color and intensity settings of normal maps.
    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...l=1#post958645
    But there is no "plains texture" in the XML. Unless it got changed to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    But there is no "plains texture" in the XML. Unless it got changed to something else.
    Yes - they are absent. But some textures (which you do not use, clay as example) can be replaced by old texture from the plains with the help of UABE. This is simple way. Just load your own texture into an existing resource.
    Last edited by n2n1; 04-07-2019 at 06:55 PM.