Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Need help to get higher broader mountains and more rivers

  1. #16
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post
    That sounds great.


    I had never even imagined such a system in this game, going to be interesting to check it out.


    I feel like this is the only way to really put any kind of overall realism to a map this size. Like with everything else in the game, I feel that quality or quantity is the goal. Im going to lay these in something of a square with roughly 4-square quadrant of road system to more or less give each quadrant of the map a county sized roadway system.


    Because Im taking terrain and the really awesome prefab sites (of which there are literally dozens on this map) into consideration when picking the roadway paths, what we will end up with will not be cookie cutter looking grids, but a working road system 25-30 ft off the ground. I had to spend some time modifying guppy's roadway set, but i should be done with that maybe even today and I can start plotting roadways. The reason for the edits was to make laying 40 miles of varied highway take 5 minutes instead of hours to set up. On a map this size you will only ever portions of the system and will really help give the areas inside each quadrant of the map a realistic feeling. Once this part is done, choosing the best sites for everything becomes a no brainer.

  2. #17
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    0
    cool, I have no idea how that will be to play with, but it sounds interesting. I think we like the kind of wildland feeling in the game, so as long as it don't intrude too much, I think the guys will like it.

    About server and 16k maps, we use BlueFangSolutions, and they have a special server for map size up to 16k. We will not play on maps smaller than that.


    7_Days_to_Die_Map_Sizes_-_BlueFangSolutions.com_-_2019-04-21_11.13.44.jpg
    Last edited by xxx73; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:15 AM.

  3. #18
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    0
    This is how my wasteland look now. The green is radiated zones. I just replaced one sub biome top layer with a new block.

    20190421164032_1.jpg
    Last edited by xxx73; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:03 PM.

  4. #19
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post
    cool, I have no idea how that will be to play with, but it sounds interesting. I think we like the kind of wildland feeling in the game, so as long as it don't intrude too much, I think the guys will like it.

    About server and 16k maps, we use BlueFangSolutions, and they have a special server for map size up to 16k. We will not play on maps smaller than that.


    7_Days_to_Die_Map_Sizes_-_BlueFangSolutions.com_-_2019-04-21_11.13.44.jpg
    I definitely understand, I like the feeling of the wild in the map myself, and Im taking this into consideration for the map. This will sound strange, but the roadway actually does more to heighten the sense of remoteness and isolation than to make things more city-like . Think of the road through Mirkwood Forest or the roadways that run through the northern Midwest US and Canada. Finding the highways is a double edge sword. Yes, it will allow you to travel faster, but it first has to be cleared. Also the space between turn-arounds and off-ramps will increase as you move away from the populated areas, making those places harder to reach.


    The map is so big that other than around interchanges, you never see more than a single highway, and its quite far between highways, like a real life map. I can also add or remove segments very easily without affecting the rest of the road system or leaving us with roads that dont connect to anything or go off map.

    Ive spent a few extra days on the set making some modifications to the different prefabs in the set. My purpose was to make pieces i could string together more evenly and at different heights, allowing for sections traveling underground, over rivers and through mountains. The highway system I started with was already very good, Ive just updated the road surface and interchanges for better travel and realism.

    As far as the map size goes from my perspective, Im excited for the challenge of a good map of this size and scale. My concerns are entirely technical. It would be a shame for you to spend this amount of time only to have a wonderful finished adventure that wont load up. For me, I will publish the map as a single player later on regardless, so Im happy to keep working at this pace.

  5. #20
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    0
    Sounds great, keep up the great work

  6. #21
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    xxx73

    Test done and Ive got your border radiation zone marked off with gravel. I can also it in wasteland now, but it might not be as noticeable. I thought about signs or a fence, but the sign heights would be static unless I fixed by hand, which eh. Im going to try and non solid pattern with the border gravel and see how it looks and if its noticeable to players.

  7. #22
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    @xxx73

    Good water and mountains wont be an issue anymore. At all. lol. Nitro's new map creation tool is incredible. Ive already got a new map for you and its faaaar beyond anything else in A17, best remote sites I have ever seen and thats just the first map i made. Its really incredible. I keep you posted.



    https://imgur.com/UX8D4Ms

    https://imgur.com/k6HtKIj

    https://imgur.com/VSKuCkB


    Edit. I cannot understate how good these maps are. The RWG is much improved, specially roads and the amount of options to generate. Rivers are basic, but the option for small lakes and the larger sized lakes generated really make up for it. You will 100% get your remote adventure 16k map. Im still planning on a good section of highway, but its going to play a smaller role in a map like this. The rwg generated roads up into portions of the mountains are better than anything I could draw without taking 2 weeks to do. I will keep the road parts I want and redo the rest. Very big step forward in maps.
    Last edited by Cpt Krunch; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:09 AM.

  8. #23
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Krunch View Post
    @xxx73

    Good water and mountains wont be an issue anymore. At all. lol. Nitro's new map creation tool is incredible. Ive already got a new map for you and its faaaar beyond anything else in A17, best remote sites I have ever seen and thats just the first map i made. Its really incredible. I keep you posted.



    https://imgur.com/UX8D4Ms

    https://imgur.com/k6HtKIj

    https://imgur.com/VSKuCkB


    Edit. I cannot understate how good these maps are. The RWG is much improved, specially roads and the amount of options to generate. Rivers are basic, but the option for small lakes and the larger sized lakes generated really make up for it. You will 100% get your remote adventure 16k map. Im still planning on a good section of highway, but its going to play a smaller role in a map like this. The rwg generated roads up into portions of the mountains are better than anything I could draw without taking 2 weeks to do. I will keep the road parts I want and redo the rest. Very big step forward in maps.
    Yeah I tested his tool, really cool, but I have big problems with biomes, only getting grassland and snow, no burnt forest, and very small dessert, and no wasteland except borders, one maps with normal biomes or mountains and rough terrain.

  9. #24
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post
    Yeah I tested his tool, really cool, but I have big problems with biomes, only getting grassland and snow, no burnt forest, and very small dessert, and no wasteland except borders, one maps with normal biomes or mountains and rough terrain.
    Should not be a problem, Ive already edited the boimes completely on 2 of the Nitro maps without issues. I also really like the changes to road creation. Im hand building a 4k adventurers map with some more detailed biome painting and all custom prefab and road placement for another request. These guys like remote areas as well, so this is my attempt at a pocket sized non standard no modern city remote adventure style map. I will be sharing the map for download probably within a few days if i dont get sidetracked with real life stuff.

    A few questions for you? Outside of a custom zone, what would you prefer for border biome? We can fool with adding other biomes at another time, but its not something we should wait around for unless you are actively working on implementing it for this server build.

    Also, please give me in % you preferences on biome placement from highest to lowest. This new map generator with the way I do my own maps, we can really be a little more picky than before. Those % will also let me know if Im working too hard to create something that just isnt there for a certain map and maybe i should recreate. Im getting better at transitioning from one biome to the other with just the right balance entering for either one to the other.

  10. #25
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Krunch View Post
    A few questions for you? Outside of a custom zone, what would you prefer for border biome? We can fool with adding other biomes at another time, but its not something we should wait around for unless you are actively working on implementing it for this server build.
    I prefer borders as they was in earlier alphas, looking like wastland, but I guess water can also work as border, giving an island feel. The most important is that players get a chance to understand that the borders is getting close

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Krunch View Post
    Also, please give me in % you preferences on biome placement from highest to lowest. This new map generator with the way I do my own maps, we can really be a little more picky than before. Those % will also let me know if Im working too hard to create something that just isnt there for a certain map and maybe i should recreate. Im getting better at transitioning from one biome to the other with just the right balance entering for either one to the other.
    I have not thought much about this, I just like there to be many different biomes in mixed sizes mixed together. Overall I guess something like this would be ok:
    Forest 30%
    Snow 15%
    Dessert 15%
    Water 5% (Mostly rivers and smaller lakes)
    Wasteland 15%
    Burn-forest 15%

    On a 16k map, biomes could be anything from 500m to 3km. Also separating biomes with tall mountains and rivers is nice.

  11. #26
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post
    I prefer borders as they was in earlier alphas, looking like wastland, but I guess water can also work as border, giving an island feel. The most important is that players get a chance to understand that the borders is getting close
    Hadnt thought about adding water, though I have gone on a few unsuccessful hunts to get my hands on some of the experimental island maps from a few months ago, im really regretting not making 20 of those to use now lol. I could do water, but it will be prefabbed in and probably wont give an island effect. Water will continue to be underutilized till they fix it, hopefully next version. Mos of these new maps, like my others, i cannot seem to get water too deep, which honestly poses no problem for me, as i can and go generate an occasional 10+ deep lake if it serves some purpose on the map, but IMO they are never 100% as good as the natural ones.

    Im doing this smaller map as a test run up to your map and so far the wasteland border does the job, though i made sure no other wastelend is touching the border anywhere, that would be the only tricky place to detect it for a players, as im hand making them, i will try my best to make the line clear in those spots. If we had custom biomes to spare i would use one for that purpose, but i think they are too valuable atm for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post

    I have not thought much about this, I just like there to be many different biomes in mixed sizes mixed together. Overall I guess something like this would be ok:
    Forest 30%
    Snow 15%
    Dessert 15%
    Water 5% (Mostly rivers and smaller lakes)
    Wasteland 15%
    Burn-forest 15%
    This is roughly the ratio i shoot for, and on a 16k map, it will be easy. Water we are at mercy of map, but that % is not hard to achieve naturally. Lakes more than river, but some rivers as well. Snow, forest and desert are my anchors. Wasteland i give 10-15%, then spread some out in spots tied to POIs. Burnt forrest i use more for a transitions and borders, maybe one large burned out forrest, which for 16k will be substantial.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxx73 View Post


    On a 16k map, biomes could be anything from 500m to 3km. Also separating biomes with tall mountains and rivers is nice.
    Theres nothing worse than a really noticeable biome change right in the middle of a nice area. I always split up biomes based on the natural features. Certain biomes also blend nicely where others look stupid, so i only blend transitions where it makes things look better or more real.

    I also got permission to pack my maps with the hdhq pack included, so im really going to tweak the tree numbers and things included in prefab spawn for trees etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •