Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: [Tool] NITROGEN , a random world generator for 7DtD

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Damocles, can you give me a breakdown of how water.xml works? I just can't seem to "get it", and I figure that since you coded something
    to write them, you understand it.

This is for an 8k map:

<Water pos="-4064,33,-4064" minx="-4096" maxx="4096" minz="-4096" maxz="4096"/>

...so I figure the -4064,33,-4064 is the lower left corner of the map (well, padded in a small 32 border) and the water level is going to be 33 high for 4096 blocks to the east and 4096 blocks to the west.

Applying THAT logic, I can't get custom areas to work.

What are the tricks/limitations/etc? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by -Holo- View Post
    A quick question, I'm considering trying this tool to generate a 8 or 9K map for Darkness Falls, but I am wondering if there can be set to always spawn at least a certain or higher amount of a POI, or force it to spawn atleast one of each on the map?
    You can increase the number of POIs of a specific type to spawn by doublicating the entry prefabslist.txt (that was expanded by the Darkness Falls POIs)

such like doublicating an entry:

barn_01,INDUSTRIAL,2,-1,21,11,22,farm
    barn_01,INDUSTRIAL,2,-1,21,11,22,farm

will make barn_01 twice as likely to spawn. Its considered a "new" POI type then.

With a big enough map / enough cities (having more POIs overall generated than POI templates) its very unlikely that a POI is not spawned.

When spawning, the generator checks if a POI was spawned before, it chooses one that was not used before (provided its the needed zone-type)
    So all POIs have a good chance to be used.

There is no flag to force spawning a POI though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Damocles, can you give me a breakdown of how water.xml works? I just can't seem to "get it", and I figure that since you coded something
    to write them, you understand it.

This is for an 8k map:

<Water pos="-4064,33,-4064" minx="-4096" maxx="4096" minz="-4096" maxz="4096"/>

...so I figure the -4064,33,-4064 is the lower left corner of the map (well, padded in a small 32 border) and the water level is going to be 33 high for 4096 blocks to the east and 4096 blocks to the west.

Applying THAT logic, I can't get custom areas to work.

What are the tricks/limitations/etc? Thanks!
    the water position will go from -1/2 the map-size to +1/2 the map size

so on a 4096*4096 map, a position of 0,0 will be right in the center, and -2047,2047 on the bottom left corner
    (south-west)

The z-hight is just the blockhight above zero (lowest bedrock) level.

The generator will spawn waternodes in an even grid, with nodes 64 spawned tiles apart, to try an fill in all sub-waterlevel areas.
    The game will then "floodfill" starting from the nodes center until it reaches terrain above the z-hight or the maxx etc position (kept really big here for simplicity), and create the local water--voxels.

This works most of the time, but could "miss" to place a node in narrow canyons and channels (when narrower than 64 meters). I could increase the density of the nodes, but that might cause performance issues during the games initial map creation at one point.

You could delete all the water-spawners after the "<!-- spawners for large lakes -->" comment in the xml,
    and then handplace the water spawners (one for each large lake or river to fill up). The positions can be determined by the pixel position (for x and y you have to shift the pixelpoisiton by half the maps size)

The bug with the empty-gap inside of bodies of water is probably some bug in the games floodfill algorithm, and seem to appear near shallow costlines.

Othe bugs can happen when there are road-splatmap pixels inside water. It will then keep the road free of water (probably a fix for some issue in the RWG or limit with the terrain-shaders)
    Last edited by Damocles; 08-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Scavenger
    Would it be possible to have a flat map generated with the top, bottom and sides be mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by RoPa View Post
    Would it be possible to have a flat map generated with the top, bottom and sides be mountains?
    You have to make you own hightmap when you need a specific layout.
    Its not hard to make, just drawing a grayscale png image that gets imported. (there is a reference image in the resources)

You could also generate a mountainous map, generate it, and then open the hightmap image in a graphics program, and flatten the middle, and import it again. (This will give you more detail than a painted map).
    Last edited by Damocles; 08-09-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Scavenger
    Ok, thanks for the info.

Hi, Damocles!

Is there any way I can make snow spawn while having the landscape option set to "random (no mountains)"? I've already tried adjusting the height at which snow spawns, but there's still no snow biomes generating.

Question for Server owners. since serverconfig.xml has RWG and a seed name.
    do I just replace what was generated with the files from Nitrogen? and if so, how will that work if I delete a region file - the game usually regens.

the simple question is how do I use this with a server

Easiest way is to create a Navezgane world, don't join the server, stop the server, overwrite the world files with the ones from nitrogen in the saves directory, then restart server.

If you're going to overwrite Navezgane anyway, why not just do that before even starting it for the first time?
    Either way, there's a bunch of posts in this thread regarding everything you need to know to use worlds on a dedi, including a section close to the end of the OP.

Tracker
    Indeed pretty awesome generator. Thanks!

Still “fighting” a bit with the settings but the worlds definitely feel more random.

Two questions and one comment:

* I noticed that bedrock is somewhere around +2 or +4? Is that configurable?

* Is it possible to save custom settings as new defaults? (e.g. turn off cracks automatically)

Comment:

* I feel that roads could connect better. Currently they sometimes feel like spaghetti and detours on a bike cost stamina...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Alloc View Post
    If you're going to overwrite Navezgane anyway, why not just do that before even starting it for the first time?
    Either way, there's a bunch of posts in this thread regarding everything you need to know to use worlds on a dedi, including a section close to the end of the OP.
    So as to overwrite just to save game, and not the original world.

This isn't the most efficient method either, but it would be the easiest in my opinion.

So as to overwrite just to save game, and not the original world.

This isn't the most efficient method either, but it would be the easiest in my opinion.
    If you create a savegame on Navezgane it will use the Navezgane folder in <game>/Data/Worlds/Navezgane. So if you go that route you have to overwrite the files in that folder. That means you overwrite Navezgane and that doesn't change if you do it prior to starting a Navezgane save or before

We may be saying the same thing, I dunno.

I'm advocating overwriting the world folder in /saves as opposed to data/worlds.

Creating the game first would mean the admin doesn't have to know how to set up the folders or put the required files in.

Overwriting data/worlds/navezgane affects any future nav games.

I'm not saying my method is the most efficient, I'm saying it'd be the easiest for a server admin who doesn't intimately know the file structure, especially on a rented server where they likely have more access to the save folder than the data/worlds folder.

I'm advocating overwriting the world folder in /saves as opposed to data/worlds.
    That's what I'm saying ... there won't be a "Navezgane" world folder in Saves as the Nav-world is only in game/Data/Worlds