Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: [Tool] NITROGEN , a random world generator for 7DtD

So to clarify, to play a 16k map generated by Nitrogen, I copy the radiation.png and main.ttw from any 16k map I've generated with the games default RWG?

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstep70 View Post
    Me either, I'm a Paint dot net guy, but its been lacking some features of late so Krita (which I hate) and Photoshop it is.

I've been messing with NitroGen a lot, the config file especially, and the height-maps and turbulence file, plus I've altered the shape of the snow, forest, desert and crater splats but I too am at a loss for a few things.

Namely the mask file (what purpose does it serve, 'cause I've been generating fairly decent worlds without altering the mask).
    And roads in city hubs are a freaking mess all the time, a patchwork of asphalt, broken asphalt with gravel and pathways littered throughout. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It's like the city planners said "Just throw down some roads, the buildings come later". Technically he was right, but jeez-Louise. Roads to and from Poi's and hubs are fine, it's just inside the larger clusters of buildings that the roads go haywire.
    I have tried to manually edit the roads (splat3.png) file, it was long and tedious and in the end I must have done something wrong, what I don't know, but I got a tonne of console warnings (yellow) about color info being wrong on the file dtm.raw. I surmised (with Photoshop) that the merging of channels (RGBA) didn't go so well but am stumped as to what actually went wrong. Plus I'm a total noob to Photoshop, who calls "Flip Horizontal" mirror? Flipping is flipping, mirroring is totally different, oh well, whatever Adobe, thanks for the learning curve.

I am loving the program though, it's a god-send for those of us with krapper-potato PC's. I'll be paying lots of attention to any posts in this section and will collaborate my findings and conclusions if I think they are pertinent or haven't been covered already.

My next goal is to grab satellite imagery of my area (Niagara Falls baby) and work with that height-map. Should be cool to see the falls, even if they don't have water spilling over the precipice.
    I like Krita, but I only use it on Linux. If I'm using Windows, which I still do have around and use occasionally, I use Photoshop.

Refugee
    Hi, long time lurker here. This is such an amazing tool, I've been messing with the resource image files for the last few days trying to get more natural looking height maps. I used the software Wilbur, to help me generate the textures. I also redrew then scrambled up the biome borders with Gimp's pick filter so there isn't such a harsh line between biomes. I'm quite satisfied with the results.
    Here's what a typical 4k height map looks like with them.

Some pictures. This is all default smoothing by the way.

Here's a zip with the files if anyone would like them (always be sure to backup the original files).

Also as far as I'm aware the textures TEST_512_ABS_Mountain255 and TEST_256_ABS_DESERTPlateau_top don't seem to ever be used (maybe Damocles can clarify). But I still made replacements for them in case.

Ranger
    First, great job with the tool! Found it yesterday.

A couple thoughts, I'll have more later once I understand the height map stuff and how 7DTD uses it a bit more.

1) Any thoughts about open sourcing this? I would want to port it to C# or C++ as they handle memory better than java. I could decompile the jar, but I don't want to look at or copy your work without permission.

2) Make the biomes a check box list with a way to select none/few/normal/many of each.

3) Add a way to import a biome map and have the tool generate a heightmap independent of that, or import separate biome and height maps.

4) Not every mountain is a true mountain in real life. Denver, for example, is called 'the mile high city' because it's a mile from sea level.

5) Speaking of sea level, add an option to generate oceans, either just on the outer border of the map, or within the map itself.

6) Someone should speak to TFP about adding a color dedicated to caves. An alpha value could determine the height. This makes it possible to use A* or another algorithm to generate caves. It also makes it possible to place a spawner in the cave, for example, a cave full of zombies, bear caves, etc.

7) Man made bridges may be possible. I've always wondered if a prefabbed bridge segment could be made, and if it would float above the terrain if it had support. I know you can fake a bridge using blocks as well. However I don't know if there is an easy way to do this. If prefabs can float, in theory you could chain prefabs together to make a bridge. Then you can have real bridges going over other roads, rivers, etc.

I'm going to try to learn a bit more about RWG once alpha 18 comes out. This one has me brainstorming about road algorithms, bridges, caves, etc.