Thread: Augur & Chainsaw Eat Too Much Gas to be Practical

Augur & Chainsaw Eat Too Much Gas to be Practical

Compared with an upgraded steel pick/axe, the augur/chainsaw really don't confer that much of a benefit vs. the amount of gas they consume. I get the speed perk, which means you save about 1/3-1/2 the time vs. manual work but it's just not worth it with the rate of gas consumption. For example, I was picking away at some bulletproof glass just now... With my steel pick, it takes me a bit more time per-block but the augur would also cost me 150 gas per-block. That's a bit unrealistic, no? Where's the incentive to use these advanced tools? Also, compared to gas consumption of vehicles, the augur and chainsaw are crazy-inefficient which is unfortunate because to me they're basically end-game tools that I should be using all the time.

Refugee
    At the end-game you should have so much gas that you shouldn't be worrying about it, so i guess you are not at the end-game.

I have 5,500 shale and 48 gas barrels, day 90, level 131... While I could plow through my gas using these tools, it doesn't make economical sense. Just because I have enough gas doesn't mean I should overlook the gross lack of consumption balance between these tools and vehicles. If I was a billionaire, I could hire a private driver to take me everywhere I wanted to go as well but that doesn't mean it makes economical sense. I'm talking realism here. And yes, I get that this is a zombie game but I do appreciate a bit of realism in the actual survival mechanics.

Refugee
    But this game wasn't meant to be realistic, balance in game doesn't always mean realism, actually it means that very rarely. If you want more realistic game you should make a mod for it, it's pretty easy

If playing on 50% block durability the auger is crazy good. I usually play this way, cause mining is just a slog otherwise, and I like my bases being more vulnerable to zombie attacks.

On 100%, yeah the auger should be a little better.

Of course, explosives SHOULD be the king of mining, sadly they are nearly worthless for it.

Chainsaw is pretty OP, IMO. The auger on the other hand isn't worth it to me for mining. I much rather do it with a pickaxe. I find it to be more useful for demolition when changing a large part of your base.

Inventor
    Seems to me that the Pickaxe/axe is for when you want precision or max harvest. Chainsaw/Auger is for when you want speed. At that point, it becomes a matter of Fuel consumption vs time.