Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 0XP RolMod

0XP RolMod

Current Features (100% compatible with gfx pp enable 0)

1) Simplified Starter Quest

The Starter quest is shorter. You gain 1 skill point for each part of the quest and so will have six skillpoints to spend by time you find and talk to the trader. Here is the new quest chain

1) Craft and Place Bedroll
    2) Craft Stone Axe
    3) Craft Club
    4) Craft Bow and Arrows
    5) Craft Wood Frames (No placing or upgrading)
    6) Visit Trader

2) Zero Experience For Actions

Actions in the game are now only valuable for helping you survive and accomplish your goals. There are no xp incentives to tempt you to do one thing or another for the purpose of farming points to level up. Do what you want because of your objectives and play organically.

3) Daily Skillpoint For Surviving

Gain skillpoints simply for surviving. After one day of survival you will earn 1 skillpoint. After 2 days of survival you will earn 2 skillpoints. After 3 days of survival and every day after that you will earn 3 skillpoints. If you die your penalty will be having to start over with earning 1 then 2 and then 3 skillpoints AND the timer begins fresh from when you respawn so it will take 3 days of no deaths to regain the highest level of skillpoint generation.

Costs of attribute and perk progression have been increased to compensate for the increase in skillpoint gains.

Attribute costs for levels 2-10 are: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Perk costs for levels 1-5 are: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5

4) Training In Return For Jobs

Completing jobs for the trader will result in him training you in those areas of your choice. Challenge, Tier 1, and Tier 2 quests will be rewarded with 1 skillpoint. Tier 3 and Tier 4 quests will be rewarded 2 skillpoints. Tier 5 quests will be rewarded with 3 skillpoints.

5) Gamestages Based on Time Instead of Actions

Gamestages will now progress daily instead of as a result of player actions gaining xp. Each game day that the player does not suffer a death they will automatically level up which will in turn advance the gamestage. The gamestages multipliers have been modified to help compensate for this slower pace of gamestage advancement as follows:

Scavenger: 1.5
    Adventurer: 1.8
    Nomad: 2.2
    Warrior: 2.5
    Survivalist: 3.0
    Insane: 3.5

These are higher rates than vanilla but leveling up now happens once a day at a regular pace which is slower than most players of the vanilla game. Please note that the ONLY function leveling up has is to advance gamestages. Gaining skillpoints for player progression advancement is completely separate from player level now and there are no experience points in the game at all.

6) Level Gates Removed from Crafting Perks

You still must meet attribute requirements but will enjoy more freedom in how you spend your points.

7) Improved Death Ambiguity

Because there is no xp there is no xp popout which means no giveaway clue that a zombie died with that last hit. But I took it several steps further by removing death animations from all zombies, replacing the death sound from all zombies with their stun sound, and increasing the range of time they will utilize to recover from a stun. So now when they die it looks and sounds exactly like it does when they are stunned. The only remaining clue is that big yellow bag that sometimes appears....

8) Increased Zombie Loot Drops

Since there is no longer xp for killing zombies I increased the loot drop across the board to 9%. This may be adjusted as I get feedback and continue to play with it myself.

9) Increased Zombie Biome Spawns

With jrbarrio's permission I have included his modlet JRB_MoreZombiesBiome_x4 to the mix for increased zombie activity. If you find that you want more zombie density or that there are now too many zombies for good performance please go visit barrio's modlets thread and you'll see that you can replace my selection with a x2, x8, or x16 version.

10) Nerdpoling Ability Removed

With sphereii's permission I have included his modlet AntiNerdPole to the mix which prevents the player from placing a block whenever their feet are not planted. This modlet is completely separate from the rest so if you don't want it as part of this pack simply remove the folder after you download the pack.

11) Trader Finder Quests

All of the treasure map quests will now chain into the White River Settlement Quest from the beginning of the game giving the player a chance to find a new trader. The quest finds the nearest trader to your location which might be a trader you already know but if you are lucky you may get a new trader's location after digging up that treasure chest. How exciting!!!

12) No Newbie Protection NEW!

You are subject to the full fury of the elements from the very start of the game. Be prepared for your usual start of game routine to be seriously disrupted and for you to have to adapt. Did the Duke leave you for dead in the middle of the snow biome? He may very well succeed if you can't get out in time. Way way better than the bland vanilla start where no biome is a barrier and every game beginning is virtually the same. If you enjoy bland then you can easily remove this enhancement by going into the 0xp Progression modlet in your mods folder and removing the buffs.xml file.

Thanks and Credits

Thanks to Guppycur, Stompy, Sphereii, and all others who have helped me and continue to help me. Guppycur and Sphereii are responsible for the SDX script and dual timer that makes the daily skill point possible. Sphereii also came up with the script to make this mod truly zero xp. Several others gave me pointers and ran through xpath lines of code with me to help me see what I was missing. Obviously my improved Ambiguous Death mod was inspired by Guppy's own random zombie get back up mod. Special thanks goes to Royal Deluxe who provided me with a simple morning quest in the early development of this idea so I could try it out and see if it was worth pursuing. And Rewtgr....thanks for keeping me sane when nothing I tried would remove the damn level gates on the last night when I was trying to get this pushed out. Thanks to jrbarrio for allowing me to use his work for more outdoor zombies roaming the world. Thanks to sphereii for allowing me to use his work disabling nerdpoling.

If you feel I should have given you credit in any of this work please let me know. I don't mean to slight anyone and want to make sure to give full credit where it is due. Please feel free to use any part of this compilation for your own projects. I tried to keep things clear so parts could be easily separated out but feel free to ask me if you want to know where the stuff is that does the thing.
    Last edited by Roland; 1 Week Ago at 07:41 AM.

Instructions

Please note: You must select 0% in the options menu for the xp multiplier. If you have a saved game using the old version where you selected 2% you will unfortunately have to start a new game because for some reason the saved world remembers and you will start earning xp even though you select 0%. If you play at 100% you are showing a lack of understanding about the point of this mod....

So

Step 1: Use Sphereii's mod launcher to load my mod.

Step 2: Remember to select 0% in the main menu options before playing.

If you are interested in looking at the files or do not wish to use the mod launcher, they are here. You can download the mods folder and replace it with the one in your 7 days to die folder if you want the entire package. Otherwise you can pick and choose the files you wish to use. The skillpoint generator and the AntiNerdpole modlets are SDX and so must be compiled. If you don't know how to do this using the SDX launcher then it's best to simply use Sphereii's mod launcher which will do it for you automatically.

Please Note: If for any reason you are not sure how to do this because you are new to modding but wanted to try out my mod, please send me a pm and I will give step by step instructions to help you get my mod into your computer. People helped spoon feed me as I tried to wrap my brain around xpath and so now it's my turn to pay it forward. I've got a spoon and a big jar of Creamy Pears in my hands just for you.
    Last edited by Roland; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:43 AM.

Suggested Modlets

Invisible Hud

Sphereii has updated his ClearUI mod which removes all HUD elements from the screen. It is a fun cinematic experience that I have always enjoyed in the past. I had originally thought to make it be a default part of my pack but ultimately decided to hold off for two big reasons:

1) Hunger, Stamina, Health, and Hydration are more complex than they used to be. The interaction of these survival elements and how they fill and empty on the visual bars is more important to know on an ongoing realtime basis than they were in A16 and before. Never did I ever worry about these things previously but I found myself switching to my backpack periodically just to check to see what my max vs current levels were and whether I had a hydration warning (orange water drop icon). In addition, it appears that TFP removed the audio cues of hunger pains and sighs that let the player know that they needed to eat.

2) Quests are a big deal in my pack and quests rely heavily on compass icon information. It will be a lot tougher to find those parcels, dig up treasure, and find all the zombies to clear and you will have to check your map to reorient yourself towards the quest activator during your travels.

So those are the two biggest downsides that I noticed as I played and felt my own funfactor diminished a bit from how I remember playing in earlier versions of the game. I still like it but I think it probably has even less mass appeal than it did before. That being said there is something really cool about playing with only the environment in front of you so I recommend it as something to try. It is 100% compatible with my pack. You simply need to drop it into your mods folder alongside my other modlets and then use Sphereii's launcher to make sure it compiles as it is SDX based.
    Last edited by Roland; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:46 PM.

Congrats.

Is the "every 60 minute skill point" affected by 24 cycle setting? Like if you set it to 120min days?

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Yeh it'll be 60 mins regardless of day length.

Yeah boss! Nice work and welcome to the dark side!

Colony Founder
    I'm disappointed. Where are the ziplines?

Iím just a beginner. Maybe someday. Iíve decided this modding stuff is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I’m just a beginner. Maybe someday. I’ve decided this modding stuff is pretty fun.
    Oh it will creep up on you. Just when you thought you were out, it will pull you back IN! Welcome to the club, avoid the lemonade Gup is serving. No reason, just avoid it, trust me.

Good luck on this new venture. Looks real good too. I will give it a spin.

Thanks Jax.

(I already avoid his Snicker bars so no problem)
    Last edited by Roland; 04-07-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Refugee
    Holy cow! Walking into this modlet was a brain twist. I like it, totally changed my play style. The only thing more I'd want is more quests/npcs that can give quests. Haha maybe a quest to find/save npcs! This mod opens the game up not only from the sandbox, but for the inspired rpg modders.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphan View Post
    Holy cow! Walking into this modlet was a brain twist. I like it, totally changed my play style. The only thing more I'd want is more quests/npcs that can give quests. Haha maybe a quest to find/save npcs! This mod opens the game up not only from the sandbox, but for the inspired rpg modders.

I know for sure Prime has a few more quest types planned but I don't know if they will make it in for A18 or not. But agreed, a ton of quests with great variety will really help this particular mod.

I remember when I first started playing I kept forgetting that I didn't NEED to kill every zombie. Amazing how the last few alphas have conditioned us to not miss out on any and all possible kills...lol.

Thanks for trying it out!
    Last edited by Roland; 04-07-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Refugee
    Nice work! I've always wanted to make a daily skill point system but had no idea how to do it. A survival game should be about surviving I like every other features too, but the quests are a bit of a downside to me (at this state). With more variiety it could be awesome tho! Will definitely give it a try!

Colony Founder
    I’m just a beginner. Maybe someday. I’ve decided this modding stuff is pretty fun.
    I was just joking. Congratulations, every little mod counts!

Survivor
    Please Note: If for any reason you are not sure how to do this because you are new to modding but wanted to try out my mod, please send me a pm and I will give step by step instructions to help you get my mod into your computer. People helped spoon feed me as I tried to wrap my brain around xpath and so now it's my turn to pay it forward. I've got a spoon and a big jar of Creamy Pears in my hands just for you.
    LOL I prefer dutch apple please