Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 0XP RolMod

Survivor
    Okay, suggestion 1 ... just from a setup standpoint. Create a Mods master folder, and put your mods inside there.

Yes, I know, most people already have a Mods folder, and yadda yadda ... BUT if you're starting with a fresh install, like I am, to make sure there's nothing conflicting and you can review the Mod as it was intended, the folder isn't there. Of course, if you know enough to start a clean folder, you should know enough to create a Mods folder. But I'm lazy.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    2) No Nerdpoling

I've always wanted the game to prevent nerdpoling and it is clear to me that the devs have no real interest in doing this because the devs told me they have no real interest in doing this. So this will be an ongoing project of mine to figure out the best way to do this. I've gotten some suggestions and plan to test them out and if I find something I like I will make it a part of this mod

4) Increased Top Speed of Enemies

Zombie speed is just lame right now. I've been meaning to work on this but have not but will in the future. I think that the game used to be more thrilling when the zombies stayed right on your six when you ran away and you would have to use obstacles to lose them. Now you just run for 10 seconds and lose them easily.
    Okay ... I have a question about the Nerdpoling. I am 100% for removing the ability to nerdpole up to avoid obstacles or just be a jerk and break in the top floor instead of fighting your way up.

HOWEVER ... it is also used for legitimate things ... like building. I use it to put in temp supports while concrete dries, I use it to be able to map out the area I'm building, to reach the top of the wall, the ceiling, etc. So that'd need to be taken into consideration. Maybe put a limit on the height that you can stack unupgraded frames.

Now .. top speed of enemies ... zombies path better than they did, so you can't really use obstacles to lose them. And running for ten seconds is about all you can do ... stamina for running is a joke. So unless you're going to do something to stamina ...

And just my two cents ... if your goal is to survive and not die ... you SHOULD be able to outrun zombies. At least the regular ones, during the day. I mean, what's the point of creating a mod designed to make you need to survive to advance, and then make it impossible to survive? That way lies frustration. At least for players like me, who spaz out and aren't hard core whackazombie people.

Thanks for the feedback Pegasus. I will definitely change the organization of Github files so that there is one mod folder that can be downloaded.

Nerdpoling: Whatever I do I will make sure it is completely modular and separated from the rest of this mod so it is seen as purely an option and not core to my mod. (Same with invisible HUD)

Zombie Speed: I am only talking about their top sprinting speed. I still want the full range of speeds: walk, jog, run, sprint, nightmare. All I would change is sprint to be closer to the player’s sprinting speed and nightmare so that zombies would be faster than the player’s sprint speed.

I too believe that players should be faster than walking zombies and I still prefer they walk during the day (actually jog). But I hate how easy it is to outrun them now even at night. It removes all fear.

Quote Originally Posted by orak View Post
    Nice work! I've always wanted to make a daily skill point system but had no idea how to do it. A survival game should be about surviving I like every other features too, but the quests are a bit of a downside to me (at this state). With more variiety it could be awesome tho! Will definitely give it a try!
    The quests are a placeholder feature until I can get what I really want. Because of gamestages and because almost all aspects of gamestage are hardcoded— players must increase in level for the game to work properly. If player level remains at 1 then the game is extremely boring and loot is always crap.

Presently, the only way to increase level is through experience points. There is only one property called “exp_to_level”. So the quests are used to give the only experience points in the game and simply for the purpose of increasing the player’s level for gamestages.

In the future I hope to be able to mod the game so that whenever you gain a skillpoint THAT will increase your level. Then I’ll completely remove experience for real and the daily timer will give a skillpoint and cause your level to increase so that quests will again become purely optional. Unfortunately for now they are required to advance the game difficulty and loot probabilities.

1)

4) Increased Top Speed of Enemies

Zombie speed is just lame right now. I've been meaning to work on this but have not but will in the future. I think that the game used to be more thrilling when the zombies stayed right on your six when you ran away and you would have to use obstacles to lose them. Now you just run for 10 seconds and lose them easily.
    I have been playing with zombie speeds for one of my modlets ... mine are 'all types of zombies' (except animals) at a fixed top speed for aggro but for me mine are more akin to walking dead style slower zombies.

Just set speeds higher to match player speed and they surely will be on your tail.... if this helps you at all.

Code:
    <set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeedAggro']/@value">0.2, 0.5</set>
    	<set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeed']/@value">0.2</set>
    	<set xpath="entity_classes/entity_class[starts-with(@name, 'zombie') and not(contains(@name, 'animal'))]/property[@name='MoveSpeedPanic']/@value">0.5</set>

OMG. What is going on. Hell froze?

Great to finally see you down here in the dungeon...

Scavenger
    2) No Nerdpoling

I've always wanted the game to prevent nerdpoling and it is clear to me that the devs have no real interest in doing this because the devs told me they have no real interest in doing this. So this will be an ongoing project of mine to figure out the best way to do this. I've gotten some suggestions and plan to test them out and if I find something I like I will make it a part of this
    I would think removing nerdpoling could be done by not allowing placement of blocks while jumping, but I have no idea if there's anything in the code that would be easy to switch to prevent it. Technically one could still just make two adjacent stacks and go back and forth, but it would slow things considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by JamsCB View Post
    I would think removing nerdpoling could be done by not allowing placement of blocks while jumping, but I have no idea if there's anything in the code that would be easy to switch to prevent it. Technically one could still just make two adjacent stacks and go back and forth, but it would slow things considerably.
    Yes, Spider mentioned in another thread that his True Survival mod did what you described but it took more than xml editing to accomplish.

Yes, Spider mentioned in another thread that his True Survival mod did what you described but it took more than xml editing to accomplish.
    Yea, it was in one of the true survival versions and was insane! Was a dll edit by another member of that team who is no longer modding unfortunately.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by JamsCB View Post
    Then you would nerdpole with a 2x1 tower instead of a 1x1.

Removing nerdpolling is pretty lofty Roland but I honestly do not see such happening in an open world builder like this. The player just has to many options and to much power. All you really accomplish is changing the way that players can nerdpole.

Ranger
    The leveling speed should be interesting here too. Typically, I am almost 3x the day number in level. Clearly that is not something that is going to be happening with this mod

Survivor
    Congratz Roland ! I really want to try this with 3) Larger Wandering Hordes

A request regarding distribution : would it be possible to have independent modlets for each feature ? You would distribute a mod with all of these modlets, but we could chose to apply, say 0xp and Larger Wandering Hordes, but not nerd polling nerf or hud ?

I believe everything that can be is modular now and I plan to continue that as much as possible.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Yeh, check out how Dust separated his mod and you'll see that you can just "pick and choose" which pieces of the mod to install.

...basically

Mods/Rolmod - NoNerdpole
    Mods/Rolmod - NoXP
    Mods/Rolmod - GuppyisAwesome

...etc

easy way to prevent nerdpoling......

remove hay bales and any type of frames, done

joking, you would have to remove a lot more than that