Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: NPCs DMT Mod

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by xyth View Post
    1. Tracking turns of in the entitiyClasses.xml, comment out this: <property name="MapIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_bullet_point"/>

It would take a bit of code to make that hired only.

2. Never tried so many at once, try it and let us know.

3. Vanilla NPCs wont work as you said, at this time you cant do what you ask.
    1. That's good, it means turning off tracking should be easily done via a modlet. Point taken about the code needed to only track hired NPCs.

2. Well, I tried this, with mixed results.

First, it seems that NPCs de-spawn when you leave the chunk. That's actually not a big deal to me personally, and it actually might make NPC-heavy worlds not consume a huge amount of resources.

Second, I tested this by adding them to many of the vanilla spawn groups. This worked somewhat, but not quite as intended.

Part of my plan was to have NPCs spawn inside POIs along with the zombies. The idea was that you would go to loot a POI, only to find one or more survivors who are already fighting for their lives, and you could help them or not.

They did spawn in these cases, but the NPCs didn't do anything. They just stood there, and didn't fight any woken zombies, or wander around, or anything like that. (They did work if you hire them after they spawn.)

I'm pretty sure this is because POI spawns are sleeper volumes, and the NPCs (zombies in vanilla) spawn in a sleeping state. In this state all AI is shut off. Waking zombies probably involves calling some kind of method that your NPCs simply aren't programmed to respond to.

Zombies would also not wake in their presence, I'm guessing because 7D2D codes them to only wake up to players. That could be OK if the NPCs did spawn in a woken state, because then they could target the sleepers, which I'm guessing would wake them.

So, I think they will only work if they are spawned into groups that aren't initially sleeping. Friendly/hostile animals are in this category, which is why your modlet works as is.

(I'm not expecting you to add the "wake up" code, just letting you know what I found.)

3. That is a pity, but it was a long shot anyway. C'est la vie.

NPCs should not despawn if they entered the world using the games biome spawner. Also, if you are using F6, make sure you don't use the default dynamic spawner, change to biome spawner. The dynamic spawner wont maintain them outside of the current chunk.

Once we get the A18 version of the Winter Project shipped we can look at NPC sleepers.

Nomad
    NPCs should not despawn if they entered the world using the games biome spawner. Also, if you are using F6, make sure you don't use the default dynamic spawner, change to biome spawner. The dynamic spawner wont maintain them outside of the current chunk.

Once we get the A18 version of the Winter Project shipped we can look at NPC sleepers.
    Actually, during test play, I did spawn in the first few NPCs using F6 (I hadn't seen Pest or Ghost before and wanted to get a feel for which zombies they should spawn with). I thought more had spawned in from sleeper hordes, but I could easily have been wrong about that. That probably explains why they de-spawned.

Don't knock yourself out trying to support NPC sleepers. I'd be very happy if you did, but I'm not expecting it, especially since I have no idea if anyone else wants them.

Also, if you need some help let me know, I'm not a game developer but do work with C# professionally.

Interesting, now that you mention it we only biome spawned the npcs from this mod in a17 fantasy mod. We were going to add them to pois this time around, so should be interesting to see whats up with that. We can use custom spawners instead if its an issue, but im curious to see if they do spawn and why they arent moving around when in sleeper groups. The custom bandits and monsters we had in a17 version spawned fine in sleeper groups.

Nomad
    One thing I also noticed: The "Pest" NPC attacks all the other NPCs (but not the player, unless attacked). Is this intentional?

Scavenger

Very useful tip there,didnt know this.

Refugee
    Yes. I mean the junk turret...

Nomad
    So, when I gave you folks leeway with spawning sleepers, I may have been a bit premature.

It turns out that you can't spawn sleepers in POIs unless they are associated with sleeper spawns, in which case they need to be able to have their sleeper volumes be "woke" as a default. AFAIK this is not the default behavior, so sleeper volumes won't spawn NPC spawners correctly.

Meaning, you can't currently spawn NPCs in POIs such that they are in a state that they would be active (wandering, whatever).

Therefore, I would love it if you solved the issue where NPCs spawn without AI in sleeper volumes.

Still not saying I expect anything, just saying this feature would make a bunch of things possible.

Thanks for listening to a rambling lunatic.