Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Spoilage of building materials

Perhaps something similar was already suggested, but i have something regarding farming:
    - Make each plot of farmland block accessible lile a chest/forge with a simple ui, based on the farming skill it would tell you more detailed information about what is growing, in which stage it is, how healthy, etc. (similar as in Project Zomboid, but this point isn't too important)
    - Make each seed have a chance to die after being planted (different plants, different chances). Advancing a stage of growth may result in staying the same, growing or dying.
    - Using water on the crop decreases chance of dying (once per growth phase)
    - Each advancement in growth increases dying chance
    - using fertilizer (may add different quality fert.) decreases dying chance a lot. Different fert. may speed up growth time or double crops harvested
    - After harvesting, the plant goes down to level 1 (as it is now), without water and fertilizer, so you have to add new
    - increase time of growing to the next phase, so that it lets the player to explore between phases
    - Add some barrels(or some machine), that would work as a water/fert source, allowing auto watering/fertilizing. Good for late game farming

If you want you can tend to plants, but either way you can have some harvest. You can try your luck and go explore for longer, make short trips or invest into machines that enhance farming. Tedious? Maybe, but definitely more satisfying.

People have been saying the ease of stockpiling food is not great, but below is a problem I have with building material stockpiles (or at least the ease of carrying them around) :

Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    If building supplies were just used for building your base, then the huge stack sizes would be fine. However, they take away from the game for adventuring or looting.
    More specifically, it takes away from the emergent gameplay of using the environment to your advantage. Let's say there's a house where one room has 20 zombies, and there's a large wood pile outside. A cool solution would be to use the wood outside to make spikes and use those to ensnare the zombies.

With insane stack sizes however, I already have 1000 wood on me at all times. Maybe I'd use spikes, but it would be because I considered the time spent whaling on a tree to recoup the loss to be more valuable than the potential ammo/hitpoints I'd lose going solo. Maybe I'd also harvest the wood pile, but it would because they yield more material per hit than a tree, saving me time in the long run, not because of any strategic decision based on my unique circumstances.

I would much rather the moment-to-moment decisions be "how can I make use of the limited resources available" rather than "Is this going to be worth the grind I'll have to do to make it up?".

I do have a few rough ideas on how to fix it, but player feedback is probably more important

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    People have been saying the ease of stockpiling food is not great, but below is a problem I have with building material stockpiles (or at least the ease of carrying them around) :
    My advice: Forget it for 7D2D. The idea would severly gimp one large important part of the game (the building part) for a cool idea that would be of relevance maybe once or twice in a typical game and ignored by most players. Cool idea, not practical for this game.

At any rate, if the game has a per item “damage level”, as it is with tools and weapons, a free parameter to define degradation, and a repeating global event that degrades those items, then modders could mod in basic food spoilage.

Stockpiles is doable on one particular condition: You can use the stockpile as long as you're in some specifically defined range. Let me elaborate:

It's hard for a player to have hundreds of wood/rock/metal pieces in the backpack, but you can build stockpiles that could contain such amounts. Additionally, you can pick up a non-empty stockpile and put it down somewhere else, but are not able to walk with it (or it prohibits movement really hard). If you want to craft some items, you have a small addition in UI that shows materials from nearby stockpiles (let's say 5 block radius, to not make it too big range). Each stockpile is different from the resource pile (wood stockpile takes up 1 inventory space and stacks up to 2000, but wood pile stacks up to 200 and does not slow down the player) and you can use stockpiles found in POIs, in the wild, etc.

RESULTS: Gathering materials is harder in big amounts and you have to move stacks multiple times or use vehicles (more uses for them). Building is mostly the same, just place stockpiles where needed and craft/upgrade blocks, shifting stockpiles around where needed.

ADD-ONS: Create easy configuration for this, adding parameters for how much a carried stockpile slows down the player (could also make it progressive, full slows down 80%, but half-full only 40%), from what material stockpile it is (modders could make new materials and new stockpiles, even from existing items) and also the range it can be used in.
    Last edited by Khulkhuum; 1 Week Ago at 01:50 PM.