Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha 17.3 commentary & not-bugs

Please tell me there is something wrong with my client. There is no way anyone would consider this an improvement over 17.2 RWG. It looks even more ridiculous the further I zoom in. Look at how long I've been here. I LOVE this game but really? Is this what everyone else is seeing right now?

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm really enjoying the increased number of zeds outside the POIs. Going into a town is more challenging now because you can't pick and choose when to engage in combat like before. Are the zombies more reactive to activity and sounds as well? They seem to get curious more easily, which is great.

Scavenger
    Has anybody else noticed certain timings are different now? Specifically, when changing toolbelt items (I use numbers, not mouse wheel) seems to take longer; also, I had pressing 'R' after searching down to a science (as I expect most people do) and it's not catching it now.

I looked through the change list again and I don't see anything that might relate to this.

The alpha channel in the new splat3.png is set to zeros.
    But the RGB colors are still in the image.

-> for people manually editing the splat3.png, the alpha values should be set to 255 for the street pixels to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by Damocles; 05-10-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Nomad
    I've been playing around with trader generation, and there is something screwy in the code. I get far more traders on an 8k map than on a 16k, using the same seed. I do get some hilarious results though.

100 traders on 8k, yet only 41 on 16k. Still some empty areas of the map on 16k.

Having 7 traders on a stretch of road is kinda neat though. Pairs of them right across from each other also amusing.

Still getting collapsing buildings (or ready to collapse).
    1 ranger station, one of the underground POI, walked by and the ground fell in.
    1 ranger station that had part of the bldg on land, the rest in mid air (stuffed some wood frames under it for giggles)

Didn't report as bug, since i'm messing with trader numbers, that could be throwing other things off. (if I have 100 traders, I'm SURE it's screwing something else up. d'oh!)

edit: mind you, the game is remarkably stable though. teleported to over 60 locations in one test, (traders and ranger stations) and the game never crashed. It would have before.

RGW preview though, have to gen 1 map, exit game, do another. trying to do 2 crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianbluebeer View Post
    I've been playing around with trader generation, and there is something screwy in the code. I get far more traders on an 8k map than on a 16k, using the same seed. I do get some hilarious results though.

100 traders on 8k, yet only 41 on 16k. Still some empty areas of the map on 16k.

Having 7 traders on a stretch of road is kinda neat though. Pairs of them right across from each other also amusing.

Still getting collapsing buildings (or ready to collapse).
    1 ranger station, one of the underground POI, walked by and the ground fell in.
    1 ranger station that had part of the bldg on land, the rest in mid air (stuffed some wood frames under it for giggles)

Didn't report as bug, since i'm messing with trader numbers, that could be throwing other things off. (if I have 100 traders, I'm SURE it's screwing something else up. d'oh!)

edit: mind you, the game is remarkably stable though. teleported to over 60 locations in one test, (traders and ranger stations) and the game never crashed. It would have before.

RGW preview though, have to gen 1 map, exit game, do another. trying to do 2 crashes.
    Is this with a mod or just vanilla implementation? Because so far I've generated 5 other maps, three 4K, two 8K, and one 16K. Only five traders total for all those maps after checking the prefabs.xml.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman.XXX View Post
    Please tell me there is something wrong with my client. There is no way anyone would consider this an improvement over 17.2 RWG. It looks even more ridiculous the further I zoom in. Look at how long I've been here. I LOVE this game but really? Is this what everyone else is seeing right now?

Ah, I see you may be a new player. As a person that started in Alpha 15, the biomes splattered around like that doesn't faze me. I can understand though, folks do like the new way of where the forest is in the middle with snow in the north and desert in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazelsun View Post
    Ah, I see you may be a new player. As a person that started in Alpha 15, the biomes splattered around like that doesn't faze me. I can understand though, folks do like the new way of where the forest is in the middle with snow in the north and desert in the south.

I've been playing since February, 2014. I have the longest continuously running server in the game, Ground Zero (groundzeroservers.com). My server has been ranked the #1 private server in the world for more than 4 years and currently the #2 server in the world overall. 7daystodie-servers.com

So NO, not a new player.

I hate this "patchwork quilt" biome layout. This was done previously in an earlier iteration of the game and was so denounced that they changed it on the next update. They said they were working on something more "natural" so I was surprised (not in a good way) to see them bring it back.
    Last edited by Madman.XXX; 05-10-2019 at 03:26 PM.

I've been playing since February 2014. I have the longest continuously running server in the game, Ground Zero (groundzeroservers.com). My server has been ranked the #1 private server in the world for more than 4 years and currently the #2 server in the world overall. 7daystodie-servers.com

So NO, not a new player.

I hate this "patchwork quilt" biome layout. This was done previously in an earlier iteration of the game and was so denounced that they changed it on the next update. They said they were working on something more "natural" so I was surprised (not in a good way) to see them bring it back.
    Well, RWG is still in development as they always say. Me, personally I like the patchwork biome feels like home to me. On the hand though, I do have to agree with you they really ought to stick to what they already had. In this case what A17.2 had, which was a forest in the middle and snow in the north with the desert in the south. Again, continue to voice your opinion and hopefully, the devs will listen.

Also, I did not mean to imply that you were a new player. It's just that for some of us, the splotchie biomes is familar. New players may not be familar with that type of RWG.
    Last edited by Weazelsun; 05-10-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Inventor

Yes I see this and I love it way more than 17.2

Colony Founder
    While SOME level of consistency is nice in the biome randomization, I do like never knowing what biome is over the next hill, etc. Keeps things interesting. My personal preference really though, so I get someone else not liking it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    Based on these fixes, I believe this counts as a bug...

The jackets are not anywhere in the loot tables, and therefore unattainable. More precisely, "jacketWhite" and "jacketLetter" are hooked up in items.xml, and work now if acquired through the creative menu. But they're absent from loot.xml and recipes.xml, so in practice the player can never encounter these items in the regular game.
    And you've spotted the bane of many devs from all the game companies: You've played the game so many times when it was unplayable that you shorthand (god mode/creative) your game play just to test the changes.

I miss the old grid style where there were bridges and rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wamplet View Post
    I miss the old grid style where there were bridges and rivers.
    Aye, that is what really is missing with the current RWG. No large bodies of water at all. Like what the heck? As much as those were troublesome to traverse, what's the point of the swimming perk with nothing to swim in? lol

@madmole

Scavenger
    There's a random flushing sound every now and then. =/
    (Not sure if it was there or not before tbh.)
    Last edited by Tete1805; 05-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.