Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Type "gfx pp enable 0" in the console for a huge performance boost.

  1. #31
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,796
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by zootal View Post
    So what I'm seeing is that shadows are a severe FPS sucker. I can max out everything else and get great fps, but turn shadows on and the game is not playable.
    Shadows on cause it to render all the objects around each shadow casting light, so it tends to be expensive, but should not be as bad as you are seeing. It is using OpenGL on linux, so probably some edge case of bad performance in Unity and/or your drivers. For A18 I shortened shadow distances (low is much shorter) and added one more distance setting, but may not do much in your case.

    What resolution are you running at?

  2. #32
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    593
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    Shadows on cause it to render all the objects around each shadow casting light, so it tends to be expensive, but should not be as bad as you are seeing. It is using OpenGL on linux, so probably some edge case of bad performance in Unity and/or your drivers. For A18 I shortened shadow distances (low is much shorter) and added one more distance setting, but may not do much in your case.

    What resolution are you running at?

    That would explain why a lot of torches in the same area or line of sight can cause a severe performance hit.

    I run at 1920x1080. I seem to recall in the not-too-distant past that I could use shadows, so it could be the current nVidia drivers set. nVidia drivers historically tend to be hit-or-miss, I might try an old driver set just to see if it makes a difference. Or like you suggested it might be a Unity issue...

  3. #33
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    593
    Rep Power
    1
    A few years ago, in an educational environment, I wrote in c++ a radiosity rendering solution for an enclosed environment. I think I was doing five bounces, and it actually looked really good. Unfortunately, I chose to use a ray tracing technique to determine if a polygon was in line of sight of a light source, and while that impressed my profs, it was horribly slow. I shudder at the thought of doing this in real time...

  4. #34
    Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,658
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLKnight View Post
    Hey I've just tested the command and I found the exact shader is killing the performance, at least for me. No surprises here, the shader is Screen Space Reflections (ssr) and halves my fps by 50% indoors with a GTX 1080:

    You can disable just this one and leave all other shaders enabled:

    Code:
    "gfx pp ssr 0"
    And thats all. This way your game will not go that ugly as typing gfx pp enable 0. The visual difference is very minimal. Display FPS with F8 key to discover it by yourself. Can you report if I'm not alone here?


    I was reporting that in the bug thread in the past with more detail:

    https://7daystodie.com/forums/showth...l=1#post953052
    I can confirm that, among post processing options, turning off screen space reflections has a big impact (gfx pp ssr 0), while other gfx commands like bloom and ambient occlusion only give me another frame or two per second.

    That’s on the “low” video settings preset, though. Like zootal, I find on higher settings my frame rate is low regardless, and post processing makes little difference.

    I’m running on macOS, and the OpenGL renderer, with an older card (AMD Radeon HD 6970M).

  5. #35
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    Low already has extremenly basic reflections going on. The main difference in the reflection settings is how fast it renders the faces of the reflection cube map. The resolution of those is not that high and lowering it make little difference.

    The reflection probe system needs to be redesigned to use multiple probes that blend together instead of constantly updating one, but that is a bunch of work and don't know when someone can get to it.


    I decided to extend the reflections testing a little more. All options to the highest except motion blur off, I7 7700k, GTX 1080, 1920x1080, vsync off, exclusive fullscreen, recent drivers. Indoor scenario:




    From 75 (low) to 145 fps (off). Ultra is getting 75 fps also, but much more fps spikes in graph. However, little visual difference and almost zero difference between low and ultra. Extended gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/xlYYgHf.

    Water surface:




    From 122 fps (reflections ultra setting) to 126 fps (off). Big visual difference.


    I think this issue should be at top priority since if a I'm getting such a giant fps loss with a GTX 1080 at 1080p, how bad are fps for most people thinking low setting is ok? No other option or shader can compare to this by large margin.

    I took a look at unity documentation and has many options to set SSR. Maybe I'm talking too much about a thing I don't know, but would be possible to revisit them just in case you missed something?


  6. #36
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,796
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLKnight View Post
    I decided to extend the reflections testing a little more. All options to the highest except motion blur off, I7 7700k, GTX 1080, 1920x1080, vsync off, exclusive fullscreen, recent drivers. Indoor scenario:

    From 75 (low) to 145 fps (off). Ultra is getting 75 fps also, but much more fps spikes in graph. However, little visual difference and almost zero difference between low and ultra. Extended gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/xlYYgHf.

    Water surface:
    From 122 fps (reflections ultra setting) to 126 fps (off). Big visual difference.


    I think this issue should be at top priority since if a I'm getting such a giant fps loss with a GTX 1080 at 1080p, how bad are fps for most people thinking low setting is ok? No other option or shader can compare to this by large margin.

    I took a look at unity documentation and has many options to set SSR. Maybe I'm talking too much about a thing I don't know, but would be possible to revisit them just in case you missed something?
    The reflection setting changes the reflection probe updating, which is basically probe distance, resolution and update rate. You have to be moving around to see the difference in update rate. I don't recall the difference for me between off and low being anything as drastic as you are experiencing.

    The reflection setting does not do anything with SSR. SSR is a completely separate system. I do need to review the SSR settings, since they were made by an artist for looks, not performance. A off/low/med/high may be more useful than an off/on (in A18).

  7. #37
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    50% performance boost!

    Saw the "gfx pp enable 0" command, tried, i instantly got 50% more FPS... had like 20, now average is 30, sometimes 35-40. Make sure you try it! still far from my 60 FPS in Alpha 16...

  8. #38
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,796
    Rep Power
    2
    Yesterday I moved these changes from A18 to A17.4:

    Added Bloom and SS Reflections graphics options and reordered.
    Fixed SSAO graphics option, so not always on.
    Added medium shadow distance option (closer than the old low) and reduced low to faster values.
    Added Ultra graphics preset (similar to old High) and reduced Medium and High settings a little.
    Fixed graphics options defaults that were not medium.

  9. #39
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    38
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    Yesterday I moved these changes from A18 to A17.4:

    Added Bloom and SS Reflections graphics options and reordered.
    Fixed SSAO graphics option, so not always on.
    Added medium shadow distance option (closer than the old low) and reduced low to faster values.
    Added Ultra graphics preset (similar to old High) and reduced Medium and High settings a little.
    Fixed graphics options defaults that were not medium.

    Thank you very much faatal, sounds amazing.

    Could be great to alert users with a red text like "slow!" or "experimental" just beside SSR option and disabled by default.

  10. #40
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,145
    Rep Power
    1
    I guess "gfx pp enable 0" doesn't affect Radeon users as much as it does Nvidia users. I haven't noticed any difference between gfx pp enable 1 and 0 on my RX Vega 56.

  11. #41
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,042
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.devolver View Post
    I guess "gfx pp enable 0" doesn't affect Radeon users as much as it does Nvidia users. I haven't noticed any difference between gfx pp enable 1 and 0 on my RX Vega 56.
    Waiting on my Vega 64 😁.
    Still got my GTX970 should I not like AMD (haven't run AMD in years).

    I feel a bit like a kid on x-mas...

  12. #42
    Reconstructionist Aerial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.devolver View Post
    I guess "gfx pp enable 0" doesn't affect Radeon users as much as it does Nvidia users. I haven't noticed any difference between gfx pp enable 1 and 0 on my RX Vega 56.
    gfx pp enable 0 made a huge difference for me in GPU usage (my fps is decent but I get lots of stutter from my GPU maxing out), and generally had little impact on the game's visual appearance until I got into the desert. The light spectrum changes going into/out of the desert were awful - very flickery - and the desert itself was bright yellow with lots of what seemed to be light bloom making it really hard to see anything.

  13. #43
    Fun Pimps Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,796
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by HeLLKnight View Post
    Thank you very much faatal, sounds amazing.

    Could be great to alert users with a red text like "slow!" or "experimental" just beside SSR option and disabled by default.
    The default video settings are medium and medium has SSR off.

    Np.

  14. #44
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    0
    Can you add FOV in as well? it is configurable in the registry already.

  15. #45
    Refugee
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Log Cabin in The Woods
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by faatal View Post
    Yesterday I moved these changes from A18 to A17.4:

    Added Bloom and SS Reflections graphics options and reordered.
    Fixed SSAO graphics option, so not always on.
    Added medium shadow distance option (closer than the old low) and reduced low to faster values.
    Added Ultra graphics preset (similar to old High) and reduced Medium and High settings a little.
    Fixed graphics options defaults that were not medium.
    What about adding back the FoV slider, I mean the option is working, why have us typing sg OptionsFieldOfViewNew every time we open the game?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •