Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Balancing SP

Guys... Guys. GUYS!

A18 is around the corner, so let's wait for it, because some of your concerns may as well be moot at this point.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Euzio View Post
    There is already an XP multiplier option in the game. We can set it to as low as 25%(or is it 50%?) and as high as 400% (the standard being 100%).

However, as mentioned before, player level will correspond to the gamestage so in SP, its not exactly ideal for the player to level up too fast. We don't exactly want to be fighting ferals and irradiated often when we don't have the gear or weapons for it. Hence, an option to increase the skill points gained per level instead would probably be better. It also will have some benefits for MP in that server hosts can choose whether they want to have that option as well. Like for example, players who play as a duo only but would like to have more choices available so they'd be able to play with skill point gain of 2 per level instead of 1.
    I agree in theory, though doubling the amount of points might be excessive, idk. At some point it does break the game by letting the player unlock everything very fast.

Survivor
    The new perking system gave me some hope that I won't have to grind levels non stop to be a decent base builder.

Scavenger
    Late to the party, but quick replies are too easy..
    Assuming added skill points would be the goal for SP; wouldn't an organic way to balance the difference between group sizes be granting at least some of them via loot? One POI gives, say 1-5 skill points, single player gets them all, a group of 3 gets "one each".

Oh, did I just describe the A18 book system? Sounds... plausible?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by theFlu View Post
    Late to the party, but quick replies are too easy..
    Assuming added skill points would be the goal for SP; wouldn't an organic way to balance the difference between group sizes be granting at least some of them via loot? One POI gives, say 1-5 skill points, single player gets them all, a group of 3 gets "one each".

Oh, did I just describe the A18 book system? Sounds... plausible?
    In the first moment yes. But:

Groups can clear POIs faster than a single player, so while he gets to read all 3 books out of one POI, the group has cleared nearly 3 POI's and found 9 books.

And it gets worse: Since a complete book set gives a special bonus and specific players need some books more than others, the group can distribute the 9 books to the players that benefit the most and already have learned books in that specific set.

Scavenger
    Sure;
    While I'm not convinced of the "equal speed to book cases" as a group of 3 - there's plenty of added overhead from the players coordinating and some added gamestage-difficulty even in the current implementation.
    But, the group will always "as the bare minimum" have the option of splitting into three separate "single players" whenever that is more effective, so there's never going to be a way to really balance the situation.

But I think the coming book system won't in practice feel as unfair as the current one. (I've never even faced the issue myself tbh, I haven't stepped into a multiplayer-with-strangers in this game ever.. )