Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 179

Thread: Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

  1. #121
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Sorry. My point was: If you were a PC player (just hypothetically) and did follow the PC side closely while also playing the game and therefore very interested in news and details about the new version, you probably would have been unhappy about the communication at the time of A17 development. Because a lot of people were actually unhappy and commented about it.
    I’m a pc player and even tho I never sneer or look down on console players I have to say that pc players were TFPs customers first and if I remember right pc players were promised that console dev wouldn’t get in the way of pc dev.

    If tfp gets their rights back they can’t go into immediate update mode for console anyway. They put that on Telltale so they could keep their promise to their first customers. Which is pc players.

    So I just don’t see console getting worked on unless they find some other publisher and who would want to take on this game that is over two years old now? They need to finish the pc game first or there will be hell to pay from a much much much bigger group of customers that have always been customers of TFP than those of you who were Telltale customers and now are hoping that you can call yourself TFP customers because they got their rights back and you want something from them.

    TFP is and was a pc programming company and maybe in the future they will be a console programming company but it better not be before the pc game is done. That promise comes before any hopes or dreams of newer customers.

    It’s a hard truth but it’s the plain truth. Legit.

  2. #122
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rust Buddy View Post
    I’m a pc player and even tho I never sneer or look down on console players I have to say that pc players were TFPs customers first and if I remember right pc players were promised that console dev wouldn’t get in the way of pc dev.

    If tfp gets their rights back they can’t go into immediate update mode for console anyway. They put that on Telltale so they could keep their promise to their first customers. Which is pc players.

    So I just don’t see console getting worked on unless they find some other publisher and who would want to take on this game that is over two years old now? They need to finish the pc game first or there will be hell to pay from a much much much bigger group of customers that have always been customers of TFP than those of you who were Telltale customers and now are hoping that you can call yourself TFP customers because they got their rights back and you want something from them.

    TFP is and was a pc programming company and maybe in the future they will be a console programming company but it better not be before the pc game is done. That promise comes before any hopes or dreams of newer customers.

    It’s a hard truth but it’s the plain truth. Legit.
    That may be the truth but come on man. Console (I’m talking about PS4 since that’s where I play) is way further back than PC. We have so many problems that it’s hell to play. We have constant crashes that it makes it frustrating to play. My friends and I get an “Error in the application” from every 30 mins to an hour. I understand you guys were promised and I can’t change that. I understand your point too dude. But, console is way behind PC and we need fixes and such ASAP. Understand that please

  3. #123
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by y_soap_74 View Post
    That may be the truth but come on man. Console (I’m talking about PS4 since that’s where I play) is way further back than PC. We have so many problems that it’s hell to play. We have constant crashes that it makes it frustrating to play. My friends and I get an “Error in the application” from every 30 mins to an hour. I understand you guys were promised and I can’t change that. I understand your point too dude. But, console is way behind PC and we need fixes and such ASAP. Understand that please
    Fixes and such yes.

    Being way behind PC version is a different story. It was has been said from the start and is in a sticky or was think it has been moved to a group of sticky threads or something why console would not be the same as PC version. One TT sold the console version as a finished version of what PC had in A14. They said that the console might not get anymore things the PC has due to the console limitations. They said they would try and add what they can. They did and was goin to add a little more before this crap happened. But the next update that may or may not happen now might be the last and who knows exactly what it had in it. Lets say console does get the update at some point they have done more optimization on the PC side for better performance so guess it is possible to get more and by the time this is settle and we do get an update it might be a different update then what it was goin to be. Either way it was no guarantee the console would be the same or near the same as PC version.

    They did say the console wouldn't get in the way of those that been part of the kickstarter and so on way before console version was even a thing. But with the way things have happened things change and beside PC version is not far from being out of alpha. Plus they said they would do what they can for all. At the time when console came about the statements held more reason to it. So once the legal stuff is handled and if they can do anything more for console I'm sure it will get done how ever it is they are to do it from themselves or get another publisher. Right now it is just a waiting game not much anyone can do.

  4. #124
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rust Buddy View Post
    I’m a pc player and even tho I never sneer or look down on console players I have to say that pc players were TFPs customers first and if I remember right pc players were promised that console dev wouldn’t get in the way of pc dev.

    If tfp gets their rights back they can’t go into immediate update mode for console anyway. They put that on Telltale so they could keep their promise to their first customers. Which is pc players.

    So I just don’t see console getting worked on unless they find some other publisher and who would want to take on this game that is over two years old now? They need to finish the pc game first or there will be hell to pay from a much much much bigger group of customers that have always been customers of TFP than those of you who were Telltale customers and now are hoping that you can call yourself TFP customers because they got their rights back and you want something from them.

    TFP is and was a pc programming company and maybe in the future they will be a console programming company but it better not be before the pc game is done. That promise comes before any hopes or dreams of newer customers.

    It’s a hard truth but it’s the plain truth. Legit.
    You are right and you are wrong. You are right that TFP will keep concentrating on the PC version. They are a small shop and don't have any expertise on console. I assume working directly on the console version is and was never their plan.

    The only practical solution I can think of (if ever a solution comes about) would be to 1) get the rights to the code already developed before Telltale went under. And 2) to hire a console developer, preferably Iron Galaxy who already knows that code. They won't get a publisher to do it, (no money in it). They might hire a publisher to do the publishing on console, but then TFP has to pay the publisher as well.
    Last edited by meganoth; 07-11-2019 at 12:52 AM.

  5. #125
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0
    See I keep reading that TFP are absolved of any blame in this situation. That is categorically false. Their name is on the product. Whether or not they published or distributed the game directly to console, they had a hand in the decision to port it to console. Therefore, their name is on the line when it comes to the unmitigated disaster of a mess the console port was, is and forever will be. They put their trust and faith in TT and IG...or they just offered up the rights to publish on console to the highest bidder. After all, money does make the world go 'round.

    In any case, their name is dragged through the wringer just as much as TT and IG, if not more so to be honest, because they are the creators of the game and their name is on the game.

    I know people will disagree and TFP employees will disagree but that's just the way things work. And the more time that passes without any real news about the console version of the game, the more the resentment towards TFP will grow. Unfortunately for TFP and IG, for that matter, that resentment will grow to a point where there will be people who won't buy any product with either name attached to them. I'm sure this has already occurred though, to be honest.

    When you back a loser, which is what TFP did, you also become a loser.

  6. #126
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Provence, France
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMang View Post
    TFP ... had a hand in the decision to port it to console.
    Hello.
    Just as SONY published Demon Souls in Japan, and licenced it to Bandai and Atlus in NA and Europe.
    Just as Blizzard published Diablo 3 in NA and Europe and licenced it to Square Enix for Japan.
    This list goes on endlessly ...

    In short, game developers who don't believe in strong sales for a specific region or platform are used to licence their game for publishing.
    The publisher takes all financial risks,
    In case of the publisher bankruptcy, as in 7DTD console, this can lead to unexpected side effects.
    This just means TFP strongly believed (they were right or not, that's not the point here) 7DTD on console was to be a financial loss as they licensed it.
    Last edited by irjvik; 07-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.

  7. #127
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by irjvik View Post
    This just means TFP strongly believed (they were right or not, that's not the point here) 7DTD on console was to be a financial loss as they licensed it.
    IMHO the fact that TFP is a very small developer without the resources or the knowledge of console development is the primary reason they didn't go for a console version, not the believe it wouldn't make money.
    * Software development in a small team is so much better than in a big segmented team.
    * Expanding a company in a short time is also not that easy and has major risks involved.

    I even would guess this might have been an investment that Telltale made money off, but not much compared to the money sinks they had with their high profile adventures. It was probably small fish either way considering 7D2D never was mentioned in ANY news article about the bancruptcy.

  8. #128
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,310
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    IMHO the fact that TFP is a very small developer without the resources or the knowledge of console development is the primary reason they didn't go for a console version, not the believe it wouldn't make money.
    * Software development in a small team is so much better than in a big segmented team.
    * Expanding a company in a short time is also not that easy and has major risks involved.

    I even would guess this might have been an investment that Telltale made money off, but not much compared to the money sinks they had with their high profile adventures. It was probably small fish either way considering 7D2D never was mentioned in ANY news article about the bancruptcy.
    Again, I feel it should be noted that TFP didn't even initially come up with the idea of a console version. TellTale Games approached TFP with the desire to do a console port.

  9. #129
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Again, I feel it should be noted that TFP didn't even initially come up with the idea of a console version. TellTale Games approached TFP with the desire to do a console port.
    Has that not been said? Besides just in this thread. I'm pretty sure TFP said years ago that they had no intention on a console version or at least while the PC version was still in alpha. If it wasn't for TT console wouldn't even have a version of the game.

  10. #130
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    The fun pimps May have got a raw deal when TT went under but they never intended there be a console version is not a valid defense whatever they intended went out the window when they signed the contracts and allowed their game to be brought to consoles

  11. #131
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    While this whole ordeal may tarnish there name and the console version may or may not go any further I have no way of knowing but I personally have much enjoyment from this game and glad I came to console or I never would’ve played it so hope console continues but if it doesn’t thank you fun pimps and hope works out well for you

  12. #132
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Again, I feel it should be noted that TFP didn't even initially come up with the idea of a console version. TellTale Games approached TFP with the desire to do a console port.
    So then why would TFP give out false hope of “regaining the rights” to finish the update “that is so close to being finished”?? IF TFP don’t want to have anything to do with console then they should come out and say it. This whole thread is only here because some of us are still under the impression that TFP actually plan on doing something about the current version of 7D2D for console. Which IMHO isn’t going to happen, but TFP left the window open so until they close it we just have to hang around.

    Yes TTG approached TFP with the desire to do a console port. Unfortunately TFP are the ones that have keep us hanging around because they are not person enough to step up and tell us it isn’t going to happen. No TFP are going to hide behind the legal stuff. Which would have had to been resolved long before the auction of the source code. Which Sherwood Partners who handled the closing of TTG confirmed the console source code was sold.

    You can google Sherwood Partners and get the phone number. Call and leave at least 5-6 messages and someone will call you back. You can ask them the same questions I did and find out the source code was sold and to an anonymous bidder. Of course if TFP are truly in a legal battle with a company that no longer exists then please post the .pdf of the legal document that would have been submitted to some court I assume in California.

    So is it TFP want to be involved with console or not?? Since you keep bringing up the fact the console port wasn’t their idea, I don’t know why I would believe all of a sudden they want to fix what wasn’t their idea.

  13. #133
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,497
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle604 View Post
    So then why would TFP give out false hope of “regaining the rights” to finish the update “that is so close to being finished”?? IF TFP don’t want to have anything to do with console then they should come out and say it. This whole thread is only here because some of us are still under the impression that TFP actually plan on doing something about the current version of 7D2D for console. Which IMHO isn’t going to happen, but TFP left the window open so until they close it we just have to hang around.

    Yes TTG approached TFP with the desire to do a console port. Unfortunately TFP are the ones that have keep us hanging around because they are not person enough to step up and tell us it isn’t going to happen. No TFP are going to hide behind the legal stuff. Which would have had to been resolved long before the auction of the source code. Which Sherwood Partners who handled the closing of TTG confirmed the console source code was sold.

    You can google Sherwood Partners and get the phone number. Call and leave at least 5-6 messages and someone will call you back. You can ask them the same questions I did and find out the source code was sold and to an anonymous bidder. Of course if TFP are truly in a legal battle with a company that no longer exists then please post the .pdf of the legal document that would have been submitted to some court I assume in California.

    So is it TFP want to be involved with console or not?? Since you keep bringing up the fact the console port wasn’t their idea, I don’t know why I would believe all of a sudden they want to fix what wasn’t their idea.

    That is your choice to believe it or not.

    Nobody said they wasn't goin to do anything with the console version. It was just brought that they didn't intend to have a console version or at least while they was still in alpha stages on PC. Things happen and crap went down so things change that was unpredictable. They said they would do what they can for every platform. Can't recall them ever coming out and saying something and if it can't happen to not give a reason to why.

    Just because the game was sold in the auction does not mean legal stuff is done. They said recently in a video that they can't go into the console stuff due to legal issues. Not sure exactly what you want them to do? They don't have anything new to talk about and legally can't talk about it. If you feel that it is BS and a lie then why even bother coming back here?

  14. #134
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crazywildfire View Post
    That is your choice to believe it or not.

    Nobody said they wasn't goin to do anything with the console version. It was just brought that they didn't intend to have a console version or at least while they was still in alpha stages on PC. Things happen and crap went down so things change that was unpredictable. They said they would do what they can for every platform. Can't recall them ever coming out and saying something and if it can't happen to not give a reason to why.

    Just because the game was sold in the auction does not mean legal stuff is done. They said recently in a video that they can't go into the console stuff due to legal issues. Not sure exactly what you want them to do? They don't have anything new to talk about and legally can't talk about it. If you feel that it is BS and a lie then why even bother coming back here?
    Because I am waiting for the truth to come out. I watched the video, and heard them say nothing new and legal stuff. The reality is there is something new and TFP know if they are the anonymous winners or not. So if there is a legal battle going on, what county and state is the lawsuit filed in? If it is truly in a legal battle, there is a legal public knowledge document out there. The document for assignment of TTG was online, and the two lawsuits from former employees who were upset because in California you are supposed to give 60 days notice for closing. That is a legal battle, and proof can be found at the California courts online records.

    I come here to hear one way or the other it is happening or its dead. When TFP say it I will understand. I am sorry, but the they never wanted to do the console port is opposite of the thought they will now continue the console port. IF the TellTale Update post said sorry guys the game is done and over we would have all moved on, but they gave the impression that maybe things might go a different way. I wouldnÂ’t say their initial posts were BS or lies. TellTale Games didnÂ’t even have the decency to tell us what was going to happen, but in mid 2018 acted like everything was moving along just fine. So I feel like we have been down this road before, I just keep hoping I am wrong. But everything seems to point in a other direction.

  15. #135
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    1
    "Legal issue" is not the same as "legal battle"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •