Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Advice for returning player

  1. #1
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    0

    Advice for returning player

    I'm in the process of playing a game for the first time in a while. I'm pretty sure that this is my first game on the latest patch, as I don't think that I ever played with traders before.

    My biggest question is around a decent horde defence. I'm currently using Pillar 50 and mostly using melee through them, but as that is what I've used in the past, I'm wondering if there is a better or more fun solution. I've seen people on the PC use poles horizontally, but I have no idea if it's viable on console.

    Also, how does mining work now? I know that there are veins of specific resources rather than just everything available everywhere, and that you have to find gravel patches to find the veins. It seems that all resources are available in all biomes (I'm currently in savanna and I've found everything in various places), but I'm not sure if this is the case across all biomes. I haven't hit the desert yet, but I assume that is only where oil shale is found.

    In relation to levelling, I can see that you get experience from zombie kills, but do you continue to get experience for a task (say weapon smithing) after you have reached level 100 in that skill?

    Do you get different amount of resources depending on the type of tool you use? Do you get more wood by using a steel axe compared to an iron axe? I didn't get any more wood (unless 1 extra counts) by using a chainsaw compared to a steel axe, but I haven't tested for the more basic tools.

    Is there anything else that I should know? I'm already up to day 25 or so and I've had the odd SNAFU (like spawning in the snow and getting mauled by a lumberjack, but I'm pretty sure we've all been there).

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,335
    Rep Power
    1
    I personally favor this base design...
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...861B95DC13814/
    It's basically a square with offset wedges. Forge room, ect is all underground.

    Mining depends on what map you're playing. Navezgane the resources are basically fixed. RWG is just dig until you find what you're looking for. Shale is limited to the Desert biome.

    Yes, you keep getting experience when the skill level is max. It just won't up the skills.

    Different tools just change the harvest speed. Say 5 hits with an iron pick vs 2 hits with a steel pick. Should still get similar resource amounts in the end. You will get more wood using an axe than a pickaxe though, and vice versa.

    If you're on day 25, you're getting along pretty well.

  3. #3
    Tracker Jimmy the Tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    1
    In terms of bases, I've just stuck to the good old prison but I've modified it a bit.

    I walled up the ground floor door and created a drawbridge to get in/out. I've double layered the outer walls and put a row of spikes along the wall, second block up, to deter spiders. Inside I have a garden and a wooden structure in the courtyard, along with catwalk access to the wall on wither side of the front bars.

    So far it's kept me alive for a very long time (I'm almost at day 100) and has yet to be breached.

  4. #4
    Nomad
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    0
    Also, has the bug been fixed relating to logging off on Horde Day? As in, if you log out on say day 7, then you don't get a horde that night?

    I'm working around it by allowing the application to be suspended when I put my PS4 into standby mode, but I think that this is having an impact on zombie spawns in general as I'm not seeing the expected number of zombies around POIs.

  5. #5
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCervelo View Post
    Also, has the bug been fixed relating to logging off on Horde Day? As in, if you log out on say day 7, then you don't get a horde that night?

    I'm working around it by allowing the application to be suspended when I put my PS4 into standby mode, but I think that this is having an impact on zombie spawns in general as I'm not seeing the expected number of zombies around POIs.
    I used to play on ps4 and this was never an issue for me. Not much has changed from last you played im sure there really hasnt been any updates in the past year. For defense just dig a hole and wait it out the AI is pretty stupid and they cant dig straight down. You may have a bunch the next morning but they'll all be normal slow zeds instead of horde zeds. Or dig 2 holes and a tunnel and just exit away from where they are. If you dont want to fight you can avoid ever having to do a horde night

  6. #6
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    844
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCervelo View Post
    Also, has the bug been fixed relating to logging off on Horde Day? As in, if you log out on say day 7, then you don't get a horde that night?

    I'm working around it by allowing the application to be suspended when I put my PS4 into standby mode, but I think that this is having an impact on zombie spawns in general as I'm not seeing the expected number of zombies around POIs.
    There have been no updates to the game in over a year. No bug fixes, nothing.

    As far as a good replacement for the 50 pillars, I used 1/4 blocks rotated out and horizontal and down. That way you can crouch and hit through the gaps, but the zombies still cannot get through

  7. #7
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0
    The rest of the questions have been answered. So I will comment on the best "defenses." There are of course the usual dig a hole and hide, or a heavily reinforced compound behind a moat with wooden spikes, etc.

    However, the cheesiest and arguably best I've ever seen is a square of fences/railings (sorry can't recall the exact building material off the top of my head) on flat ground. That's it. Multiple rows (2-3 squares) work even better. On the console the zombies just get hung up in a jumping animation with few getting past or doing an significant damage. You can just stand in the center and headshot them at your leisure.

    This method is so broken that my friends and I ban it in our games since it takes all of the challenge and fun out. Still I point it out if your not bothered by that fact.

  8. #8
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    844
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernagon View Post
    The rest of the questions have been answered. So I will comment on the best "defenses." There are of course the usual dig a hole and hide, or a heavily reinforced compound behind a moat with wooden spikes, etc.

    However, the cheesiest and arguably best I've ever seen is a square of fences/railings (sorry can't recall the exact building material off the top of my head) on flat ground. That's it. Multiple rows (2-3 squares) work even better. On the console the zombies just get hung up in a jumping animation with few getting past or doing an significant damage. You can just stand in the center and headshot them at your leisure.

    This method is so broken that my friends and I ban it in our games since it takes all of the challenge and fun out. Still I point it out if your not bothered by that fact.
    Poles dont work on console. The toothy design stopped working with the last major update we did get. The zombies/dogs crawl under the horizontal poles, and through the vertical ones.

  9. #9
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nootcaase View Post
    Poles dont work on console. The toothy design stopped working with the last major update we did get. The zombies/dogs crawl under the horizontal poles, and through the vertical ones.
    This was recent. Well after the last Xbox One update. It wasn't poles. This was a method using fences in a square around the character. Specifically the last time it was tested was only a few months ago using wood farm fence, but any fence type will work.

  10. #10
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nootcaase View Post
    Poles dont work on console. The toothy design stopped working with the last major update we did get. The zombies/dogs crawl under the horizontal poles, and through the vertical ones.
    Toothy design on console still works. Very rarely will one jump through the vertical poles and dogs do not crawl under the horizontal ones (their mesh is too big) but also very rarely will a crawler get thru.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dernagon View Post
    This was recent. Well after the last Xbox One update. It wasn't poles. This was a method using fences in a square around the character. Specifically the last time it was tested was only a few months ago using wood farm fence, but any fence type will work.
    I've got some friends who lay the catwalks in a square then put the fences above them. Zoms never get thru or do any damage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •