Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Child Zombies

Child Zombies

Just sayin'....My twin 11 year old blonde haired daughters (One does gymnastics and the other does rock climbing) both asked me if you would implement zombie children. I'll let them voice act it for you if you need a voice sample. Wouldn't it be cool to have a pair of nimble children that whisper, giggle, and do cartwheels and flips while the other one climbs up your base to scratch and bite at you.
    Last edited by Ti2xGr; 06-17-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    Just sayin'....My twin 11 year old blonde haired daughters (One does gymnastics and the other does rock climbing) both asked me if you would implement zombie children. I'll let them voice act it for you if you need a voice sample. Wouldn't it be cool to have a pair of nimble children that whisper, giggle, and do cartwheels and flips while the other one climbs up your base to scratch and bite at you.
    Since Zombies are targets to kill, I doubt they would include children zombies...

Just sayin'....My twin 11 year old blonde haired daughters (One does gymnastics and the other does rock climbing) both asked me if you would implement zombie children. I'll let them voice act it for you if you need a voice sample. Wouldn't it be cool to have a pair of nimble children that whisper and do cartwheels and flips while the other one climbs up your base to scratch and bite at you.
    In looking at introducing any game mechanic, I ask two questions of myself (amongst others):

1) Will implementing this make anyone more likely to buy it.

2) Will implementing this make anyone less likely to buy it.

In this case of Zombie Children, the answer to the first question is "Likely not", and the answer to the second question is "Almost certainly". On that basis alone I wouldn't implement it if I were the Pimps, but I guess only time will tell whether they figure on a different cost/benefit analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post
    In looking at introducing any game mechanic, I ask two questions of myself (amongst others):

In this case of Zombie Children, the answer to the first question is "Likely not", and the answer to the second question is "Almost certainly". On that basis alone I wouldn't implement it if I were the Pimps, but I guess only time will tell whether they figure on a different cost/benefit analysis.
    How do you come to this conclusion? I only see it as another zombie type. It is requested quite frequently, so I'm curious.

so you want to blow the brains out of something that looks like your child?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUs5000 View Post
    How do you come to this conclusion? I only see it as another zombie type. It is requested quite frequently, so I'm curious.
    I think NukemDed's reaction would not be a unique one.

In short, I don't think putting Zombie Children into the base game, is going to do diddly squat for sales on the upside, and I have little doubt it'll actually put some people off of buying it (especially parents for their children for example).

So, what's the upside for TFP doing it? Especially since modders can add them in. If I were TFP, and I'm most definitely not, I'd be thinking I get little to no reward for doing it, and take a hit for doing it, so, well, why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by NukemDed View Post
    The cop looks my uncle and the stripper looks like... someone.
    But no, I want to the blow the brains out of something that looks like a zombie child.

Notice I mentioned the stripper. So, parents buying for children is a poor scenario.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    TFP have said they're not going to do zombie children. Many fans have assumed that killing child zombies wouldn't be well received by the public.

As a gamer and game developer myself I would, out of principle, passionately defend a developer's right to include such content as part of their artistic vision if they wanted to. I think there are valid arguments for it (precedent in some well respected, household-name, mature games; a fundamental tenet in zombie lore that zombies are no longer human) and valid arguments against it (lack of character development makes 7DtD a poor medium to do justice to a child zombie character). Ultimately, they're just not interested in going there, which is a decision to respect.

Edit: and this has been debated exhaustively even before I got here, which is why I'm giving the short version.
    Last edited by Crater Creator; 06-17-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Colony Founder
    The cop looks my uncle and the stripper looks like... someone.
    But no, I want to the blow the brains out of something that looks like a zombie child.

Notice I mentioned the stripper. So, parents buying for children is a poor scenario.
    Depends... Since nudety seems worse than death scenes in a lot of countries, logic does not apply here.

It may very well be, that the child zombie is just SO much worse than even nudety!

I know... It does not make sense... But so much stuff doesn't. Just look at what people believe... Its nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    TFP have said they're not going to do zombie children. Many fans have assumed that killing child zombies wouldn't be well received by the public.

As a gamer and game developer myself I would, out of principle, passionately defend a developer's right to include such content as part of their artistic vision if they wanted to. I think there are valid arguments for it (precedent in some well respected, household-name, mature games; a fundamental tenet in zombie lore that zombies are no longer human) and valid arguments against it (lack of character development makes 7DtD a poor medium to do justice to a child zombie character). Ultimately, they're just not interested in going there, which is a decision to respect.

Edit: and this has been debated exhaustively even before I got here, which is why I'm giving the short version.
    Tried finding posts from MM discussing it. Found one saying they talked about it, and another from 2015 stating UMA zombies could be scaled (not so applicable now).
    Anyway, I agree. This is the devs' choice of course. A few developers have stood their ground on this topic recently, and good on them too. Morality and sensitivity to these kinds of things does not mesh with this. I always saw the stripper as a bold statement in this regard, and it makes this game awesome.

Colony Founder
    Think about it. You build a child zombie into a game in which you shoot at zombies. In other words, you would have a game where you shoot children. With that the game should be would in many countries. In the USA you will probably get an AO rating.

Players who demand something like that don't want a survival game. They want a horror movie in which they can play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    Think about it. You build a child zombie into a game in which you shoot at zombies. In other words, you would have a game where you shoot children. With that the game should be would in many countries. In the USA you will probably get an AO rating.

Players who demand something like that don't want a survival game. They want a horror movie in which they can play a part.
    By that logic, a game where you shoot anybody is just as bad. Here we are not shooting people. We are shooting things that are no longer human in a fictional setting. The exception here is PVP where you can shoot humans. Shouldn't that be banned?

Quote Originally Posted by OzHawkeye View Post

Both of those will have same answer imho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NukemDed View Post
    Child or not, same ♥♥♥♥. Point being that it is more immersive. And adds new type of zombie that will be different while staying in terms of "reality". Also, what do you think were the most feared thing from Silent Hill by most people? Yep, those damned childern.

Colony Founder
    By that logic, a game where you shoot anybody is just as bad. Here we are not shooting people. We are shooting things that are no longer human in a fictional setting. The exception here is PVP where you can shoot humans. Shouldn't that be banned?
    It doesn't matter whether they are human children or children who are no longer human. Children are a very sensitive topic. Violence against children is for most people something they do not accept.

Asked differently, why should you be able to shoot children? Is there a logical reason why you should build something like this into a game that doesn't reflect reality anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    It doesn't matter whether they are human children or children who are no longer human. Children are a very sensitive topic. Violence against children is for most people something they do not accept.

Asked differently, why should you be able to shoot children? Is there a logical reason why you should build something like this into a game that doesn't reflect reality anyway?
    Supporting the "horror" tag with more things than garage doors being 3 blocks wide and drawbridge 4 blocks wide, as Roland said

I do completely understand why TFP do not want to include this kind of.. content.. in the game. It is their game, and their choice. But you should not be demonitizing people who like more immersion and / or heavier swing into horror gendre.