Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop People From Quitting Because Of Night Time

Refugee
    Running horde zombies are just terrifying to most people... and it's quite understandble. I don't quite get why people don't want zombie horde in a post-apocalyptic zombie survival game. I haven't had much problem with them yet but I have a feeling I just jinxed myself.

Also the fun part with 7 days to die is the setting. I hate running zombies so I deactivated that feature, but put myself with the most amount of zombies. Doggies are the "runners" for me and it feels quite chaotic when I stop running and zombies start spawning (apparently you can outchase the spawn rate of zombies, chug water while running = gg)

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiek4d5 View Post
    Unfortunatly that can't be helped. If they want to quit there is nothing the Fun Pimps can do or would do. If they did that then they would be losing their consumers, and they don't want that. The worst you could do is call them chickens (anything more would be abuse and bullying).
    Actually there is something they can do, just like they disabled the pause menu in single player mode. It is simple, it isn't about PUNISHING other players, it is about ADDED IMMERSION. I'm not saying that everyone has to not be a chicken, you quit at night time because you can and because it is so easy to do. I used to enjoy hiding the whole night with my friends to survive the next night as the zombies broke down our barricaded bathroom. Once you realize you can just log off it becomes an inevitable part of gameplay for everyone but with a persistent player it would take this unimmersive behavior away. It is basically like putting an infinite health button right on the screen and I am asking to put the infinite health button in the debug menu instead. Quitting = infinite health.
    Last edited by EnableScope; 07-02-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by EnableScope View Post
    Actually there is something they can do, just like they disabled the pause menu in single player mode. It is simple, it isn't about PUNISHING other players, it is about ADDED IMMERSION. I'm not saying that everyone has to not be a chicken, you quit at night time because you can and because it is so easy to do. I used to enjoy hiding the whole night with my friends to survive the next night as the zombies broke down our barricaded bathroom. Once you realize you can just log off it becomes an inevitable part of gameplay for everyone but with a persistent player it would take this unimmersive behavior away. It is basically like putting an infinite health button right on the screen and I am asking to put the infinite health button in the debug menu instead. Quitting = infinite health.
    Well, yes I do see that. But taking something away can be considered a punishment for some. For a persistant player it could be seen as cheating. Unfortunatly removing the quit button would make people stop playing altogether because most of them have jobs and can not waste a single minute waiting for a chance to save their game in order to exit it. The quit option is fast and effective. I play on my lunch hour occasionally and love the option to quit when I need to so I am not late for work. I can not wait to log out because in need to do it quickly and in one minute. Half of my lunch time is spent driving to my house and back to work, the other half is spent playing. I time it so I arrive at work at least 5 minutes early, I can not be late, and so I can not have the game hold me back.

Taking out the Quit option is out of the question, think of a better solution please.

Reconstructionist
    Well, yes I do see that. But taking something away can be considered a punishment for some. For a persistant player it could be seen as cheating. Unfortunatly removing the quit button would make people stop playing altogether because most of them have jobs and can not waste a single minute waiting for a chance to save their game in order to exit it. The quit option is fast and effective. I play on my lunch hour occasionally and love the option to quit when I need to so I am not late for work. I can not wait to log out because in need to do it quickly and in one minute. Half of my lunch time is spent driving to my house and back to work, the other half is spent playing. I time it so I arrive at work at least 5 minutes early, I can not be late, and so I can not have the game hold me back.

Taking out the Quit option is out of the question, think of a better solution please.
    This is only a problem if your game day is more than an hour. The quit button will still be there, you just have to hide your character somewhere if you want to quit at night time and then you still have a risk of dying while you are out of the server. It is basically saying you have to survive the night and quitting won't give you infinite health. Once the AI is totally fixed then persistence can even go throughout the day like Rust. Night time is usually like less than 10 minutes, if you can't play through 10 minutes then a persistent character is the least of your worries about getting to work on time. It isn't about removing the quit button that would be stupid, I mean actually have the possibility of zombies killing you while your logged off waiting for it to become day time. I want night time to be more of the game not less. Right now people just don't play at night time. That is a bad direction for the game. It isn't because "that is what they want" it is because they don't want to die and they have a way of getting infinite health through the night. It is like having an infinite health button on the screen. I think you should still be able to quit but that your character would remain in game.
    Last edited by EnableScope; 07-02-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Ranger
    -1 Real Life exists and it's more important than any game. Don't give too much importance to the existence of a character in a game, so there's no point to punish an user when needs to quit in any situation. Also it makes no sense to leave the character in the world, because, well, I can imagine all those ghosts characters on my server, having to kick them personally on order to reduce the process load. That is, we are creating a new and bigger problem.
    Last edited by Magneto555; 07-02-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Magneto555 View Post
    -1 Real Life exists and it's more important than any game. Don't give too much importance to the existence of a character in a game, so there's no point to punish an user when needs to quit in any situation. Also it makes no sense to leave the character in the world, because, well, I can imagine all those ghosts characters on my server, having to kick them personally on order to reduce the process load. That is, we are creating a new and bigger problem.
    Don't worry you aren't allowed to play on my server nor will I ever play any game with you. It makes plenty of sense to leave a character in the world. Because you need to find shelter before you can log off. Otherwise I can just log off every time a zombie sees me and every time it turns night time. This isn't an issue in single player but it is an issue online. Obviously you like to cheat and that is your right to cheat in a server where I am not in. I am not saying persistent characters should be added to the game because you like to cheat, I am saying it would be an immersive feature.

Enablescope, You talk like everybody quits the game when its night or in a bad spot. I for one have never quit to avoid the night or get away from a hoard, and I am sure a lot of other people don't quit like that, some may but not everyone. Whenever I logoff I am always in my base and dropped of what ever extra gear I had. So when I log in I can hit the streets running. What you want them to do is almost as bad as what they are doing in beasts of pray right now. I spend hours building a base go to bed so I can get up for work, come home login to find my base completely gone. I stopped playing that game cause that's not fun. When I stop playing that's it I want my character and stuff to be the same when I come back as I left it. I don't want to log in to find my character dead and my gear gone. I don't know what your smoking but it sound's like some good stuff and you need to share some of that lol.

About the only thing I could get behind is a log off count down sequence, To stop those that grief players and insta-quit not allowing anyone to retaliate. If nothing is happening at the end of that time you can be pretty sure your safe to log.
    -OR-
    If they do implement persistent characters: When you log off It puts you into - guard mode - and makes you stealth and stationary, but will defend itself using any weapon it has at it's disposal (at least this way when I log off, I may die, But I know my character will hurt whatever attacked it).

I sometimes need to quickly log off in RL, but I could live with 30sec - 1min or a guard mode.

Colony Founder
    This is only a problem if your game day is more than an hour. The quit button will still be there, you just have to hide your character somewhere if you want to quit at night time and then you still have a risk of dying while you are out of the server. It is basically saying you have to survive the night and quitting won't give you infinite health. Once the AI is totally fixed then persistence can even go throughout the day like Rust. Night time is usually like less than 10 minutes, if you can't play through 10 minutes then a persistent character is the least of your worries about getting to work on time. It isn't about removing the quit button that would be stupid, I mean actually have the possibility of zombies killing you while your logged off waiting for it to become day time. I want night time to be more of the game not less. Right now people just don't play at night time. That is a bad direction for the game. It isn't because "that is what they want" it is because they don't want to die and they have a way of getting infinite health through the night. It is like having an infinite health button on the screen. I think you should still be able to quit but that your character would remain in game.
    I do play during the night, the zombies just walk past me they aren't a problem.

It isn't that bad to have your character progress while you are offline, their data is stored on the server, though I don't know about being attacked while offline. But there would need to be a reason to keep the character in real-time, like stats progression similar to EVE Online.
    Last edited by Shiek4d5; 07-02-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Colony Founder
    I do play during the night, the zombies just walk past me they aren't a problem.

It isn't that bad to have your character progress while you are offline, their data is stored on the server, though I don't know about being attacked while offline. But there would need to be a reason to keep the character in real-time, like stats progression similar to EVE Online.
    And if they do add stat progression in real time, then they can also add stat loss if you die. That should keep people wanting to stay alive.

Colony Founder
    And if they do add stat progression in real time, then they can also add stat loss if you die. That should keep people wanting to stay alive.
    They can add extra stat progress during night hours, but stat progress happens only when the player is on the server.

For instance +1 XP per game-hour during the light hours when zombies are slow, but +20 XP per game-hour during the dark hours when the zombies are fast. That'll encourage players to not log off at nightfall.

Time could be the only source of XP, or it could be one of several sources.

Ranger
    Don't worry you aren't allowed to play on my server nor will I ever play any game with you. It makes plenty of sense to leave a character in the world. Because you need to find shelter before you can log off. Otherwise I can just log off every time a zombie sees me and every time it turns night time. This isn't an issue in single player but it is an issue online. Obviously you like to cheat and that is your right to cheat in a server where I am not in. I am not saying persistent characters should be added to the game because you like to cheat, I am saying it would be an immersive feature.
    EnableScope, you shouldn't take the critic personally. I have explained why this idea seems like a bad idea, but I have not gotten to you. Moreover, you don't know me and you don't know if I'm a cheater or not. I'm not also one that disconnected for the night, night is not scaring for me, so I'm also playing at night. By the way, I don't mind at all if you don't want to play with me on any server (I won't cry for that), I just said to stay persistent connections is a bad idea and punish users for having to leave in the middle of the game to do something more important than playing for hours either. If you bother, it's your problem, not mine.
    Last edited by Magneto555; 07-03-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Refugee
    Just a few things:

1. Its just a game and something people play for fun. When a came stops being fun, even in failure, then people generally stop playing.
    2. Immersion, like many other things in life including many personal opinions or values, are relative and not absolute.
    3. Real life trumps a game, always, and often times might require one to log off ASAP regardless of whats currently going on. Punishing people for that is not a good way to grow a player base, especially considering the median gamer age is around 30 with all that entails.
    4. You continue to insist that anyone who disagrees with you about persistent avatars is a 'chicken', 'coward', and/or a 'cheater' regardless of why they do which shows this is less a two way discussion of idea's and more you attempting to prove everyone else wrong. There is a world of difference between even a passionate discussion, where each party admits to themselves that they could be wrong in part or whole, and a lecture where one or more insist they cannot be regardless of the situation or facts at hand. So if this is something you feel passionately about please reconsider your tone and approach for perhaps a better future response.

Ranger
    This entire post seems to be predicated on realism and no-one truly wants realism. We play games because reality is boring, besides it doesn't effect you if people quit at night and so why do you give a ♥♥♥♥

Hunter
    He cares because if characters become persistant in the world he can track down the offline players and kill them while they are helpless.