Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Would it be possible to create a 2K map? Like one big city?

  1. #1
    Hunter Wigbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    0

    Would it be possible to create a 2K map? Like one big city?

    Would people be interested in something like that?

  2. #2
    Inventor
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    948
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigbert View Post
    Would people be interested in something like that?
    Technically this should be possible but the radioactive zone would eat so much of the map that there would be hardly anything left to explore.

  3. #3
    Survivor Robbing Zombie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hellsinki
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0
    Megacity one! Speaking of maps, what's the current accurate navezgane map I can find on google? Haven't played nave in about 2 years until yesterday.

  4. #4
    Reconstructionist Khulkhuum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    568
    Rep Power
    1
    Current Nav is 6k if i remember clearly. It has been expanded a bit compared to the previous, so i guess from 4k to 6k.

  5. #5
    Reconstructionist Damocles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    700
    Rep Power
    1
    You can use NitroGen, and create a 4k map, and mask off the build-area to only populate the central 2K area.

    Or increase the radiation zone so yo only have a 2k map left.

    Or create an island map, with only 2k of area.

  6. #6
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    1
    NitroGen won't create a world less than 4K.

    The server will not create a 2K world, it errors out.

    So, no, you can't generate a 2K world.

    Sad - looks like 4K is a hard coded limit...

  7. #7
    Leader Tin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    5,715
    Rep Power
    1
    Very possible to make a 2k map.

    Find the Xui folder, then go into the windows.xml file. open it and search for 4096. It'll direct you to this line.
    <combobox depth="108" pos="155,0" width="300" height="32" name="WorldSize" type="ComboBoxList&lt;System.String&gt;" values="2048,4096,8192,16384" value_wrap="false" /> add in 2048.

    Load game, and now you can generate a 2k world and play it.
    you don't get much terrain features, and you'll need to adjust the rad zone size.
    edit: Can only answer for myself, but it is fun in it's own right.
    Last edited by Tin; 06-29-2019 at 07:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Ranger bigstep70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Building Worlds.
    Posts
    254
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Very possible to make a 2k map.

    Find the Xui folder, then go into the windows.xml file. open it and search for 4096. It'll direct you to this line.
    <combobox depth="108" pos="155,0" width="300" height="32" name="WorldSize" type="ComboBoxList&lt;System.String&gt;" values="2048,4096,8192,16384" value_wrap="false" /> add in 2048.

    Load game, and now you can generate a 2k world and play it.
    you don't get much terrain features, and you'll need to adjust the rad zone size.
    edit: Can only answer for myself, but it is fun in it's own right.
    I can vouch for that. Messing with RWG is what I love.
    In A16 i was able to create an "empty world" map that I built prefabs in.
    It was 1024x1024 block area of flat forest ground (or whatever I wanted) with no prefabs, trees, grass or terrain... nothing.
    I would just load that up for prefab building and not have to worry about frame lag due to spawning 'cause I'd written it all out of the xml's.
    Not sure about A17's capability to do this as I've yet to get back into prefab building, still messing with the world generator and NirtoGen at the moment.
    Last edited by bigstep70; 06-29-2019 at 08:46 PM.

  9. #9
    Reconstructionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Very possible to make a 2k map.

    Find the Xui folder, then go into the windows.xml file. open it and search for 4096. It'll direct you to this line.
    <combobox depth="108" pos="155,0" width="300" height="32" name="WorldSize" type="ComboBoxList&lt;System.String&gt;" values="2048,4096,8192,16384" value_wrap="false" /> add in 2048.

    Load game, and now you can generate a 2k world and play it.
    you don't get much terrain features, and you'll need to adjust the rad zone size.
    edit: Can only answer for myself, but it is fun in it's own right.
    This file did not have the described line. However, in the XUi_Menu directory was a file of the same name, and this had two lines like this. Setting the first line did nothing. Setting the second line worked! Disclaimer - this is a Linux system, maybe they do it differently under Linux?

    I modified the value like this:

    values="1024,2048,4096,8192,16384,20480"

    I then created a 1K world. And dang if it didn't work. I hit radiation at about 365 blocks out from 0,0. So I tried a 20K world. Sadly, it crashed. It seems the settings in the xml file are not the only things keeping us from making a 20K world.

    I then found the same file on one of my dedicated servers and made same change, but sadly it crashed on world generatoin. So I copied the 1K world to my dedicated server, and it worked. I now have a dedicated server running a 1K map .

    I repeated the above with a 2K world. Success.

    I'm still playing with 20K, but I'm pretty sure there is either a hard coded size limit, or a data structure limit, the end result being it won't generate/load a map bigger than 16K.

    Nice piece of research, Tin! TYVM for that, I had no idea you could do that.

  10. #10
    Leader Tin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    In between
    Posts
    5,715
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by zootal View Post
    This file did not have the described line. However, in the XUi_Menu directory was a file of the same name, and this had two lines like this. Setting the first line did nothing. Setting the second line worked! Disclaimer - this is a Linux system, maybe they do it differently under Linux?

    I modified the value like this:

    values="1024,2048,4096,8192,16384,20480"

    I then created a 1K world. And dang if it didn't work. I hit radiation at about 365 blocks out from 0,0. So I tried a 20K world. Sadly, it crashed. It seems the settings in the xml file are not the only things keeping us from making a 20K world.

    I then found the same file on one of my dedicated servers and made same change, but sadly it crashed on world generatoin. So I copied the 1K world to my dedicated server, and it worked. I now have a dedicated server running a 1K map .

    I repeated the above with a 2K world. Success.

    I'm still playing with 20K, but I'm pretty sure there is either a hard coded size limit, or a data structure limit, the end result being it won't generate/load a map bigger than 16K.

    Nice piece of research, Tin! TYVM for that, I had no idea you could do that.
    No problem yeah, they have anything past 16k locked out.

  11. #11
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0
    If it's well designed it could be awesome. Sounds small but potentially hundreds of hours to explore POIs. The big challenge would be optimisation.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    15,533
    Rep Power
    2
    1k Map with daily bloodmoon and daily supply drop could get close to Horde Mode... I wonder if supply drops would stay within the 1k radius zone or whether they would mostly all fall in the radiation zone...

  13. #13
    Ranger bigstep70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Building Worlds.
    Posts
    254
    Rep Power
    0
    I play mostly 4k single-player maps as I really haven't the time to dedicate to weeks upon weeks of play.
    They (4k maps) are fun and all but long term play is not really feasible for the style I play, 'cause eventually areas are going to run out of loot. (I play with loot re-spawns off and no air drops).
    I, can imagine that a 1 or 2K map would be brutal in actual terms of game-play.
    Zombie spawns would be in your face, due to the limited amount of terrain they are aloud to spawn on, and if not, all they would have to do is wander a little ways and BANG their knocking on your door (or skull). Plus with the zombies visual, auditory and olfactory (even if slightly flawed) senses factored in you'd be like a disco ball in a dark field to them. Bling, bling, bling... look at me , I taste yummy, come have a bite.
    Then the fact that, with that limited terrain, only so many prefabs would spawn lowering the chance of looting as an optimal resource for tools, weapons, food and water in the early game.

    All in all, my take on small maps is that they are fun for certain styles of play but I can see that they would not appeal to everyone. That being said I think everyone should at least try out a small map once in a while.

    Cheers

  14. #14
    Tracker Weazelsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    0
    If it were implemented, it would be interesting to see how player(s) would survive in a 2K world.

  15. #15
    Inventor
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    948
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazelsun View Post
    If it were implemented, it would be interesting to see how player(s) would survive in a 2K world.
    I suppose the players would concentrate more on creating a self-sufficiency as early as possible because on such a small map the loot is limited. You cannot rely on finding enough food or having animals to hunt over a long period of time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •