Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnamod

GNAMOD

So what is Gnamod?
    Over the years Gnamod has grown from one mod into a series of mods and modes that generally offer a challenging gameplay to people or highlight a certain type of gameplay. For A17 and beyond the aim is to bring back most if not all of the modes that existed before. This includes Core, Survival, Horde Mode, Last Stand, Necropolis and Nomad Mode. The mod is mostly xml driven but since A17 added support for easily importing external Unity assets those are being used as well. Gnamod also comes with it's own UI from now, which was released also as stand alone (Gnamod UI).

Gnamod Core is currently released both as download here (see below) and it is available on Sphereii's Mod Launcher. All the modes will also appear on both places once they are in a playable enough state. This mod is still very much in ongoing development but reached a stage where it can be played well enough for a release.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Want more Gnamod, find other players or know what is cooking: Join the Discord Channel!

Installation:
    The download contains a zip file that makes installation as easy as possible. All you need to do is extract the contents to the main folder of the installation of 7 days to die you want the mod to apply to. After doing so it should have a Mods folder in the main directory. In this folder should be a folder Called Gnamod Core and Gnamod UI (comes with it by default as the mod will depend on it). If you downloaded any of the modes like Horde Mode that should also be added there. The order of them appearing should always be Core and then Core UI and then the modlets. Any modlets you want to add should always load after Gnamod to get the best chance it will work, but that is not recommended.

Special Thanks:
    - The Fun Pimps for making this awesome game and allowing and facilitating us modders to fiddle around with it and change it up.
    - Guppycur's Modding community for helping me with questions and distracting me when I should have been modding.
    - Mumpfy for allowing me to include his work on zombie skins into the mod and for supplying me with an awesome font and logo idea to use for the main menu.
    - DUST2DEATH for helping me and teaching me tricks he learned from manu_x32 to make extracted assets look like they should.
    - Like A Boss (Twitch Streamer) for spreading the world while still in development and helping out by building POIs and allowing me to use some of his icons on zombies.
    - Ragsy for sparring with me on modding and helping out with testing the UI on a higher resolution screen.
    - Loyal Gnamod fans that kept asking if a new A17 version was still coming.
    - Max Fox Gaming and Madam Wolfie for promoting my work and being supportive.
    - Many others that have been helping or giving out ideas.

License and Use:
    - This mod is free to play by whoever owns 7 Days to Die. This also means running it on a private or rented server or hosting a game for friends.
    - Assets found in the Gnamod.unity3d contain the work of The Fun Pimps, Mumpfy, used unity packages and myself, therefore it is NOT allowed to re-use this in any way without permission from me and/or the original author of the content.
    - You are free to modify the contents of the mod to your own needs, like adjusting spawn chances or other stats. If you host a server with altered contents please let people know you are running a non-standard version of the mod.
    - You are free to use idea's from this mod in your own locally used mods or on hosted games for friends. When using ideas from this mod for your own mod you want to release to the public please ask my permission to do so if the idea is clearly unique to this mod. This is usually no issue as long as you give credit for it and thus also help promote my work.
    - You are NOT allowed to take the code from this mod to add to another mod in any way without asking my explicit permission for it. Using similar code is fine like in the previous bullet, but taking the complete code or parts of the code and adding them to your mod is not. There is no exception to this, if I do not give you permission you will have to write your own code. Gnamod is intended to be used as is and not be added to other mods. If some other mod would really fit well with this I will probably add it or a similar feature at some stage of development.
    - The Fun Pimps are ultimatly the true owners of this mod as it only works with their game and is only possible because they support the modding community of their game.

- Support
    Gnamod is tested and supported for Windows (Windows 10). I have no access to other platforms to test on so they remain unsupported for now. I will accept any help out by testing on these platforms and debugging issues that pop up. There is a bug in A17 that prevents the proper working of custom assets on macOS and Unix based systems making the mod unplayable on these platforms. A workaround exists, but requires paths to be altered. The issue is known and fixed in A18.

Video
    - Horde Mode Installation from the Mod Launcher by Vedui
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 09-28-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Add support section.

GNAMOD CORE

====== Overview ======
    This is the core of the mod and all other versions except the UI (UI is being offered stand-alone as well) depend on this. Gnamod Core focuses on the vanilla or classic gameplay where you spawn with nothing, scavenge in the world for what you need and build a base to keep you alive from ever increasing hordes. The focus however is on making it more challenging. The goal here is that is becomes harder but remains fair, as long as the mod is still in development (version 0.x.x) the balance of certain systems can still be off because stuff is being added while vanilla systems may not have been changed to fit along with the new systems.

====== Zombie & Animal Overhaul ======
    A lot of effort has been put into making zombies be challenging and interesting. Vanilla offers only a small set of zombies with predictable behavior, health and appearance. Gnamod offers a far broader set of zombies based upon the vanilla zombies. They have new skins, including retints done by myself and the talented Mumpfy (forum post). Behind that is a big chunk of xml code that allows zombies to have random stats such as HP, Speed and Damage as well as varied sizes. Their AI tasks have also been changed so that they behave a bit more unpredictable and chase animals among others.

Custom Skinned 'Boss' Zombie for the streamer Like a Boss

Zombies are based on 4 distinct groups, World, Horde, Sleeper and Bloodmoon, with their power level in that order. In addition each of these has a type, such as Grunt, Climber, Crawler, Feral etc. This mostly determines their additional behavior but also modifies their base stats. Crawlers are weaker but have powerful hits while Climbers walk on all 4s and are a bit faster. Lasty the zombies have a Kind or Model, based on the vanilla zombie they use and have a name. This can also grant them some more stats and behavior (such as the strong biker Dave getting more HP and damage but also giving more xp, the Crispy burning zombie being able to set things on fire etc). Combined these make up a lot of combinations that you can come across (over 85 pages on the spawn menu).

Animals have also been redone, though still in a simpler form than Zombies. These also have their basic stats randomized and their behavior is based on their parent class, certain animals will be aggressive when engaged, but flee when not while others will actively hunt you or zombies if they see them.

In addition the way spawning works was redone from the ground up, World zombies mainly spawn in the world and in wandering hordes, Horde Zombies appear in wandering hordes, at night and as filler for Bloodmoons. The Sleeper zombies populate the POIs in the world and Bloodmoon zombies are the badass zombies in certain waves of the Bloodmoon horde.

====== Archery Overhaul ======
    Archery has been completely redone and the base xml work is finished and ready. The wooden bow and crossbow are now craftable as early game weapons with roughly similar strength. Bows take stamina to draw and hold, crossbows take stamina to reload. Both slow you down a bit when reloading and most of these penalties can be reduced by taking the Archery perk. Bolts and arrows exist from Stone, Bone, Scrap, Iron, Steel, Stainless and Titanium. The components for making these arrows can be found and or crafted and include wood or fiber shafts, arrowheads of each type, feathers and plastic fletches. A set of special arrows/bolts is also planned and currently only available as prototype: Petrolbomb, Explosive, Concussive, Corrosive and Shocking. A more complete overhaul is planned for the next version including permanent upgrades to the basic bows so that they can become stronger as you add in better parts which require materials not available on the very first spawn.

====== Biome Overhaul ======
    For Gnamod to be really that again for A17 biomes need to be redone. This is still an ongoing process and since A17 allows for custom biomes to be added, that is what is being worked on. Currently 3 all new biomes have been added. For the biomes new assets have been added such as trees, rocks and plants. A lot more is planned for this feature for the next versions of the mods to fully flesh out a number of biomes that together can form a nice and mostly seamless worlds.

Dense Conifer (Forest)

Fields (Grasslands)

Rocky Plains (Grasslands)
    <Placeholder>
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Replace Placeholder with features page.

GNAMOD CORE

====== Planned Features ======
    Here I will add features I plan to add to the mod and the order of importance, possibly with a description and expected ease to implement. Feature request done could also be added here.

- Weapon Parts
    I am planning on bringing back Weapon Parts as it worked before in A16 while maintaining the modification system of A17. I figured out a way to make the systems work together and made a first prototype:

My plan is to bring this back for all vanilla weapons and bring back some weapons Gnamod had in A16 (Short Barrel, Double Barrel and Deagle). The new system allows some more flexibility than the old, making it easier to combine parts of different grades in the same gun. The magazine (kind of bullets the gun shoots) are still determined by the base item, but it means that if I made a base 9mm, 22mm and 10mm pistol base all of these could use the same parts in any combination I set (like Receiver, Barrel, Components, Grip). Suggestions from gun-nuts are welcome to come up with even more logical separation of parts for various firearms of course.

- Block Shape Overhaul
    This feature is already mostly done but held back by lack of Icons mainly. I can generate an entire set of shapes for a particular material in xml already that includes varied health, strength and needed material. Blocks would go from frame (1st) --> block (2nd) -upgrade or dry-> full (3rd) -breaking tool-> pickable pile (broken). But rumors on a shape menu being worked on and Icons changing for A18 this feature was put on hold in favor of others. A complete set of these for flagstone exists in Core and works (but no icons).
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Change post to planned features.

GNAMOD HORDE MODE

====== Overview ======
    Gnamod Horde Mode is the full on Arcade version of Gnamod where it all resolves around tower defense. In this mode you will spawn near a machine called 'Beacon' that is your only route of escape, or so your poor character thinks. It sends out smoke signals and acts as a radio beacon for airplanes to drop supplies. It also attracts zombies, they just cannot resist punching it. Sadly for you the machine has an unstable nuclear core and to much zombie punches will make it explode and likely take you and your base with it.

The beacon comes with supply caches where you can exchange currency into supplies and equipment. The secret stash contains supplies that are changed daily. Increase your skill in bartering and intelligence to access the better stock and better prices.

Be aware for the first horde that arrives around 2 PM (12 AM on servers). Surround your Beacon with walls, traps and mines and make sure to equip yourself with the best your money can buy. Zombies will drop bags that contain more currency, so keep killing for more supplies.

Horde Mode currently comes with two maps that contain the Beacon, then the stable 0.4.1 version will release it will include a community made map by Like A Boss that will become Boss Mode in a future version.

====== Features ======
    - Arcade Mode with Beacon to defend.
    - Buy supplies from vendors in the Beacon. Store your stuff in the drawers of the Beacon.
    - Zombies drop money instead of loot.
    - Zombies can see further out and through walls, you cannot hide from the zombies.
    - Progressively harder for each day passed as well as gamestaged.

====== Notes & Tips ======
    - The supplies of the vendors are found in the Secret Stash tab (not able to change this atm). Progress the Secret Stash with int and Better Barter.
    - Horde Mode is resource intensive despite my best efforts (1k Map, lower res zombie textures, faster decay). If you run into perfomance issues you may want to consider reducing settings even if the vanilla game runs fine.
    - The command ' gfx pp enable 0 ' will turn off all post processing and can help reduce the load. The mem or memcl (for clients) can free up some memory by calling the garbage collector.
    - You can set Bloodmoon hordes to daily for a different kind of experience.
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Change to Horde Mode

GNAMOD MODLETS

====== Overview ======
    The xpath way of doing Modlets will also be coming to Gnamod, actually a lot is already applied with it. But this also means that there will be coming Gnamod specific modlets to tweak the mod even further in the same way previous versions had altered spawns or altered world size versions.

A number of modes like Romero and Last Stand will likely also be coming as modlets that can be applied on top of the existing mod. Perhaps other people will also develop modlets that work well with Gnamod or designed for it, those could be added here as well.
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 07:05 PM.

GNAMOD SURVIVAL

====== Overview ======
    Gnamod Survival will be more true to the survival type of gameplay that was before part of Gnamod and Necropolis. This means that loot will be more scarce, gameplay is more focused on survival and less on the base defense part of the game. Construction in this mode will be more limited and getting a steady supply of food and water will be harder. In a sense this mode will focusing more in realism than on arcade like some of the other modes.

This mod is currently planned to be added, but is dependent on features to be implemented in Gnamod Core first:
    - Loot overhaul Gnamod Style.
    - Item overhaul.
    - Block overhaul.
    - Recipe overhaul.
    - Biome overhaul.
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.

GNAMOD NECROPOLIS

====== Overview ======
    Gnamod Necropolis will come back to the game but is very dependent on a lot of system that will be implemented in Core and Survival to work as well as POI work. I have great plans for this to come back and will be using a system of world generation I am developing myself. For this a lot of POIs need to be build that requires a community effort.

This here is also a call to those interested in joining and helping to build POIs for Gnamod and Necropolis.

The following screenshots are of a prototype city that I have been working on, which comes included in the 0.4.1 version of Gnamod Core.

Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-02-2019 at 06:47 PM.

GNAMOD NOMAD MODE

====== Overview ======
    Since the world generation changed drastically and the world sizes have been limited this mode is likely not to return before A18 is out. I really liked this mode but the small worlds and not working GoTo quest objectives have put off development on it for now.

Refugee
    Amazing work! I really enjoyed the horde mode on alpha 16 so I look forward to giving it a go again. Thanks very much for your hard work!

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Bout time, slacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Bout time, slacker.
    Thanks for the support :P

-----------------------------------------------------------

Gnamod 0.4.2 is out and stable for all versions (updated download and Mod Launcher).
    ====================Version 0.4.2====================
    Version 0.4.2 aims to align all versions into stable so that development can continue. Mostly has balance work and bug fixes.

Base Mod
    - Changed beacon blocks for horde mode 0.4.2 to have a slower heat buildup, new textures and include a new vendor for future versions to replace the drawer. This vendor will sell supplies and where the supplies vendor was will sell weapons/ammo.
    - Changed the Horde Mode biome to use the new conifer trees and biome with some tweaks for increased performance.
    - Reworked existing POIs and added a new Boss Mode POI created by Like a Boss.

Horde Mode
    - Added a new map with the Boss Mode POI in it. In the future this will be used for Boss Mode and possibly Last Stand.
    - Changed the Horde Mode biome spawns to only use Horde Zombie lists, so it will spawn Horde and Bloodmoon zombies as the first wave each day.
    - Rebalanced the screamer spawns as it was spawning 10x as much as it should. Likely that it now is to easy but should be a better baseline for future versions.

UI
    - Changed the Power/Solar/Generator Bank window to be in line with the rest. Added space for potential future slots (currently no more possible without dupe bugs appearing).
    - Changed Ranged Traps window to be in line with the rest. Added space for potential future slots (currently no more possible without dupe bugs appearing).
    - Changed the Trigger/Camera window to be in line with the rest. Increased size of the camara preview and text size of it.
    - Changed the Tip and Offer windows to be in line with the rest. These now have a header similar to the rest and bigger buttons.
    - Changed the size of the Radial menu items. More size for the icons and the text is now below and has a bigger font and more space to show. Makes the radial menu easier to operate.

New Horde Mode Map (Boss Mode Hills)
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-09-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Survivor
    The Horde mode is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidrgna View Post
    Gnamod 0.4.2 is out and stable for all versions (updated download and Mod Launcher).
    I wanted to start the mod on our event server, but the map wont load correctly like in singleplayer.
    Any special things for the serverconfig?

Quote Originally Posted by Poutre View Post
    The Horde mode is amazing.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markezzz View Post
    I wanted to start the mod on our event server, but the map wont load correctly like in singleplayer.
    Any special things for the serverconfig?
    I have not tested myself to load it onto a server, but it should load it like any other generated map (so instead of putting in RWG you reference the name of the map, the folder name in this case). I will check it out tomorrow on my own server to see if there are any issues with them.

Code:
    <property name="GameWorld" value="Navezgane"/> <!-- RWG (see WorldGenSeed and WorldGenSize options below) or any already existing world name in the Worlds folder (currently shipping with Navezgane) -->
    Last edited by Haidrgna; 07-21-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Refugee
    Been trying this out and really like the core version so far, love the changes to crafting etc... Just wondered, I am getting a lot of close range pop in for rocks and other small items, like maybe 5 feet away and moving back and forth makes the rock disappear and reappear.. Is there anything I can do to fix this? View distance is maxed as is LOD.