Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    You expect quality reviews from steam? The only somewhat reliable thing you get out of 95% of all steam reviews is a thumbs up or down. And even though the new "reviewers" are just doing it for the steam points they can be expected to mostly pick the right thumb (except for those that haven't even played the game or don't understand that a thumbs up is not required to get a point)
    And this is someone who has absolutely no idea how any of this works.
    Reviews are reliable. Gaming sites are paid. Individual experiences and interests vary.
    the only way to get a feel of the quality of a game are nonbiased reviews. That doesn't mean you will/wont enjoy it, obviously.
    But it is the best way to quickly get to know the concept, and the flaws of the game, without watching 3hours of lets plays.

And WHO IN THE WORLD thinks that ppl go around leaving negative reviews for games they didn't dislike?
    Are you that kind of person?
    Because ALL my games have shot up (gradually declining obviously the higher the reviews are already from 70-85; 80-90; 90-95;95-97

Thank you for making me check. So my argument was assuming that new players liked it. And EVEN THAT was wrong xD
    Its just that the steamevent boosted EVERY game by 5-20% in ratings xD
    I love that I was actually giving 7d2d too much credit and still get hate for it
    Its almost as if certain people dislike beeing told that something they like is not the best it could be.

Again: 7d2d is a great game.
    A17 is a step back from A16 when looking at gamedesign (less varied gameplay, less meaningfull choices, less immersion)
    A17 is a step back from A16 when looking at the overall opinion of players (reviews beeing in the 50% bracket isnt good.)

THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT MORE THAT A16.
    There are people that like to eat meat raw. There are people that like Atlas. And that is okay.
    That doesnt make criticism invalid.
    How hard is that to grasp.

And just if you think I'm just hating:
    I actually enjoy A17 with rolmod. Because it fixes the most annoying gamedesign mistakes.
    So yeah. There you go. I can talk negatively about a game I enjoy if I see its flaws. What a shocker.

Tracker
    You expect quality reviews from steam? The only somewhat reliable thing you get out of 95% of all steam reviews is a thumbs up or down. And even though the new "reviewers" are just doing it for the steam points they can be expected to mostly pick the right thumb (except for those that haven't even played the game or don't understand that a thumbs up is not required to get a point)
    Try my steam review. I state how many thousands of hours I have played, I stated things I like, things I dislike, and it is as reliable an iteration of my opinion as, well, it's my opinion, so it is the only reliable iteration of my opinion.

What I like about reading reviews, especially from steam, is you can learn things. Such as TFP incentivizes people to leave reviews. You get rewarded for it. So you see people with less than one hundred hours saying it's great. Then everyone with 2000+ hours stating what they dislike about things. You can also see that, prior to a17, the reviews would bounce back. New alpha drops, ton of bugs, bad reviews. Alpha gets cleaned up, reviews get better, rinse and repeat.
    The difference is that with 17 things haven't recovered.
    By the way, could you give your source data for ninety five percent of all steam reviews is a thumbs up or down?

Quote Originally Posted by art1336 View Post

What I like about reading reviews, especially from steam, is you can learn things. Such as TFP incentivizes people to leave reviews. You get rewarded for it.
    It’s Valve incentivizing reviews. TFP has no review incentive program.

By the way, could you give your source data for ninety five percent of all steam reviews is a thumbs up or down?
    IKR...My source tells me it’s 100%

(You misrepresented what he said)
    Last edited by Roland; 07-05-2019 at 05:53 PM.

ratings1.jpg
    and basicially none of those had a recent update.
    I hope that is enough. Especially the last one. Even bad games get the thumbs up because why not?

since this forum made it impossible to read here the better version:
    https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-6a...50299.png.html
    Last edited by Viktoriusiii; 07-05-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriusiii View Post
    <lots>
    What has your tirade to do with what I posted?

Try my steam review. I state how many thousands of hours I have played, I stated things I like, things I dislike, and it is as reliable an iteration of my opinion as, well, it's my opinion, so it is the only reliable iteration of my opinion.
    Without reading your review I firmly believe it is in the 5% bracket, even if I might be of a different opinion about a lot of your points there.

My point was that the majority of steam reviews is not what you would call a quality review (i.e. a dissection of good and bad points of the game from which you could interfere whether you would rate the game good or bad as well). Many reviews are single sentences of the type "Boring game", "Didn't like it", "Great game", "Couldn't stop playing"...., which, if you look closely, is just embellishment for a thumbs down or thumbs up. (Luckily steam has users vote for helpful reviews, so you tend to see the few better reviews often on the first page).

So while I don't expect quality reviews to come out of the grand prix, there were mostly no quality reviews before, just thumbs (again, with the exception of a few who expend some effort to really make a review)
    Last edited by meganoth; 07-05-2019 at 11:59 PM.

What has your tirade to do with what I posted?

My point was that the majority of steam reviews is not what you would call a quality review (i.e. a dissection of good and bad points of the game from which you could interfere whether you would rate the game good or bad as well). Many reviews are single sentences of the type "Boring game", "Didn't like it", "Great game", "Couldn't stop playing"...., which, if you look closely, is just embellishment for a thumbs down or thumbs up. (Luckily steam has users vote for helpful reviews, so you tend to see the few better reviews often on the first page).
    Do you not automaticially sort by "most helpfull"?
    Because those are generally not just one sentence reviews.
    That is what I meant. Reviews on steam are often very helpfull and the overall rating gives you an overview of opinions that you can not gather by watching letsplayers (mostly fans of the game) or reviewers (often paid/given the game/still one person)

That was my point.

Tracker
    Incentivized reviews help no one and steam is a terrible place to look for an honest review. A few minutes online can get you all the balanced reviews you need wthout all the fanboy/hate filled garbage.
    The game is not great atm (my opinion) and is almost like a shooter on rails, go into a poi you know where the mobs are , where that ceilings gonna collapse which cupboard yadda yadda yadda. Outside is bleak and lonely without any real incentive to exploration and even 16k maps are small when you have the motorbike. Give us back our random hordes that show up at exactly the wrong time, populate maps and put the agoraphobic zombies to rest or at least randomize where they will be in a poi!

Refugee

7 Days to Die Reviews

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the reviews all of a sudden? Looking back 2 months ago, the reviews were mixed, and then I come back shortly and somehow they've became very positive. Is there anything that was added in the last two months that made the game that much better?

Last edited by Roland; 07-10-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by CHangWOlf View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what happened to the reviews all of a sudden? Looking back 2 months ago, the reviews were mixed, and then I come back shortly and somehow they've became very positive. Is there anything that was added in the last two months that made the game that much better?
    Maybe more people are just moving from the console version (such as myself. Even though I only meet the Minimum requirements, I am liking pc much more just because of all they added in comparison) And since more people who liked the game are getting it again for PC and putting their positive review on steam, which would move it from "mixed" to "positive"

Quote Originally Posted by artistichippie View Post
    Maybe more people are just moving from the console version (such as myself. Even though I only meet the Minimum requirements, I am liking pc much more just because of all they added in comparison) And since more people who liked the game are getting it again for PC and putting their positive review on steam, which would move it from "mixed" to "positive"
    It was a steam event as someone mentioned.. there is no question about it because the event is over and like magic the reviews are too. Hopefully this will happen though. What is it now, like less than $10?

During the sale it was but it is back to $25 now.

Welp, too late. I suppose it might be good for those console players to pick it up now anyway. With how much value it is gaining with improvements these days, it may not be that cheap again for a long time. It's still less than a night at the movies the way I see it.

Alpha 17 devided the community greatly. So you can turn the rocks all you like roland, but saying this was a good Alpha is simply not true. Every Alpha I played had stuff I liked and disliked. But I never felt a version was completly unplayable. You adjusted with time and sometimes even realized that some changes wheren´t that bad as you thought they would be. But this version is unplayable too me and others. This game more and more turns into a bad fallout clone. And thats what nether I nor other people want. We wan´t 7dtd to be unique like it was before.

Up til now MM doesn´t understand what damage he did to his own community with A17. And therefore I have doubts that Alpha 18 will be any better. Of course, I will give it a shot, once it gets released. But if the new version turn out to be as bad als A17 he will loose even more loyal players.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellsents View Post
    Alpha 17 devided the community greatly. So you can turn the rocks all you like roland, but saying this was a good Alpha is simply not true. Every Alpha I played had stuff I liked and disliked. But I never felt a version was completly unplayable. You adjusted with time and sometimes even realized that some changes wheren´t that bad as you thought they would be. But this version is unplayable too me and others. This game more and more turns into a bad fallout clone. And thats what nether I nor other people want. We wan´t 7dtd to be unique like it was before.

Up til now MM doesn´t understand what damage he did to his own community with A17. And therefore I have doubts that Alpha 18 will be any better. Of course, I will give it a shot, once it gets released. But if the new version turn out to be as bad als A17 he will loose even more loyal players.
    I mostly agree. For me it's not UNplayable, but it is boring and tedious. I usually play 2hr days. In A16 I would be well on my way to day 14 in a week. I just tried to play again. Two weeks ago I started a new map and have just finished day 7 horde (loved what it was, trying, and failing, to like what it has become). I really just lose interest and turn it off to watch TV.