Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer shut off while playing, game reset to start upon return

computer shut off while playing, game reset to start upon return

You know how I love restarting a game.
    Was wondering if there ever was a solution for this.

Other nice ideas.
    Automatically saving a backup upon start of the game would be a nice feature.
    Along with having the game start up as paused so the clock does not start ticking until you are ready to play.

You know what would be even better? Not having a computer that crashes whenever you stress it out like playing a game, so let's figure out a way to prevent that instead of finding ways to work around the problem.

- Is your computer overheating? If you're using a pre-built system or built a system but still used the junk coolers that come with the CPU, then odds are, you're overheating at least to some degree.
    - Have you done a free "memtest86" test recently to make sure your ram is stable and working as it should?
    - Have you been overclocking at all? Maybe dial it back a bit if you have.
    - Are you playing on HDD or SSD? If HDD, maybe do a scan to make sure there's no hard drive corruption happening causing OS instability.

Besides, creating a backup copy of save files would create a lot of game lag, especially if playing on HDD. Also, pausing the game isn't an option since the game is built around multiplayer in mind.
    Last edited by Fox; 07-07-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    The Sticky FAQ thread has a possible method for restoring a save that gets corrupted in this fashion.

I'm going to assume the issue is that the power went out. If that's not the issue, then you really need to solve the sudden shutdown problem first.

No... my problem definitely is I need more RAM. I am upgrading to 16GB as of tomorrow.
    I am well familiar with the limitations of this computer I have built from scratch.

As for game pausing and backup saves, I was just thinking out loud .. in text... uh yeah... anyway....

Thanks for the tips. Overheating as you know is probably the number one cause of computers shutting off, blue screen and freezing. People should blow the dust out of their PCs every month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    The Sticky FAQ thread has a possible method for restoring a save that gets corrupted in this fashion.

I'm going to assume the issue is that the power went out. If that's not the issue, then you really need to solve the sudden shutdown problem first.
    Did I not read the FAQ in it's entirety? Oops.

Thanks I will read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wigbert View Post
    No... my problem definitely is I need more RAM.
    While that may be one of your problems, a lack of ram won't cause a computer shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzybub View Post
    While that may be one of your problems, a lack of ram won't cause a computer shutdown.
    Let me back up a bit. I was asking about recovering saves. Not why the computer shut off. I know why it shut off. Computer went to a gray screen. Could not get video to work again. Had to push the button for a shutdown without a monitor. Probably need to blow the dust out of the video card again.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. No need to panic. In 7 days to die Starting over is still great fun. and it keeps getting better with every update in my opinion.

Ya, that definitely sounds like a hardware issue, not a ram limitation issue.

Sounds like GPU driver crashed and did not recover.

Quote Originally Posted by DUST2DEATH View Post
    Sounds like GPU driver crashed and did not recover.
    The other common issue is a failing PSU. This game stresses your system like no other, and commonly finds the weak spots in hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    The other common issue is a failing PSU. This game stresses your system like no other, and commonly finds the weak spots in hardware.
    Entirely possible. I would expect it to have rebooted itself in that instance, not present a grey screen that had to be hard reboot.

Entirely possible. I would expect it to have rebooted itself in that instance, not present a grey screen that had to be hard reboot.
    I've seen it do both. I've also seen hardware smoke and pop because of PSU issues. PSU issues can cause all kinds of results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I've seen it do both. I've also seen hardware smoke and pop because of PSU issues. PSU issues can cause all kinds of results.
    Cant say Ive seen a seasonic do that. I'll take your word for it though

Cant say Ive seen a seasonic do that. I'll take your word for it though
    I don't know about a Seasonic, I don't see those too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I don't know about a Seasonic, I don't see those too often.
    The only PSU brand worth buying, everything else is trash.

The only PSU brand worth buying, everything else is trash.
    I wouldn't go that far, and you'll pay almost double for one. The award for best overall tends to be Corsair, which only has a slightly shorter warranty, and is almost half the price for nearly the same quality. With Seaonic, you're paying for the flashy features. Though they are nice, they don't make it operate significantly better.