Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice for first base

Quote Originally Posted by Heafus View Post
    I use frames to get in and out.
    you can instead just build a ladder-entrance while the ladder starts on 3 blocks height. zombies dont use such a ladder but you can simply "jump" onto it. at least up until now i have never seen a zombie manage to climb it.

Reconstructionist A Nice Cup of Tea's Avatar
    One simple but very valuable hint...

If you're putting rings of spikes around your base, alternating them with rings of blocks makes them much more effective. The blocks are unlikely to be damaged, so they only need to be wood.

The reason for this is that zombies don't just blindly wander into spikes - they consider a set of spikes to be an obstacle just like any other.

So with multiple rings of spikes surrounding your base, the first few zombies will jump on top of the spikes to get to you, killing themselves but also destroying the spikes. The problem is now that there are some spikes destroyed there is a gap - and zombies will now prefer to go through that gap than to jump on top of other spikes.

So the end result is that the first few zombies destroy spikes getting to you and forge a path through the rings of spikes. Then later zombies just follow that narrow path and the rest of the spikes are now irrelevant.

If you alternate between rings of spikes and rings of blocks, the opposite happens. Once a spike is destroyed the zombies will still have to jump up onto the blocks, so there's no incentive for them to follow the same path. Instead they'll continue to jump onto other spikes and blocks indiscriminately; and this means that far more spikes get jumped on and far more zombies get killed by them.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by A Nice Cup of Tea View Post
    One simple but very valuable hint...

If you're putting rings of spikes around your base, alternating them with rings of blocks makes them much more effective. The blocks are unlikely to be damaged, so they only need to be wood.

The reason for this is that zombies don't just blindly wander into spikes - they consider a set of spikes to be an obstacle just like any other.

So with multiple rings of spikes surrounding your base, the first few zombies will jump on top of the spikes to get to you, killing themselves but also destroying the spikes. The problem is now that there are some spikes destroyed there is a gap - and zombies will now prefer to go through that gap than to jump on top of other spikes.

So the end result is that the first few zombies destroy spikes getting to you and forge a path through the rings of spikes. Then later zombies just follow that narrow path and the rest of the spikes are now irrelevant.

If you alternate between rings of spikes and rings of blocks, the opposite happens. Once a spike is destroyed the zombies will still have to jump up onto the blocks, so there's no incentive for them to follow the same path. Instead they'll continue to jump onto other spikes and blocks indiscriminately; and this means that far more spikes get jumped on and far more zombies get killed by them.
    Intersting idea!

The only reason I use a base in this game is for storage mostly. If players I use defensible building to prevent players from raiding it but since Alpha 17 I have had little intention to build again within this game with the current form of the game where they crippled land claim blocks.

I just can't build creatively like this, you're forced to build pretty much only 1 way. Tower (And I hate building tower bases! )

A shallow tower base and your only expansion is to go from Bedrock to Skyblock, right now everyone builds these tiny elevated bases that exploit the zombie AI with the gaps to "Loop maze" them.

If it wasn't for the fact that SI has some serious problems with it, and lack of player understanding how SI works, and how to compensate for the bugs (Till you build a huge tower base, and the entire thing collapses for whatever reason)

Is that really what TFP wanted?

You really don't even need a base, you can run around in streets and kill an entire horde just fine even with only a bow and arrow and some water and beer.
    Last edited by OnlyMeiya; 07-13-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMeiya View Post
    I just can't build creatively like this, you're forced to build pretty much only 1 way. Tower (And I hate building tower bases! )
    I don't know what problem you have. In A17 I already built three ground level melee cage bases of different designs and an underground base for mostly ranged combat