Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release Date of A18?

Quote Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
    I have to admit I would like to know at least a reasonably accurate approximation too. I put a server online in anticipation of a18 (cause we all stopped playing / hated a17), but then the release was changed from the original estimate. It does cost me $30 a month to keep the damn thing running and I'm not even playing on it myself because I can't stand a17.

This is one of the less talked about problems of posting release dates that aren't adhered to. It cost the server owners real money to keep the damn things running. If I had known that your release date wasn't going to be in June as promised I would have turned the server off for 2 months and used the money for something else. Instead now we are in the "indeterminate" release time phase again and I don't know if I should turn it off or not. If I do it may come out next week, if I don't it may come out in 3 months. Please take us into consideration when making these types of arbitrary promises in the future. You may make a lot of money from this but the server owners do not.

We do contribute to your sales and popularity by maintaining well run servers. All we ask in return is that you pick a release date and stick to it. It's better to say "sometime in 2019" than to say "by the end of the month". So tell me please, do I turn the damn thing back off again now or is it worth leaving it running because we are very close? Can you at least tell us that much? My servers population won't be happy but they will understand if I turn it off because of a lack of release time info. I would prefer not to disappoint the 40+ people I cater to though, so help me out here.

Cheers.
    Sometime in 2019.

Please turn the damn thing off and then turn it back on again after experimental is done and it goes to stable so you don't have to annoy people with frequent wipes. Plus you can try out A18 during experimental to see whether you like it well enough to turn the damn thing back on again before A19.

No estimated release date has ever been a promise. The only promise ever given in regards to release dates is that it will be done when it's done. TFP is an indie studio precisely because their independence from executives and board members means they don't have to stick to a release date even if they aren't ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Sometime in 2019.

Please turn the damn thing off and then turn it back on again after experimental is done and it goes to stable so you don't have to annoy people with frequent wipes. Plus you can try out A18 during experimental to see whether you like it well enough to turn the damn thing back on again before A19.

No estimated release date has ever been a promise. The only promise ever given in regards to release dates is that it will be done when it's done. TFP is an indie studio precisely because their independence from executives and board members means they don't have to stick to a release date even if they aren't ready.

I think it refers to the post at the beginning where it said the end of June and then that was modified, I also told my community possibly late June (when I said so in the post) well now we are almost in the middle of July and I have hopes, in the transmission of Prime, the game was acceptable for an experimental, that reassured me a lot

It's looking more and more unlikely for this month but very likely for next month but please realize that they will push it back all the way to Christmas if they feel they need to do so. You cannot rely on release estimates or think of them as promises no matter how much it may sound like a promise.

Hunter
    People can forgive a delayed release. People will not forgive a bad release.

Tracker
    This alpha sounds like it will be epic so any delay is acceptable. They are working on polish so a repeat of A17.0 doesn’t happen. You all remember 17.0??

I have to admit I would like to know at least a reasonably accurate approximation too. I put a server online in anticipation of a18 (cause we all stopped playing / hated a17), but then the release was changed from the original estimate. It does cost me $30 a month to keep the damn thing running and I'm not even playing on it myself because I can't stand a17.

This is one of the less talked about problems of posting release dates that aren't adhered to. It cost the server owners real money to keep the damn things running. If I had known that your release date wasn't going to be in June as promised I would have turned the server off for 2 months and used the money for something else. Instead now we are in the "indeterminate" release time phase again and I don't know if I should turn it off or not. If I do it may come out next week, if I don't it may come out in 3 months. Please take us into consideration when making these types of arbitrary promises in the future. You may make a lot of money from this but the server owners do not.

We do contribute to your sales and popularity by maintaining well run servers. All we ask in return is that you pick a release date and stick to it. It's better to say "sometime in 2019" than to say "by the end of the month". So tell me please, do I turn the damn thing back off again now or is it worth leaving it running because we are very close? Can you at least tell us that much? My servers population won't be happy but they will understand if I turn it off because of a lack of release time info. I would prefer not to disappoint the 40+ people I cater to though, so help me out here.

Cheers.
    You should have cancelled your server 6 months ago when you realized you hated 17. We're not shipping any time soon, so you'd be better off cancelling your server and only renting one after you confirm you actually like A18. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused with my ambitious initial post. In the future there will not be any release dates, it will be when its done.

What I wouldnt give for any of you to work on a development team for one week and you would understand why asking for dates is ridiculous.

Go play something else, my stupid mod has a team of 5 that worked around the clock for 3 months to bring you our latest release. And thats just a MOD. None of you truly know what goes into the development process.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post
    What I wouldnt give for any of you to work on a development team for one week and you would understand why asking for dates is ridiculous.

Go play something else, my stupid mod has a team of 5 that worked around the clock for 3 months to bring you our latest release. And thats just a MOD. None of you truly know what goes into the development process.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxTeller718 View Post

I once worked on a team of about a dozen developers on a product. Management mandated an unrealistic release date. We told management, no, that just can't be done. There was too much work and too much that needed to be done to meet that release date. It just wasn't possible.

Management said, yes, you will get it done because we said so. So they had us working overtime and weekends, and they even cancelled vacations (which really p*ssed off a lot of people - never do that to your employees). We busted our butts. We logged bloody hours and hours. And while we had a product ready to deliver by the deadline, it was buggy as hell. And we told management that. Look, says us, it is not ready, it will cause problems. They didn't listen, and they released it.

It was a disaster. The product was so buggy they had to recall it within a week. And, typically, management blamed us for this failure.

TFP, PLEASE DON'T RELEASE A18 UNTIL IT IS READY! I can wait until next year.

Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    You should have cancelled your server 6 months ago when you realized you hated 17. We're not shipping any time soon, so you'd be better off cancelling your server and only renting one after you confirm you actually like A18. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused with my ambitious initial post. In the future there will not be any release dates, it will be when its done.
    "In the future there will not be any release dates, it will be when its done."

^this

It is clear that dates are not going to be accurate for a myriad of reasons and it is also clear that any date mentioned is going to have some players viewing it as a hard date. Just don't tell us and we can then wine to each other but cant blame you anymore

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    It's looking more and more unlikely for this month but very likely for next month but please realize that they will push it back all the way to Christmas if they feel they need to do so. You cannot rely on release estimates or think of them as promises no matter how much it may sound like a promise.
    *cry*

Leaving for one month in 2 weeks. No 7 days to die fix until AFTER I come back. I am devastated.

Iím not a huge fan of A17 and I know I will be for A18. I especially wasnít during its first builds, but itís still 7D2D, so of course I still enjoy it.

I am finding it very hard to believe that all of the 40+ regular visitors to that server feel the exact same way and refuse to play A17. Maybe a few, but you would still have reason enough to run A17 on it until A18 comes. Even if it were less people, you would probably pick up new people who do want to play it. Iím calling bluff.

And you guys wonder why the vast majority of people that play this game don't bother coming to the forums...
    To be fair, this is a self-made problem. If your friends quit playing or hate A17, why leave the server on? It takes like an hour at most to set up a server, so why not turn it off til A18 launches? Why do you think that's an unreasonable solution?

He wasn't looking for solutions. He was looking for a release date and this was his approach.

Hunter
    if u watched the youtube videos 2 hours, u hear they think its coming around august. if they are happy with it.

Refugee
    Business communication courses are offered to assist professional development of IT workers. It's essential to prevent 'miscommunication' and understand the effects caused from poor communication skills. Communicating misinformation can harm a company's credibility to the point of affecting their bottom line. Learnt that on my D. Digital Interactive Gaming.
    Never say "..I assure you.." and not follow through with it, it breeds mistrust with the stakeholders (early release owners).
    Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on info.