Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding meshes

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    You can extract the old textures and if they fit on the new models, just point to the textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrakicking View Post
    Hi! I'm bumping this thread mainly because, as I had envisioned, I'm stuck on finding ways to make the idea I had come to life (and presently I don't have much time to investigate other trickier, more lengthy routes either), so I guess I'm going to reveal what my goal was.

So basically, I was wondering if it was posible to somehow add the old zombies back into the game (the ones that the game had before they were replaced with the new ones in A13 or so). My original idea was to see if replacing the meshes of the new zombies with the ones from the old zombies would work, since I figured they were still somewhere in the game and were compatible with the mocap animations.

I did find the names of the meshes from the old zombies, so I proceeded with the swap out. Sadly and predictably, all I got were many errors.

I know that if I put enough research in Unity, SDX, Xpath or similar systems, there's a possibility of finding a workaround, but I lack time and knowledge for that right now, so it is time to ask you guys what your thoughts are on this matter.
    Yes and no.

I've done it.

I had to rip the zombies + textures, toss them into mixamo to rig them, use mixamo to find appropriate animations, save all the anims, take the lot into unity, animate it, apply textures/materials, export it as a unity3d file and then use animationSDX to load it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    You can extract the old textures and if they fit on the new models, just point to the textures.
    I've thought about it, but no matter how you look at it, without the meshes they'll just look like someone just painted over them, especially if you try to reproduce the naked guys.

Quote Originally Posted by KhaineGB View Post
    Yes and no.

I've done it.

I had to rip the zombies + textures, toss them into mixamo to rig them, use mixamo to find appropriate animations, save all the anims, take the lot into unity, animate it, apply textures/materials, export it as a unity3d file and then use animationSDX to load it.
    Well, that sounds like quite the process... I'm guessing that's the only way to do it, unless one finds the original old zombies Unity assets pack and adds them into the game with SDX.

Well, that sounds like quite the process... I'm guessing that's the only way to do it, unless one finds the original old zombies Unity assets pack and adds them into the game with SDX.
    That's the only way I managed to do it with success. I mean, your way MIGHT work, but no guarantees

Hi! I'm bumping this thread mainly because, as I had envisioned, I'm stuck on finding ways to make the idea I had come to life (and presently I don't have much time to investigate other trickier, more lengthy routes either), so I guess I'm going to reveal what my goal was.

So basically, I was wondering if it was posible to somehow add the old zombies back into the game (the ones that the game had before they were replaced with the new ones in A13 or so). My original idea was to see if replacing the meshes of the new zombies with the ones from the old zombies would work, since I figured they were still somewhere in the game and were compatible with the mocap animations.

I did find the names of the meshes from the old zombies, so I proceeded with the swap out. Sadly and predictably, all I got were many errors.

I know that if I put enough research in Unity, SDX, Xpath or similar systems, there's a possibility of finding a workaround, but I lack time and knowledge for that right now, so it is time to ask you guys what your thoughts are on this matter.
    It would be very cool! I dream of doing it.
    But i need to learn Unity better.

My guess is the old model did not have function of dismemberment and will require manual rework. In addition, the new animation is not suitable for old models(not only technically) - need export from old.
    I think that all this can be done by Xyth - so you need to learn from him.
    https://youtu.be/pX3FjXu7ZlM

I guess that the old model zombies were more interesting! With what Alpha did You start playing 7dtd?
    Last edited by n2n1; 09-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n2n1 View Post
    It would be very cool! I dream of doing it.
    But i need to learn Unity better.

My guess is the old model did not have function of dismemberment and will require manual rework. In addition, the new animation is not suitable for old models(not only technically) - need export from old.
    I think that all this can be done by Xyth - so you need to learn from him.
    https://youtu.be/pX3FjXu7ZlM

I guess that the old model zombies were more interesting! With what Alpha did You start playing 7dtd?
    I'm an old timer. I played the game since the Pre-Alpha (as my "Original Survivor" badge proudly asserts).

I also need to learn more Unity. I swear that back when the new animations were making it to the gamebut weren't quite there yet (Alpha 12 or so), you could spawn the old zombie models and they would play the new animations. I'm guessing they were tests; but that basically showed that at least some old models were already suitable for the new animations. This made me think that maybe it was possible to just replace the new models with the old ones.

But yeah, it's very possible that one would need to completely rework the animations. I wish I had more time to do it myself, cause it would be a kickass mod.

Yes, exactly, in A12 along with the old attended the new zombies.
    I know that the new was already working with his new animation, but about the compatibility of old zombies with new animations - i'm not sure.