Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: is building pointless now?

Survivor
    It takes less than a week to get your forge up and going? And by week 3 you can have an auger and a base with all the crafting stations? If this is too long a time frame for you then sorry, your attention span is simply too short for this game.

Refugee
    I feel until the devs get the perks working the way they want it to. Base building might end up being something you either want to do to pass time, or just jump from one POI to another before horde night. Normally lvls didn't effect how everything went in the game, you lvl up to fast or to high early in game, the diffultity spikes in the zombies make progress tedious at best. Until we get that working model the fun pimps are finally happy to build upon, I find it easier to reinforce POI's you run across to keep ahead of the zombie curve.

Base building is fine. People are just freaking out for no reason.

There are thousands of ways to design a base. Just like in Rust, the bigger the base, the bigger your liability in attracting attention from PVP and Zombies. Currently you are rewarded for building smart vs. building big. I hope that doesn't change much.

Bases are good in non-PVP:

A17, always.
    A18, probably at least early game.

It depends almost entirely on how "explosive" the Demolition zombie will be. If it show up game stage 2000+, then most people will not have any problems.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    There's little point in building imo; whatever you build is gonna get wrecked and with sleepers and dungeon crawls lengthening loot times in poi's, who has the time until late game?

Not that this is a bad thing, it just IS a thing in my opinion.

Colony Founder
    What I think influences building even more are the levelgates in A17 and how weak tools are without mods.

If you can't find an iron tool you have to wait until level 20 to make your own iron tools. Working with stone tools is not fun.
    You can only make steel tools from level 70 on and the auger and chainsaw from level 100 on. You can be lucky and find the tools in good quality early but compared to weapons you rarely find tools.

You also need the mods to be able to mine resources effectively. Without Grave Digger, Bunker Buster and Iron Breaker the tools are much slower.

But I have hope for A18. Not only are there no levelgates, I've seen Madmole post a model for a toolbox on Twitter. The hope is that it will contain tools and mods for the tools as well as the weapon bag will contain weapons and mods for the weapons.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 08-04-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Most quests have tools among their rewards, it's pretty easy to end up with full metal tools early on.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Feycat View Post
    Most quests have tools among their rewards, it's pretty easy to end up with full metal tools early on.
    The rewards are random. Therefore you often have to do several quests to get iron tools. I tried it and it took me 3 days of constant questing to get a pickaxe as a reward.

In addition, the tool alone is useless. If you can't repair it, the tool won't do you any good. Without a forge, you can't make forged iron for repair and whether the forge at the trader works is random. I can also buy forged iron from the trader but whether he has it in his assortment is also random.

In A16 I had a working forge on day 2 at the latest and was able to make and repair my own iron tools. I did not have to rely on luck but could achieve something with work.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 08-04-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RipClaw View Post
    The rewards are random. Therefore you often have to do several quests to get iron tools. I tried it and it took me 3 days of constant questing to get a pickaxe as a reward.

In addition, the tool alone is useless. If you can't repair it, the tool won't do you any good. Without a forge, you can't make forged iron for repair and whether the forge works at the trader is random. I can also buy forged iron from the trader but whether he has it in his assortment is also random.

In A16 I had a working forge on day 2 at the latest and was able to make and repair my own iron tools. I did not have to rely on luck but could achieve something with work.
    I think it was A16's predictability that made TFP want to add more uncertainty to a players experience.

I also think allowing the player to chose what kind of experience they want to have (like Factorio for example) would be good for sales IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    There's little point in building imo; whatever you build is gonna get wrecked and with sleepers and dungeon crawls lengthening loot times in poi's, who has the time until late game?

Not that this is a bad thing, it just IS a thing in my opinion.
    Is that you opinion of what A18 will be like? That's probably true, but I need to see for myself.

In A17, I can speed loot 4 or 5 loot rooms a day, more if I'm not doing quests.

I love clearing zeds. No full looting until they're all dead.

A18? I'm optimistic. MM has back pedalled on most of the stuff I hated about A17, so that's a good sign.

I love clearing zeds. No full looting until they're all dead.

A18? I'm optimistic. MM has back pedalled on most of the stuff I hated about A17, so that's a good sign.

On killing zombies IMO: If there was a game reason in killing zombies, I'd be right there with you. Even if it was to kill 100,000 zombies and no more zombies will show up. Even if it was a limited time (77 days for example).

As I'm currently into Role-playing the game, gratuitous killing doesn't make sense. In my game plot, the infinite zombies are from nearby Phoenix Arizona (1.5 million potential zombies).

Aren't they still the best source of XP? I'm trying to get to the point in the game where I have enough points to purchase basic skills that 10 year olds have, so that the real "beginning of the game" can begin.

...it's funny, because in previous alphas I always enjoyed restarting and playing from the beginning. Now though, first I have to spend 30 minutes doing the stupid quests, and then 3 days getting skill points so my character has the ability to do things that he was always able to do in previous alphas.

Starting over sucks now.

Aren't they still the best source of XP? I'm trying to get to the point in the game where I have enough points to purchase basic skills that 10 year olds have, so that the real "beginning of the game" can begin.

...it's funny, because in previous alphas I always enjoyed restarting and playing from the beginning. Now though, first I have to spend 30 minutes doing the stupid quests, and then 3 days getting skill points so my character has the ability to do things that he was always able to do in previous alphas.

Starting over sucks now.
    Yeah, starting over can be kinda grueling for sure, so with "dead is dead" I eventually added 20 skill points to my (Edit: Starter) mission.
    I can easily role play that as my character was a somebody and knew some things before "Day 1".

Then, gaining exp by non-violence has more synergy than killing zombies. You can get iron tools pretty fast and focus on mining skills as mining is (A17) a great exp source. Then turn what you mined into more stuff and build things for even more exp.
    Last edited by Aldranon; 08-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.