Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocks, That Is All

Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    Dude, you are stealing my thunder! Even though weathering does not have an influence on the pure shape of the crystals.
    I'm so sorry about this, the pedantry is too hard to resist...

Technically, a stalactite is a crystal sometimes made entirely from the weathering of the rocks above.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gronk View Post

Technically, a stalactite is a crystal sometimes made entirely from the weathering of the rocks above.
    Yeah that's true, but it's pedantry like you said But calcite is still calcite, whether it is deposited in-situ, is cemented into the sedimentary rock, or whether is dripping down a cave ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nice Cup of Tea View Post
    We should be able to make obsidian knives and spear tips.
    Sounds like a mod because in this game it's not super hard to get iron tools so it would be a largely pointless feature.

First you think u know more than gaz about 7 days to die coding. Then you think you know more than MadMole about game design. THEN you think you know more than Davega about rocks. Next thing you know, you will be trying to teach me how to be a stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    First you think u know more than gaz about 7 days to die coding. Then you think you know more than MadMole about game design. THEN you think you know more than Davega about rocks. Next thing you know, you will be trying to teach me how to be a stripper.
    You want more tips? The trick is to spin around your own pole :-)

Everyone can make a mistake, I'm no exception. It's not obvious that a stalactite is a crystal and, if memory serves, not something I was taught in either science or geography.

The horrible thing? I generally google for verification these days instead of education. I've been a pedant for so long I've pretty much researched everything that interests me. You want to see me bamboozled? Ask me anything about popular culture :-)

Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog1942 View Post
    This made me lol in the office man..!

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone can make a mistake, I'm no exception. It's not obvious that a stalactite is a crystal and, if memory serves, not something I was taught in either science or geography.

The horrible thing? I generally google for verification these days instead of education. I've been a pedant for so long I've pretty much researched everything that interests me. You want to see me bamboozled? Ask me anything about popular culture :-)
    Haha no worries mate.. No (rock-)hard feelings!

*Throws down my pet-rock*

Looks like everybody is a geologist here now! ^-^

Yeah you are right. If magma cools sufficiently slow you can get very nice and large crystals, also called plutonic rocks (granite, for example). If the magma extrudes to the surface, it cools down much more rapidly. Because of this, there is not enough time to form large crystals, because of which you can get a more 'homogenous' rock (basalt, for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by seryie8a7 View Post
    should we expect the experimental and 18 in the 20 days
    Sorry, see above, 7D2D has to cool off sufficiently slow so that it can get some nice regular features.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Sorry, see above, 7D2D has to cool off sufficiently slow so that it can get some nice regular features.
    Yeah absolutely! Cool-down times are of course in the thousands of years, which is in the same order of magnitude as an alpha-cycle (yes, yes, Roland, that's only counting the whole Alpha updates. If you want to count the point-updates as well, its gets longer).

Yeah absolutely! Cool-down times are of course in the thousands of years, which is in the same order of magnitude as an alpha-cycle (yes, yes, Roland, that's only counting the whole Alpha updates. If you want to count the point-updates as well, its gets longer).
    And you even left out the streamer-exclusive eons so that the time frame is still conceivable to our tiny human brains.

Inventor
    so, err... Alpha 18 will be an Epoch Update then?

(and is that why the dinosaurs had to die?) (oh oh... or are we waiting until the Ross ice sheet falls??)

Quote Originally Posted by FileMachete View Post

(and is that why the dinosaurs had to die?) (oh oh... or are we waiting until the Ross ice sheet falls??)
    The effects of global warming can be observed in A18. There will be more terrain under water than in A17

Colony Founder
    Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    And you even left out the streamer-exclusive eons so that the time frame is still conceivable to our tiny human brains.
    Yeah I can be a generous god!

Quote Originally Posted by FileMachete View Post

Yeah geological epochs (or rather the bigger subdivision of eras) are usually defined by the mass extinction of life on the planet. So yeah.. A18 can be an epoch-defining update.. We just need to select a suitable life-form which needs to go extinct.

I personally vote for math teachers!