Thread: Steam API Reporting Incorrect Game Port

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar

Steam API Reporting Incorrect Game Port

I discovered this a little over a month ago when some players weren't seeing my server in the list, and tried to connect manually based on the information presented in Battlemetrics. They were unable to connect because the reported port is actually the query port, and not the actual game port.

So I contacted Battlemetrics regarding the issue, and they stated that it's the information sent from Steam. They don't really have any control over it, they're just pulling data from the Steam API.
    I then contacted Steam regarding this discrepancy, and after a bit of back-and-forth to get them to understand what I was actually talking about, they basically told be it's not their issue. Stating "Please note that Steam Support does not provide assistance for questions regarding the Steam Web API."

So when pulling the information for my servers, here's what is shown.

This is the api link

The line from my servers....
    Code:
    {"addr":"68.40.92.232:26920","gmsindex":65534,"appid":251570,"gamedir":"7DTD","region":-1,"secure":false,"lan":false,"gameport":26922,"specport":0},{"addr":"68.40.92.232:26930","gmsindex":65534,"appid":251570,"gamedir":"7DTD","region":-1,"secure":false,"lan":false,"gameport":26932,"specport":0},

The gameport data in the api is obviously incorrect, as that is actually the query port.

Also note, that my Alpha 16 7 Days to Die server is showing the correct information as it is hosted on port 26910...
    Code:
    {"addr":"68.40.92.232:26911","gmsindex":65534,"appid":251570,"gamedir":"7DTD","region":-1,"secure":false,"lan":false,"gameport":26910,"specport":0},

Not sure what's going on but, the webpage mastersofchaosgaming also shows 26922 and 29632 as the gameports. And selecting "join" fails.

If I understand correctly, the api is putting the query port into the "gameport" field? Where does the api pull that data from?

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Yes, because the code I'm using there pulls the information from BattleMetrics. (It's just their server banner code.) I'm currently under the assumption that it's a change in the net code from a16 to a17, and TFP just needs to report the new information to Steam.
    I have very little real information to go on outside of what I posted though. I've just been following breadcrumbs to this point.

I tried a few other 7D2D server banners from Battlemetrics and none of them worked. Given that, I'm surprised they won't look further into it. It narrows it down though like you said to an overall problem with the relationship between the server and steam api. Not something specific to a particular server.