Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting too much on this forum

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    Ima shoot you a PM of some youtube clips since, I think its against the rules for me to post links here. Anyways give these clips a watch and it'll help you deal with trolls and all around sharpen your debating/arguement skills. These vids really helped me a lot when it comes to dealing with trolls and argumentative people.
    For the most part it's not against the rules. We even have a forum section dedicated to sharing, and one for streamers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    For the most part it's not against the rules. We even have a forum section dedicated to sharing, and one for streamers as well.
    Thank you for the clarification.

@bobrpggamer here is another video, I meant to provide this link along with those other 3 I did in PM.This video is really good with helping with how to deal with trolls and haters.

Stand Up For Yourself Without Being A Jerk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBIT0Q7fOc

How To Avoid Embarrassing Yourself In An Argument - Jordan Peterson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9W-wlJHPA <-- very good. I use these tactics on a daily basis when I'm chatting online with people. I do not run in to trolls or bullies in person but for some weird reason, people get bigger balls when they hide behind a computer lol.

If you want to see some examples check out how I respond to the trolls in the A18 dev diary. I get atleast 2 a day that tries trolling me or tries to provoke a reaction out of me, using simple psychological tools described in this video I shut them down. Works every time so long as you remain calm, cool and collective.

Your'll find that most trolls are passive agressive and they just want to get you pissed so that you look like the bad guy.
    I've done years of research in to psychology and I can say with confidence those vids speak truth.
    Hope this helps you!
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 08-30-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Ranger
    Thank you for the clarification.

@bobrpggamer here is another video, I meant to provide this link along with those other 3 I did in PM.This video is really good with helping with how to deal with trolls and haters.

Stand Up For Yourself Without Being A Jerk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBIT0Q7fOc

How To Avoid Embarrassing Yourself In An Argument - Jordan Peterson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9W-wlJHPA <-- very good. I use these tactics on a daily basis when I'm chatting online with people. I do not run in to trolls or bullies in person but for some weird reason, people get bigger balls when they hide behind a computer lol.

If you want to see some examples check out how I respond to the trolls in the A18 dev diary. I get atleast 2 a day that tries trolling me or tries to provoke a reaction out of me, using simple psychological tools described in this video I shut them down. Works every time so long as you remain calm, cool and collective.

Your'll find that most trolls are passive agressive and they just want to get you pissed so that you look like the bad guy.
    I've done years of research in to psychology and I can say with confidence those vids speak truth.
    Hope this helps you!
    These guys are far over my IQ. My problem is ignoring things which can be hard but it would take something pretty personal and f'ed up to make me really angry enough to make an ass out of myself, I do thank you though. Ben Shapiro has a very sharp mind but he still has strong opinions that others do not like very much and I watched him get a transsexual so pissed off he or she threatened to fight him in the parking lot at the set they were having the debate or whatever it was.

This guy in the forum I spoke about was a rare occasion and the thing was it reminded me of something I will not say so I took it personal in a bad way.

I find that on a lot of forums there may be people, possibly kids that get bullied in school and then start screwing with people on forums or in online games, that's why I do not play online games, I played online to play and win on the team I was on and not to act out and clown around just for kicks like killing your own teammates or that kind of thing. I remember playing a game of half Life 2 deathmatch and everyone ignored me on the server and I have had guys on my own team kill me just for fun on on other games so online games are not my cup of tea, there were some exceptions when I played Day of Defeat Source I had some good teammates a couple of times and it was fun but 70-80% of the time it was just clowning around and I just wanted to play the game and win the match or whatever.

Honestly I was called a troll once on that forum and it stuck with me, I never said one bad thing, I just posted a few questions, offered some things I made for the game and then this guy show up and starts screwing with me and then someone said I was trolling the forums and I could not understand what I could have posted to have that said about me. So that one forum has always had me wondering what trolling really is and does it mean asking too many questions, offering too much advice or just offering too many things I made to help play the game.

Anyway this has been informative and I thank you for your advice, I will keep these things in mind.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 08-30-2019 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I still remember back in the day when I had the highest post count... then stuff happened and lost motivation / got lazy.

RE-EDIT: And I just noticed the new rules page... nicely done. Makes far more sense now.
    This reminds me of the days I would actually keep tabs on my forum's posts rank. I would slowly watch it progress from Scavenger to Nomad, to Zombie Hunter, all the way to Colony Founder. Ever since then, I lost all interest and forgot about it till this thread.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    I didn't keep track until it was pointed out mine was kind of high. Now it's kind of a joke for me.

Meh, I'm talkative, fuggit.

[...]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrpggamer View Post
    [...]
    I think that's the ultimate advice right here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Comes down to use common sense and don't be an asshat.
    All the youtube-level wisdom in the world can't trump that imo. Moreover those are easy to learn but very tricky to apply in the right situations, and if interpreted incorrectly they can end up making you view most human interactions as conflict, making you worry more about the impression you try to give to an irrelevant/invisible audience rather than your own well-being or real relationships.

@bobrpggamer even if that person offended you, instead of letting out, you could have received that pig-sodomizing batman picture with a healthy dose of humor, ignored it, or even silently reporting their post. Gist is do not let such petty things get to you to the point that you start regarding them as "conflict". Life is too short for that.

S*** on the internet is not real folks. I role play every persona I have on forums.

...but I'm old and didn't grow up on the damn thing; it came to me in my super early 20's so I only see it as the tool it was meant to be.

"Social media" is a foreign concept to me. Hell, my wife says this forum is a form of "social media" and I'd agree by definition, but not in practice.

Real talk here from Uncle Guppy:

I don't know any of you and have no real emotional attachments to y'all. Some of you seem nice and cool and all, but probably have a crawlspace full of half eaten sorority sisters, and because I don't know if that's true, I refuse to form real bonds over a keyboard.

Just doesn't make sense in my world, and that practice allows me to shed your comments off like the death if a pedophile... I just don't care.

Bottom line is, if you read something online and it bothers you, but doesn't actually affect your real life? Then it shouldn't affect your real life.

Some of you seem nice and cool and all, but probably have a crawlspace full of half eaten sorority sisters, and because I don't know if that's true, I refuse to form real bonds over a keyboard.
    Same could apply to your real life friends and acquaintanceships. You can never be sure. I bet some people here are more sincere when it comes to showing their true face than they are in real life. Moreover I am surprised that you have complete control over your emotional attachment to others and also disappointed that charming Pille means nothing to you. However, I agree that keeping a certain emotional distance is a good idea. Perhaps we are alike in this regard, but you're a little more extreme. Depends on the term 'real emotional attachment'.

Bottom line is, if you read something online and it bothers you, but doesn't actually affect your real life? Then it shouldn't affect your real life.
    Wow that sounds awful if you think about the implications for a while.^^ Imo the sharp dividing line between online and real life that you proclaim doesn't exist. The internet is just another transmission medium.

Btw. I find the title of this thread hilarious. 'Posting too much on this forum' That's an idea some of the guys here would never have. Not in a thousand years. You can't post too much if some of the Mods are boss spammers.^^
    Last edited by Pille; 08-31-2019 at 06:24 PM.

I don't know any of you and have no real emotional attachments to y'all. Some of you seem nice and cool and all, but probably have a crawlspace full of half eaten sorority sisters, and because I don't know if that's true, I refuse to form real bonds over a keyboard.
    Wow. Fine. I'll just return the underwear that I spent all day shopping to find the perfect fit and style for you, if that's how you feel.

Lol don't get me wrong, if you're in town I'll meet some of you for drinks/coffee but then THAT is when "real" interaction begins.

I'm quite fond of a lot of your online personalities.

Lol don't get me wrong, if you're in town I'll meet some of you for drinks/coffee but then THAT is when "real" interaction begins.

I'm quite fond of a lot of your online personalities.
    Bring a pepper spray with you just in case.

S*** on the internet is not real folks. I role play every persona I have on forums.

...but I'm old and didn't grow up on the damn thing; it came to me in my super early 20's so I only see it as the tool it was meant to be.

"Social media" is a foreign concept to me. Hell, my wife says this forum is a form of "social media" and I'd agree by definition, but not in practice.

Real talk here from Uncle Guppy:

Just doesn't make sense in my world, and that practice allows me to shed your comments off like the death if a pedophile... I just don't care.

Agreed for the most part. Social media like Twitter and Facebook I have no use for. I've never created an account and likely never will either. Forums are where it's at cuz you can at least learn from it and isn't too personal.

As far as not being bothered by online stuff... threatening messages from stalking users that somehow manage to gain your personal details in which you've never given out before... that stuff will always bother me. It's happened to me on this very website too back when I was moderating it. Had to get police involved which luckily scared him off. But most other things said online should easily be shrugged off cuz they don't know anything about you, so how could it possibly be taken personal?

Now if you don't mind... I need to go stab someone 37 times and then eat their hands.
    reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUPCB9533Y
    Last edited by Fox; 08-31-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Yeh had the same happen here too, but that's when it DOES affect your real life, so is excluded from my ruleset.

Ranger
    The picture reminded me of the song by the Misfits "Last Caress" do not bother asking me why. This post was because of the "you have been trolling this forum" comment on the taleworlds forum and honestly when they said that I could not understand what he was talking about. So I try not to post too much here or elsewhere because of it. I only post on a few forums, this one because I love 7 days To Die, the English Amiga Board which was just recently and I kind of finished there for now and sometimes a steam forum for a particular game I am playing. I don't really like to ask much in general and one post I made here about mining and leveling up with the auger was kind of a mistake and I wish I didn't.

It is kind of interesting sometimes when you make a strange post and it brings you guys together talking about things that you may not have talked about before. Anyway I plan to just ask questions I think I will better off that way and you guys have been really cool with that and very helpful so I will stick to that.

As far as taking things personal I will just add that when your life is an open book or maybe you just think it is then its a lot easier to take things personal from people you may not know but you may think they know you somehow.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 09-01-2019 at 04:26 AM.

My rule of thumb for posting is to avoid using the word "you" in negative sentence.
    Still got 8 more fingers then my thumbs, so it's not a rule, more of a personal guidline and
    a warning sign.