Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel, TFP, we love ya but your PvP is showing..

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    Yes I have thought about this already and for the reasons you stated I never pitched this idea to TFP.
    If I ever think of a way I'll pitch it. I've been thinking about this for, maybe 2 years and I've kinda given up on finding a solution that is possible at this time.
    Yeah, same here. I think the fixed FoV is the closest reasonable solution, but it doesn't really work that well either.

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Yeah, same here. I think the fixed FoV is the closest reasonable solution, but it doesn't really work that well either.
    yeah that can work but the FOV would need to be extremely limited. I did a few tests with the limiting FOV and it works but, who wants to play a game with such a small FOV just to solve the clipping bug. lol

I'm sure TFP have already considered it but just in case they never did. I never pitched the the idea and my test results as I do not want FOV limited.
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 08-30-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Tracker
    yeah that can work but the FOV would need to be extremely limited. I did a few tests with the limiting FOV and it works but, who wants to play a game with such a small FOV just to solve the clipping bug. lol

I'm sure TFP have already considered it but just in case they never did. I never pitched the the idea and my test results as I do not want FOV limited.
    I remember FOV being talked about when the clipping was brought up a couple years ago. I think it was determined to be impractical, like you mention

If you're seeing a block from a side that you're not supposed to be, it's rendered transparent to you. Could the visuals be coded such that if you're ever seeing any of those transparent values, then your vision immediately fades to darkness until you back away?

-Morloc

EDIT: Now I was a little aggressive in my response so I would like to offer you something.
    When A18 drops I'll be more than happy to take you under my wing for a few months and teach you all I know regarding how to survive playing solo on a PVP server.
    This flies in the face of all that is PvP and embraces all that is cooperative. I bet he takes a hard pass....lol

(plus, it came across as so incredibly condescending that it actually caused condensation to form on my empty cup sitting next to me when I read it )
    Last edited by Roland; 08-30-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Morloc View Post
    If you're seeing a block from a side that you're not supposed to be, it's rendered transparent to you. Could the visuals be coded such that if you're ever seeing any of those transparent values, then your vision immediately fades to darkness until you back away?

-Morloc
    Like an underground... fog or something? Or more immediate?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    This flies in the face of all that is PvP and embraces all that is cooperative. I bet he takes a hard pass....lol

(plus, it came across as so incredibly condescending that it actually caused condensation to form on my empty cup sitting next to me when I read it )
    I did not mean for it to come across like that lol.
    Sometimes I hate my lack of communication skills I swear.

EDIT: @RyanX If you where offended in any way by what I said following "EDIT" in my previous message I do apologize. I honestly felt a little bad at how hard I came at you and offering you my time and knowledge was my way of making up for it, for what its worth.
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 08-30-2019 at 10:50 PM.

How about if you clip into the terrain you start dying like you would if your body suddenly merged with rock and dirt? I know....I know....its not a survival simulation...

But if it is too difficult to stamp out every edge case of it occurring then at least kill off the losers who keep smashing their heads into the middle of terrain blocks.

I believe that Minecraft suffocates you to death if you ever find yourself encased in terrain.

Bring back the server wide messaging that announces to everyone why someone died and not only will it kill the perpetrator it will announce what he's doing for an easier ban justification.
    Last edited by Roland; 08-30-2019 at 10:49 PM.

PVE vs. PVP Stats

Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Just a reminder, the PvP population of this title is only 3-5% of the playerbase.
    Where does this number come from? When I look at the server lists, it doesn't seem accurate. It seems to be roughly one order of magnitude off. (30-50% pvp players)

PVE No Killing Page 1
    pve-no-killing-720.jpg

PVE No Killing Page 2
    pve-no-killing-720-2.jpg

PVP Kill everyone Page 1
    pvp-kill-everyone-720.jpg

PVP Kill strangers Page 1
    pvp-kill-strangers-720.jpg

Using that I came up with 256 PVE players to 222 PVP players. That's in the 40-50% PVP players range.

edit: This is not a Pro PVP post, or in any way agreement with the op's post. I'm genuinely just interested in
    statistical accuracy and what methods are used to gather them.
    Last edited by Beelzybub; 08-30-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: clarify post.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    How about if you clip into the terrain you start dying like you would if your body suddenly merged with rock and dirt? I know....I know....its not a survival simulation...

But if it is too difficult to stamp out every edge case of it occurring then at least kill off the losers who keep smashing their heads into the middle of terrain blocks.

I believe that Minecraft suffocates you to death if you ever find yourself encased in terrain.

Bring back the server wide messaging that announces to everyone why someone died and not only will it kill the perpetrator it will announce what he's doing for an easier ban justification.
    I spoke to some devs for ARK long time ago and they spoke about what you just proposed but for there game. I'm not sure if they ever did it but from the sounds of it at that time it would be a major technical hurdle to cross and they had doubts it would work 100% of the time without accidentally killing a legit player. They did not sound to confident about it and they have millions to spend. if they couldnt do it for tech reasons..I do not think its possible. You never know though

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzybub View Post
    Where does this number come from? When I look at the server lists, it doesn't seem accurate. It seems to be roughly one order of magnitude off. (30-50% pvp players)
    <snip>
    Using that I came up with 256 PVE players to 222 PVP players. That's in the 40-50% PVP players range.
    you are forgetting about single player numbers and all the servers that are not listed in co-op play.

you are forgetting about single player numbers and all the servers that are not listed.
    Yep, likely the majority of the remainder of the 7k current players.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzybub View Post

PVE No Killing Page 1
    pve-no-killing-720.jpg

PVE No Killing Page 2
    pve-no-killing-720-2.jpg

PVP Kill everyone Page 1
    pvp-kill-everyone-720.jpg

PVP Kill strangers Page 1
    pvp-kill-strangers-720.jpg

I don't believe that PvP players are only 3-5% of the player base. I think that is too low. However, what you just showed is comparing online servers that are set to appear publicly. Nobody playing SP on their local computer is going to be a part of what you just shared. So you are right that it appears that PvP is roughly half of the online servers that appear publicly but those roughly 222 PvP players are probably the full extent of all the players since you don't play PvP locally by yourself and probably not person to person with one or two buddies.

There are probably 1000's of players on their local server set to private so that it never appears in the server list playing SP and cooperatively with a buddy with one of them hosting. There could also be dedicated servers set only to private which also would not appear in the list and which are most likely going to be cooperative games rather than PvP.

PvP really requires new blood and strangers with slots for at least 20 people to cycle in and out. Those are going to be public and show up.

Tracker
    Ya know...on the topic of PvP and such... I think it'd be fun to find a server that allows PvP, but everyone is super into role-playing. There's no raiding to troll or anything like that. It's all just...like... story-driven fighting. Ya know?

currently 7,105 players in game right this very moment. You said there is roughly 222 pvp that you can count with the servers you can see.

I suck at math but maybe someone can crunch those numbers and see the % right now

My guess is, since i cant do math, 1-2% of the total number of players are actually playing pvp at this very moment.

EDIT: total numbers now 7,116 this will change by the minute so yeah.. lol

And another stat i'll throw out there for the hell of it. Last update for 7D2D was about 24 hours ago (August 29, 2019 – 23:34:07 UTC) <---A18 not A17 that the public has access to

----NEVERMIND: I crunched the numbers. there is 3.1% of players playing PVP at this time. ----
    Last edited by ZombieSurvivor; 08-30-2019 at 11:22 PM.