Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade

  1. #1
    Ranger CAdolfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    0

    Windows 10 upgrade

    I'm upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. Will my saved games from Win 7 work on Win 10?

  2. #2
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,601
    Rep Power
    1
    Your OS wouldn't affect your saves.

    Just be sure that you install the GPU drivers after Windows gets done updating and putting it's crap driver in place. (And after every major update, you will need to re-install the driver. Just like in Win7.)

  3. #3
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    1
    You mean you're downgrading to Windows 10...

    You joined the dark side... you fell for the free cookies didn't you?


    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    (And after every major update, you will need to re-install the driver. Just like in Win7.)
    What? I've never heard of that issue. Mind you, I never do further updates after the initial install of Windows.
    Last edited by Fox; 08-30-2019 at 07:20 PM.

  4. #4
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,601
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You mean you're downgrading to Windows 10...

    You joined the dark side... you fell for the free cookies didn't you?



    What? I've never heard of that issue. Mind you, I never do further updates after the initial install of Windows.
    Yeah, every major system update Microsoft likes to replace your GPU driver with their "certified" driver version. The issue is that their driver doesn't support Direct3D Acceleration, and that causes an issue with a lot of games. They've been doing this since Windows Vista.

    In Windows 7 it would happen maybe once a year. With Windows 10 it happens every 3-4 months. (Although they say they're going to back off on the frequency of these major updates now.)

  5. #5
    Ranger CAdolfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Your OS wouldn't affect your saves.

    Just be sure that you install the GPU drivers after Windows gets done updating and putting it's crap driver in place. (And after every major update, you will need to re-install the driver. Just like in Win7.)
    Thanks not to worried since Alpha 18 is around the corner and I'll probably start a new world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You mean you're downgrading to Windows 10...

    You joined the dark side... you fell for the free cookies didn't you?



    What? I've never heard of that issue. Mind you, I never do further updates after the initial install of Windows.
    Hahaha "free cookies". I know it's a downgrade but I have no choice.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Yeah, every major system update Microsoft likes to replace your GPU driver with their "certified" driver version. The issue is that their driver doesn't support Direct3D Acceleration, and that causes an issue with a lot of games. They've been doing this since Windows Vista.

    In Windows 7 it would happen maybe once a year. With Windows 10 it happens every 3-4 months. (Although they say they're going to back off on the frequency of these major updates now.)
    Is it considered an "important" or "recommended" update? It doesn't happen automatically unless you have automatic updates right?

  6. #6
    Ranger Ti2xGr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    1
    FYI - Windows 7 won't be supported after the end of this year.

  7. #7
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,601
    Rep Power
    1
    If you plan on accessing the internet, it's important to keep Windows up to date.

  8. #8
    Ranger CAdolfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    FYI - Windows 7 won't be supported after the end of this year.
    One of the reasons I'm moving over.

  9. #9
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    Yeah, every major system update Microsoft likes to replace your GPU driver with their "certified" driver version. The issue is that their driver doesn't support Direct3D Acceleration, and that causes an issue with a lot of games. They've been doing this since Windows Vista.

    In Windows 7 it would happen maybe once a year. With Windows 10 it happens every 3-4 months. (Although they say they're going to back off on the frequency of these major updates now.)
    Wow... persistently stupid on everything. You'd think Microsoft would learn from their dumb mistakes / habits over the years.

  10. #10
    Tracker
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    0
    What you call "dumb mistakes" they call "learning opportunities to better irreplaceably integrate their products and services into your life"

  11. #11
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    FYI - Windows 7 won't be supported after the end of this year.
    Just because it'll no longer be supported doesn't mean Windows 7 will just crash and burn to the ground instantly. It just means there won't be any new drivers or Windows updates for it anymore and some websites will start to have issues with it over time... that sort of thing. But I mean, there are still some websites out there that work with Windows XP, so I'm not too concerned right now. I feel like ppl are making a big deal out of nothing as if it's Y2K all over again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SylenThunder View Post
    If you plan on accessing the internet, it's important to keep Windows up to date.
    Ya ya... I've heard that nonsense many times before. Windows updates doesn't keep the world from crashing. The fact that I haven't done any Windows updates on any of my systems in 2+ years since I last formatted them pretty much says it all. Updates are not a necessity, they're just optional... or at least they were until Microsoft decided to force them down ppl's throats with Windows 10.
    Last edited by Fox; 08-30-2019 at 08:51 PM.

  12. #12
    Tracker
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just because it'll no longer be supported doesn't mean Windows 7 will just crash and burn to the ground instantly. It just means there won't be any new drivers or Windows updates for it anymore and some websites will start to have issues with it over time... that sort of thing. But I mean, there are still some websites out there that work with Windows XP, so I'm not too concerned right now. I feel like ppl are making a big deal out of nothing as if it's Y2K all over again.


    Ya ya... I've heard that nonsense many times before. Windows updates doesn't keep the world from crashing. The fact that I haven't done any Windows updates on any of my systems in 2+ years since I last formatted them pretty much says it all. Updates are not a necessity, they're just optional... or at least they were until Microsoft decided to force them down ppl's throats with Windows 10.
    With all the exploits and vulnerabilities that have been getting discovered recently, it's honestly a really bad idea not to stay up-to-date. Even if you're not a business, you can still get targeted and lose important stuff.

  13. #13
    Leader Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Under the snow
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vedrit View Post
    With all the exploits and vulnerabilities that have been getting discovered recently, it's honestly a really bad idea not to stay up-to-date. Even if you're not a business, you can still get targeted and lose important stuff.
    The media really has you locked in.

    Also, I always have backups of my backups.

  14. #14
    Tracker
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The media really has you locked in.

    Also, I always have backups of my backups.
    Except that I don't watch/read the news. I'm in groups of people that either do lots of cybersecurity or are sys/net admins for various companies. Yes, these vulnerabilities exist. Yes, they should be taken seriously.

  15. #15
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,601
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just because it'll no longer be supported doesn't mean Windows 7 will just crash and burn to the ground instantly. It just means there won't be any new drivers or Windows updates for it anymore and some websites will start to have issues with it over time... that sort of thing. But I mean, there are still some websites out there that work with Windows XP, so I'm not too concerned right now. I feel like ppl are making a big deal out of nothing as if it's Y2K all over again.
    100% There are tones of people still using XP. One of the companies I support still uses it on a few systems because the software they require for the machines hasn't been updated to run on any newer OS. (And it's really sad because it's not like the software company doesn't exist, or isn't still making updates/changes to their software. They just haven't written code that will work on a newer version of windows.) Those machines are prevented from accessing the external network in any form.

    Quote Originally Posted by vedrit View Post
    Except that I don't watch/read the news. I'm in groups of people that either do lots of cybersecurity or are sys/net admins for various companies. Yes, these vulnerabilities exist. Yes, they should be taken seriously.
    Same here. If you're careful on the net, your risk is small. There is still a huge risk you are taking though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •