Thread: Gyrocopter freezes in place after exiting, preserves momentum when re-entering

Refugee

Gyrocopter freezes in place after exiting, preserves momentum when re-entering

I thought this was common because my friends all have the same issue, but I can't find anything on it on the forums.

Version of the game: Alpha 17.4

Behavior: When exiting the gyrocopter, it locks in place. This can happen at any height and any speed, as if hitting a pause button.

Secondary behavior: The gyrocopter preserves all momentum and returns to whatever speed it was originally at when re-entering the vehicle. As if unpausing it.

Fixes:

#1: In single player, restarting the client causes the gyrocopter to "drop" to the floor and all preserved momentum is lost.
    #2: when on our dedicated server, when all players that are in the same chunk as the gyrocopter leave that chunk (or log out) the gyrocopter relocates to the ground and loses all preserved momentum

Note: The Gyrocopter can still be fully accessed while locked in place, the inventory works, you can refuel or repair it, the wheel menu is fully accessible. Interacting with the gyrocopter while it is in stasis does NOT fix/unpause/unfreeze it, it stays in place. Refueling, repairing, accessing the inventory have no effect in it being stuck in place.

Extra information: This bug happens in single player, in steam multiplayer AND on our dedicated server (Linux: Centos 7). The behavior persists across multiple systems with different hardware. The behavior persists across several steam accounts (5 of my friends report the same behavior). The behavior persists even when reinstalling the game, updates to graphics drivers do not fix it either. Server logs do not show any errors. System resources are not being strained during the behavior, so it isn't just a slow system. No mods are installed, nor have any mods ever been installed, this behavior happens on a 100% fresh install with 100% vanilla conditions. Server logs show no abnormalities.

Example:

This has been exploited by my friends to access rooftop loot. they will fly in at max speed, then exit the gyrocopter and fall onto the roof. [the gyrocopter locks into place several feet above the roof] Once loot has been secured, they will load the loot into the gyrocopter. [the gyrocopter remains floating above the roof while they load in loot, refuel or repair it] Once all loot has been obtained (or they are forced to hastily retreat) they enter the vehicle and the stored momentum sends them once again flying away instantly at full speed. [gyrocopter is once again fully under player control, resuming at full speed as if the player never left the vehicle at all]

Systems this happens on:

My computer: i7 3820, 32 gigs of DDR3 1600, GTX 1060 6 gig

My friend Chris: i5 2500k, 16 gigs of DDR3 1866, RX 580

My friend Niel: i7 4790k, 16 gigs of DDR3 1600, GTX 970

My spare gaming computer: i5 750 @ 4.2 ghz, 16 gigs DDR3 1333, GTX 950

My linux server: two Xeon x5335 CPUs, 32 gigs of DDR2 FBDIMM, Matrox G450 graphics

Refugee
    I doubt its a system related issue. Simply gyrocopter is glitched and controls itself are terrible. Same things are happening to me... even motorbike glitched twice on the plain ground. I tried to dig out the ground under motorbike but still couldnt enter the veh and even reconnecting did not help. Motorbike was hovering above the ground. Its alpha version still...
    My PC: R5 3600, 16 gigs of DDR4 3200, VEGA56 8 gig

I used to have the opposite problem. Randomly when the copters were left alone for a while they would lock into place as a static un-interactable image that could not be destroyed, moved or accessed. It was always permanent when it happened. You could dig up all the blocks around it and it would just stay there in the air forever, impervious to damage. Made some interesting road blocks in front of our base lemme tell ya.

i know it doesnt help in old alphas but it was fixed way back when i reported it in a17 and fixed for a18.
    Last edited by unholyjoe; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:42 PM.

Interesting. I'm running a server on A17.4 and we still have issues with gyrocopters stuck in the sky when we exit as well. Are you saying it is fixed for A18 or that it should already be a non-issue?

Refugee
    So, this is a known issue for A17.4, but will be fixed when A18 comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsep View Post
    So, this is a known issue for A17.4, but will be fixed when A18 comes out?

yes. i say its known because it is and reported several times... its all i can do, sorry.

Refugee
    Fair enough, I was just confused initially as 17.4 is the current alpha XD Thanks for the answer! Also, I couldn't find any mention of the gyrocopter freezing problem at all on the forums, is there another place to report bugs?

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsep View Post
    Fair enough, I was just confused initially as 17.4 is the current alpha XD Thanks for the answer! Also, I couldn't find any mention of the gyrocopter freezing problem at all on the forums, is there another place to report bugs?
    It could have been reported internally by the QA team, in the Discord, or I have submitted bugs I find directly to the team and I'm sure other moderators do as well.

Refugee
    Fair enough! I was just confused, that's all. I hadn't seen anything on it myself