Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Console to PC Questions

I've been in the I.T. business 30+ years. My personal business aside, I see many more NVidia cards in systems in general. Are you buying for today or are you buying a video card for the next five years? If it is for today, The Radeon 5700XT is a great value that will play all games that I know at reasonable settings. However, be aware that their current drivers could use a bit of work according to my personal experience. I sent one back recently because although it was a great card in specs, in 7 Days...it was not a good experience. On the NVidia side of the fence, the RTX Super series is a great bang for the buck on the high end. The drivers are more mature, but barely considering Ray Tracing is still being refined. If you want a video card that is going to play games for the next five years at great settings, better look at the higher end of things (2070 Super or basically any of the Super series) if you are even considering 4K for the future.

AMD has been the underdog for quite a while now, but are definitely trying to make a move to be a value oriented option which is where I think they shined in the past.

So, if you ask me today, I'm recommending NVidia. Wait six months...and it may be a different story.

Budget is always a factor. I'm willing to pay $500+ for a video card that will last. That's the high end of my budget for a video card, but I think it's currently worth it. Your budget is always going to be the limiting factor in today's video card race. The hardware side of things is not keeping up with what the software developers are shoving out there in my opinion. With SLI being phased out, two cards on the newest offerings is not a good strategy. The question becomes, what is the single card that will do what I need/want? Is it frame rates with average settings or Ultra and 4K? If it's former, I'd go with a 2060 Super or a Radeon 5700 XT. If it's the later, I personally think you're into a NVidia 2070 Super...or even higher.
    Last edited by Ti2xGr; 10-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    I've been in the I.T. business 30+ years. My personal business aside, I see many more NVidia cards in systems in general. Are you buying for today or are you buying a video card for the next five years? If it is for today, The Radeon 5700XT is a great value that will play all games that I know at reasonable settings. However, be aware that their current drivers could use a bit of work according to my personal experience. I sent one back recently because although it was a great card in specs, in 7 Days...it was not a good experience. On the NVidia side of the fence, the RTX Super series is a great bang for the buck on the high end. The drivers are more mature, but barely considering Ray Tracing is still being refined. If you want a video card that is going to play games for the next five years at great settings, better look at the higher end of things (2070 Super or basically any of the Super series) if you are even considering 4K for the future.

AMD has been the underdog for quite a while now, but are definitely trying to make a move to be a value oriented option which is where I think they shined in the past.

So, if you ask me today, I'm recommending NVidia. Wait six months...and it may be a different story.

Budget is always a factor. I'm willing to pay $500+ for a video card that will last. That's the high end of my budget for a video card, but I think it's currently worth it. Your budget is always going to be the limiting factor in today's video card race. The hardware side of things is not keeping up with what the software developers are shoving out there in my opinion. With SLI being phased out, two cards on the newest offerings is not a good strategy. The question becomes, what is the single card that will do what I need/want? Is it frame rates with average settings or Ultra and 4K? If it's former, I'd go with a 2060 Super or a Radeon 5700 XT. If it's the later, I personally think you're into a NVidia 2070 Super...or even higher.
    My only concern is that for $500, that might just over shoot a reasonable budget overall in mind. Though I'm still waiting on my damn car to be fixed... so I'm forced to wait and see how much that'll cost me until I can figure out a PC budget.

I don't know if I'll need the PC to be in Ultra settings, let alone 4k. But the option to eventually utilize that aspect would be still quite some time down the road.

Of course wanting the game(s) to look smooth and good is important, and having great FPS/stability is equally important to me.

I guess the main issue is I definitely want something that will still be relevant years from now, as well as upgrade as I go when I see fit.

Working on a budget now and being able to upgrade later I'd not go nuts on a GPU now. Spend the cash on CPU. Especially for 7dtd it's important. I run a NVidia 1050TI and usually stay in the 40-50 fps range but I only have an old weak I7 860 2.8 ghz CPU. A better CPU would benefit me far more than a better GPU. My 2c for what it's worth.

PS. My video card only ran me $169.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrook1028 View Post
    Working on a budget now and being able to upgrade later I'd not go nuts on a GPU now. Spend the cash on CPU. Especially for 7dtd it's important. I run a NVidia 1050TI and usually stay in the 40-50 fps range but I only have an old weak I7 860 2.8 ghz CPU. A better CPU would benefit me far more than a better GPU. My 2c for what it's worth.

PS. My video card only ran me $169.
    I have the same CPU and I had to overclock it to 3.3ghz to play any recent games. I have a GTX 1080 which is not a good pair and I think there is a bottleneck with the aging CPU, I get some bad frame rates in the cities even on mid or so settings. So I agree that the CPU in 7 Days is most important due to the voxel engine and calculations left to the CPU, unlike Physx which is utilizing the GPU more leaving less load on the CPU. I would go with the 32Gb ram just because its something that can be picked up for a lot less than a $700.00 video card if you go for 2133 or lower clock speeds. https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820231788 this would be a quad channel type package if your motherboard supports it otherwise you could just get 2 16gb sticks I guess. I remember this being a price for a 128mb stick of PC 133.

I would not worry about DDR 5, this will more than likely be on the newest and priciest motherboards in the future, the GPUs are the only ones using this speed.

Would anyone agree that the 1151 (300) series would be mid range in the motherboard CPU area? The problem with this setup is that the coffee lake and some other CPUs that use this socket have this max 16 lane PCI express thing going on, leaving an M2 slot SSD to run at less than its potential when you add a 16x PCI Express video card and the M2 wants to run at 4x. I am not sure about this but I have read that the M2 runs slower and a lot of guys were pissed off at the the manufacturer due to the less than advertised M2 performance.

Hey Ti2xGr, what do you mean SLI is being faded out? I figure if you were well off enough to buy a pair of RTX 2080ti in SLI you would have 22gb of vram (or whatever you want to call it) which would be great for a lot of commercial creative software out there and if your game does not scale well then disable it for that game. I did make the mistake of buying a $1000.00 GTX 690 when it came out and a lot of games just did not like it and I had to turn of Multi GPU for them but for 4K and some of the newer games can it really be that bad of a setup if you have the money for it? I am curious because the only SLI I have ever had was the GTX 690 which was really not that great if I remember correctly. I do agree completely that SLI in 7 Days would be a useless feature for just that one game but lets face it people have other games and SLI could be turned off in windows so other than the expense for guys that buy the best of the best in PC hardware and drive a used Honda Accord that need a paint job and a trip to the junkyard soon, there would have to be some sort of boost in gaming and 3D rendering such as Iray, Mental Ray, Vray and other real time rendering engines. I do think the Cuda Core thing is in fact being phased out and Nvida is turning towards a new system for multi-core type GPU processing with a RTX Ops or something, so a Titan that has over 3000 Cuda Cores is something In the past when the RTX came along. I don't know much about it but If I upgrade some day I will definitely read up on it.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 10-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.

They're actually phasing out support for SLI on all the new NVidia cards. Most of the cards now are being shipped without it. It was getting much better with GTX 10 series so I'm a bit disappointed.

I've got an RTX 2070 Super on order. There's like five games that take advantage of it now. I'm curious how games will be designed when they will get to play with "real" lighting and how it will affect stealth games and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Jysen View Post
    I guess the main issue is I definitely want something that will still be relevant years from now, as well as upgrade as I go when I see fit.
    The cheaper option, buy a decent machine now and upgrade later. Hint: Getting an AMD CPU is better in this scenario because you usually can keep the motherboard if you upgrade the CPU while Intel switches CPU sockets like their underwear.
    Every 4 years (or when necessary because of 4k or a specific game) you buy a GPU from the same price bracket as the first one. And in ~5 years you buy a new CPU to get maybe 8-10 years out of it until your motherboard+RAM+CPU really has to be replaced.

Or you buy a monster machine now that allows you to play on 4k from the start, that machine will last you 6-7 years without upgrade. The only possible upgrade is another expensive top-level GPU after 4-5 years, but the CPU/motherboard might be a bit underpowered for that GPU. Upgrading the CPU makes no sense you simply build/buy a new PC.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    They're actually phasing out support for SLI on all the new NVidia cards. Most of the cards now are being shipped without it. It was getting much better with GTX 10 series so I'm a bit disappointed.

I've got an RTX 2070 Super on order. There's like five games that take advantage of it now. I'm curious how games will be designed when they will get to play with "real" lighting and how it will affect stealth games and such.
    Well they have Quake 2 I know of know of, if you are a gamer from that era it might be a fun game to play again with the added Ray Tracing. A lot of guys were pissed off at the launch of the RTX about there not being enough games available yet that utilized the Ray Tracing feature but that changing seeing how 70% or more people go with Nvidia including me and the RTX is maturing and it being more cost effective with the Super Series.

I always dreamed about real-time Ray Tracing since the Amiga days and it has been quite some time since then. I was hoping for a flight sim with that feature.
    Last edited by bobrpggamer; 10-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.

A flight sim would be amazing with RTX. Great call. So many games could take full advantage of it. Me and my son just got Doom 2, Command and Conquer Red Alert going again recently, so yeah. I'm from the Quake era. I wonder what they could do with a HL2 remake with RTX support. That might be interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    The cheaper option, buy a decent machine now and upgrade later. Hint: Getting an AMD CPU is better in this scenario because you usually can keep the motherboard if you upgrade the CPU while Intel switches CPU sockets like their underwear.
    Every 4 years (or when necessary because of 4k or a specific game) you buy a GPU from the same price bracket as the first one. And in ~5 years you buy a new CPU to get maybe 8-10 years out of it until your motherboard+RAM+CPU really has to be replaced.

Or you buy a monster machine now that allows you to play on 4k from the start, that machine will last you 6-7 years without upgrade. The only possible upgrade is another expensive top-level GPU after 4-5 years, but the CPU/motherboard might be a bit underpowered for that GPU. Upgrading the CPU makes no sense you simply build/buy a new PC.
    Good call on the AMD vs. Intel upgrade path. Intel has been spitting out minimal CPU upgrades these days but switching out sockets like people giving out Halloween candy these days. AMD's recent offerings have been significant and has really thrown Intel off their game temporarily. We may yet see a significant CPU jump and are overdue. We've been regurgitating the same I3, I5, and I7 die for way too long.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Haven't read the thread, don't care about what others may say, but:

Intel chip (go for GHz not core count, so i5 is fine)

Nvidia card (never ati/amd)

Min 8gb ram (that can be expanded to 16+)

Don't skimp on the PSU.

...the rest is garbage talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Haven't read the thread, don't care about what others may say, but:

Intel chip (go for GHz not core count, so i5 is fine)

Nvidia card (never ati/amd)

Min 8gb ram (that can be expanded to 16+)

Don't skimp on the PSU.

...the rest is garbage talk.

Giving 8GB even as a minimum is garbage talk as well. The first time he wants to play a MP game with his machine as a server/client he could already hit the limit. Saving about $40 for this in a PC for $1000 would be madness.

8gb minimum. Expand it if he needs it. Nothing rocket sciency. If he ends up needing it because he loads 16k maps or runs mods, then go to more. Minimum means minimum, and I have two kids on 8 and it runs well enough.

Neither runs a lot of overhead software though, maybe that's the difference with you?

And I'm not current on pricing, but I'm not up to 1k.

Did a quick check, yeh a grand seems legit

Hunter
    I'm definitely looking into higher GB Ram as one of the top priorities in a build. Realistically, I would like to buy a product that does 32GB.

But it's a bit of a slow speed for me right now. They definitely don't lack in tossing out a crap load of various numbers in a products description lol. I'm sure once I'm really accustomed to it all, it'll make more sense, but right now it's like deciphering hieroglyphics lol

Right now I'm focusing on finding the right Mobo, one that isn't over priced, but not underwhelming in performance/limitations either. I figure once I find a board to settle upon, then I can start to piece the rest of the puzzle together. Graphics, ssd, etc.

I've never personally been a fan of motherboard features... Supports the chip, GPU, ram, I'm golden.