Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A18 16K RWG map

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Here's my log.
    https://pastebin.com/nCQHs3ac

Map file each new user needs to download is 3GB.
    On a good connection (low ping) it takes about 6 minutes.
    On a bad connection, it takes about 15-20 minutes, and at about 15 minutes EAC will kick you for "excessive packet loss" and you'll be temp banned from the server for 15 minutes.

Will be testing gameplay a bit more on it later, and am mapping the thing tonight.

Edit: Almost forgot. When playing on this map, my game client was using 18GB ram.

EDIT EDIT: all 24 cores were mostly at 100% load for the generation. I expect that's partially because I don't have a GPU on the server to share the workload.
    Last edited by SylenThunder; 10-08-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Works fine actually.
    Biomes show up correctly.

I have a temporary new prefablist for A18, thats needs some debugging. But includes the new POIs.

The current version will throw some error message when POIs cannot be found (a few where renamed).
    And the dimensions of several POIs have changed. So they might not be placed correctly.

Making an update to A18 should not take that long.
    If you can get NitroGen working with A18 with all the POIs and stuff, we will all worship you.....

Quote Originally Posted by zootal View Post
    If you can get NitroGen working with A18 with all the POIs and stuff, we will all worship you.....
    What he said. I love the new terrain look, but I miss the packed worlds with biome variety of Nitrogen. I wish I knew coding well enough to fix it for A18, but my specialty is network/pc design.

I put up a test version fo A18

Awesome - I will give it a shot. Thank you for your efforts!

I tried the A18 experimental Nitrogen using a custom 12k map. It would get to the point where it would completely download the map for my user, but choke when trying to enter the world. I also tried an 8K but got the same results. It generated both worlds just fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    I tried the A18 experimental Nitrogen using a custom 12k map. It would get to the point where it would completely download the map for my user, but choke when trying to enter the world. I also tried an 8K but got the same results. It generated both worlds just fine though.
    Do you see any error message in the console (F1) when starting the map?

A18 seem to also trigger a problem when having the folder where you placed the map still open. (access violation)

Another thing could be the EAC Client acting up.

Or the main.ttw file (you could generate one with RWG and replace it, it mainly determines a Unique ID)

I was just generating an 8K map, and it worked fine in local singleplayer.
    Last edited by Damocles; 10-08-2019 at 06:45 PM.

I generated a 16K world with Nitrogen. Took about 33 minutes. Moved it to my server, server started right up. I copied the files to my client so I would not have to download them, so I can't comment on the download process. However, once I did that, I was able to join the server and play on the map just fine. Performance was good.

The client used about 20GB ram. If your computer has 16GB or less, it will not be able to load a 16K world.

Good to hear that it works in a Server setting

I posted a bug about not being able to generate 16K maps, and the response was that 16K maps are not supported. Meaning the client/server can't generate them, but will run them if you can find some other way to generate them. Enter <drum rollllll> NitroGen

So far so good. Will it add all POIs and stuff to the map it generates?

Tracker
    I am thankful for this thread, otherwise I never would have found out about Nitrogen. While I haven't tried it yet, it looks like it may generate maps that are superior to vanilla RWG

I posted a bug about not being able to generate 16K maps, and the response was that 16K maps are not supported. Meaning the client/server can't generate them, but will run them if you can find some other way to generate them. Enter <drum rollllll> NitroGen

So far so good. Will it add all POIs and stuff to the map it generates?
    I have gone though the list of new Prefabs (or my little tool did) and updated all prefabs in the folder.
    I had to take several out that dont really work in a random world (specific Navezgane topography or decorations) or are work in progress POIs.

All normal "Loot-POIs" should be in.

And of course all the Skyscrapers....

I created the map on my local system and decided to test it before moving to our dedicated server. On my local system when I open it, it gets all the way to "Creating Player..." and then gives me a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and then just repeats that error.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti2xGr View Post
    I created the map on my local system and decided to test it before moving to our dedicated server. On my local system when I open it, it gets all the way to "Creating Player..." and then gives me a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and then just repeats that error.
    I think I figured it out. One of the modlets that I had loaded was interfering with the loading. I got in the map! Now to scout around. I may have to start a fresh server!!!! LONG LIVE NITROGEN!!!!

Glad to hear that it works.