Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: YooHoo, zombies oh, where are you?

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzalicious View Post
    the world is more dead than a17 lol
    Yep. I want an undead world, not a dead one!

Hunter
    I admit I find these posts strange because I haven't touched spawn rates and I find wandering zombies all the time. Only thing I'd say is towns need a bigger wandering population than wilderness but at no point have I spent more than 15 seconds trying to find a zombie.

I'm playing Nav though, I'm starting to wonder if it's a RWG issue maybe? By the 3rd night living in an area it's rare to see less than 3 from my front door.

Quote Originally Posted by grieferbastard View Post
    I admit I find these posts strange because I haven't touched spawn rates and I find wandering zombies all the time. Only thing I'd say is towns need a bigger wandering population than wilderness but at no point have I spent more than 15 seconds trying to find a zombie.

I'm playing Nav though, I'm starting to wonder if it's a RWG issue maybe? By the 3rd night living in an area it's rare to see less than 3 from my front door.
    Agreeing with you I am playing RWG and there are wandering singular zombies-o-plenty.
    In town as well too. Why can't we just get a slider to adjust the amount of zombies in the game?

Well, I can say that Navezgane has always had a bit more zombies in general than RWG -it used to have specifically designated spawners that didn't rely on the outdoor POI spawner that we no longer have - so you'd still get dogs spawning around the hospital - cops spawning around a factory, etc I don't know if that's changed or not since last time I played it which was a LONG time ago at this point.

But, my biggest gripe isn't about the lack of zeds out in the middle of nowhere - I think that's about right..It's that afaik there's not a spawner that distinguishes towns from just an empty biome - so you get the same amount of zeds even when you're in a city - which is not enough. We used to have to 'clear towns' in order to even get in the POIs..now the towns are just flat empty aside from a couple strays (part of the biome spawner) and all the bulk of any zombies that we actually have to combat are sleeping in the houses. This means you can run around town looting the outside of it with hardly any threat..stripping down cars..looting mailboxes,,trash,, taking brass from the lights, etc..there is a LOT and i mean a LOT of loot you can get without even stepping foot inside of a POI - and there's no zombies to challenge you to take it..even when you're firing loud weapons like an Ak47 to kill the one or two that you do occasionally see.

Ideally, if you were to start firing weapons - it should attract a large group to investigate..which is why I said maybe they could trigger some more zombies to spawn using their heat system so that if you make a lot of noise, it at least has a risk. Say at somewhere around 10-25% intervals - you get a few zeds to investigate - up to 100% to where the actual screamer comes..Right now - stealth is only useful for going in the poi carnival dungeons..you can be as loud and foolish as you want to be outside and you'll still encounter the same few strays.
    Last edited by Doctor3D; 10-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Hunter

This is also what I'm seeing. I've played a combination of RWG (pregen 2) and Nav.

This morning before work I jumped in while eating breakfast.

Day 2, near Traitor Joel's in the middle-western side of the pine forest area there. Went from my POI past Joel's and into the pawn shop to the east, cleared the pawn shop and headed back to my POI.

Zombie Kill count is 39; and at least half of that is "wilderness" zombies. Also while clearing the pawn shop I was interrupted three times by zombies outside the shop and had to interrupt my looting / clearing to go handle those zombies. (Well, technically I didn't *have* to...but zombie noises bug me...and I have a difficult time just letting them be. :\

Tracker
    Its sad actually seeing LESS zombies than a17 , sure theres less in pois which is good but also less again outside! You can make as much noise as you like and attract no attention.
    So far 18 has got a lot right, but having a zombie horde game without the horde is ludicrous! Even the biggest cities are empty, its almost become an isolation sim.
    It seems odd that numbers reduce with every alpha now, we can only hope this will be addressed somewhere down the line.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Yeh too bad no one predicted this...

But yeh, nothing to worry about outside, and the most telling issue was doing the apts and getting 0-1 zeds per (rarely 2).

Total snoozefest. MM definitely made it based in his newbie skill level, so it sucks for the rest of us.

Ah well.

Lower zombie count is definitely noticeable out in the wild and in the POI's. Imo the POI's needed a slight nerf, especially the smaller one that used to be crammed full. Sure feels empty outdoors tho.

Hunter
    And this is the reason why I'm hesitant in upgrading to A18 down the road.

I'm glad to hear they reduced the ridiculousness of POI zombies (it still iritates me when I seen how they mysteriously hide in cabinets and fake ceilings lol), but hearing the majority claim the lack of zombies in the world, (a world where I'll assume is based off of our own), where there are 7 billion people, and yet devoid of the undead? Replaced with smaller numbers that are bullet sponges? Sorry, but that's a very weak way to address difficultly in a game.

I can accept there being a ratio based upon biomes, like the Desert being not as populated since it is a desert, but in towns/cities, that should be thriving with the undead. If we go with classic zombie (TWD) or even rage type zombies (WWZ), they all follow one golden rule, noise will attract them and they will travel in a herd like state to the source.

Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be so high that you have to kill 100 just to get to the end of a street, but seeing them wandering in the distance just bring's an atmosphere that's amazing.

One of my favorite moments visually was last year, it was getting dark and fog began to roll through. As my friend and me ran through a forest biome in a rush to get back home, the various zombies were in hot pursuit. I stopped and spun around to see the gap, and I froze in complete admiration of how amazing it looked. The entire atmosphere was out of a true horror movie. Darkened forest, heavily engulfed in fog as silhouette's of the undead began to emerge from the thickness of the fog. No game will ever be perfect per say, but this moment in that game was damn near the definition of it, and I praise TFP's for that being possible.

So the many reports of lack of zombies in the open world is depressing. Unfortunately I am unable to play it right now, so you all have my complete jealousy lol, but I really do hope they decide to adjust this, or as many suggested before, find a way to add in a slider so the player can personalize the amount, but one that could adjust the bullet sponge either separately or simultaneously to compensate for the number increase.

Im getting plenty of zombies in the world, but then I am roaming around a lot of different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Yeh too bad no one predicted this...

But yeh, nothing to worry about outside, and the most telling issue was doing the apts and getting 0-1 zeds per (rarely 2).

Total snoozefest. MM definitely made it based in his newbie skill level, so it sucks for the rest of us.

Ah well.
    I completely agree. We are really starting to notice how boring and empty POIs are now, especially the bigger ones that used to be quite a thrill-fest. The thrill and challenge is gone from A18.

I really hope GS affects zombie count in a big way.

Anyone play State of Decay? It should be like that. Zombies everywhere, inside and out, making every journey a thrill.
    Last edited by Ghostlight; 10-11-2019 at 08:44 AM.

I think the bigger problem is that zombies don't drop loot anymore. And the one stupid yellow bag that drops once in a blue moon does not count. It has made my excitement for killing them drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor3D View Post
    But, my biggest gripe isn't about the lack of zeds out in the middle of nowhere - I think that's about right..It's that afaik there's not a spawner that distinguishes towns from just an empty biome - so you get the same amount of zeds even when you're in a city - which is not enough. We used to have to 'clear towns' in order to even get in the POIs..now the towns are just flat empty aside from a couple strays (part of the biome spawner) and all the bulk of any zombies that we actually have to combat are sleeping in the houses.
    I agree. I really miss the sheer number of zombies in towns pre A16. Even approaching a city or town in A15 was exciting, and then you started making noise looting and it was an adrenaline fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jysen View Post
    I'm glad to hear they reduced the ridiculousness of POI zombies (it still iritates me when I seen how they mysteriously hide in cabinets and fake ceilings lol), but hearing the majority claim the lack of zombies in the world, (a world where I'll assume is based off of our own), where there are 7 billion people, and yet devoid of the undead? Replaced with smaller numbers that are bullet sponges? Sorry, but that's a very weak way to address difficultly in a game.
    So true. In a zombie game, I want the AI to be 'quantity over quality'. Stupid as mud but lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca View Post
    I think the bigger problem is that zombies don't drop loot anymore. And the one stupid yellow bag that drops once in a blue moon does not count. It has made my excitement for killing them drop.
    Same, I also miss hacking up their corpses.

I could argue that it's not really immersive to have a group of zombies every 3 POIs you pass in a town.

I could argue that killing all 30 zombies on the streets at one time and coming back a couple days later having another 30 zombies roaming the streets is not immersive.

I could argue that killing a few Wandering Hordes in a small town would be more than that small town could have population and yet you'd be eager to kill another WH in that small town. It would not feel immersive.

I could argue that killing hundreds of Zs in a small area (something like Left 4 Dead) would empty the zombie population in a big radius, making more "waves" incoming not really immersive.

I could argue... But i do also feel the towns seem a bit empty, even though i encounter zombies from time to time. Still haven't been to a big city, so i dunno how the situation is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorca View Post
    But...precious, precious experience!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khulkhuum View Post
    I could argue that it's not really immersive to have a group of zombies every 3 POIs you pass in a town.

I could argue that killing all 30 zombies on the streets at one time and coming back a couple days later having another 30 zombies roaming the streets is not immersive.

I could argue that killing a few Wandering Hordes in a small town would be more than that small town could have population and yet you'd be eager to kill another WH in that small town. It would not feel immersive.

I could argue that killing hundreds of Zs in a small area (something like Left 4 Dead) would empty the zombie population in a big radius, making more "waves" incoming not really immersive.

I could argue... But i do also feel the towns seem a bit empty, even though i encounter zombies from time to time. Still haven't been to a big city, so i dunno how the situation is there.
    I could argue: FUN >>> immersion