Thread: How to Fix / Increase Your FPS Guide A18

Refugee

How to Fix / Increase Your FPS Guide A18

The following is not exhaustive, but a list of tweaks I have found that have worked for me to increase my fps from the 35-50 range into the 60-80 range. Your mileage may vary, and of course nothing comes without cost, you will be sacrificing graphical quality, but who cares how good it looks if it's too laggy to play?

Some of these tweaks may do nothing, others may be substantial. I'd suggest trying them one a time to see what works for you. *Edit* These are aside from the obvious: turning down graphics or lowering screen resolution.

1.) For those with bad FPS especially outdoors, you can try this in the console to disable distant terrain:

gfx dt

2.) Disable post processing for fps gain.

gfx pp enable 0

3.) Change storm values.

In steam right click 7D2D -> Properties > Local files > Browse Local Files -> Data -> Config -> biomes.xml -> Open with text editor.
    Find lines:
    "<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_sandstorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"
    "<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_smokestorm" ChunkMargin="7"/>"
    "<ParticleEffect prefab="ParticleEffects/p_snowstorm1" ChunkMargin="7"/>"

Update them to 80 or higher, instead of 7.

4.) Running game from launcher instead of 7D2D Shortcut.

(To get to Game Location, In steam right click 7D2D -> Properties > Local files > Browse Local Files. Run 7Dlauncher.exe)

1. Tick [X] Exclusive FullScreen Mode
    2. Tick [X] Unity Screen Selector
    3. (Optional) Aditional Paramters(unsure if this works, might be placebo effect): -force-d39d
    4. When Unity Launcher opens, select the lowest resolution you're comfortable with, you can always raise it later. If your fps was very low, I would suggest trying the lowest graphical settings, you can always raise them individually later if you want.

Hopefully this helps some of you folks out there.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Yourdrunkendad; 10-10-2019 at 01:23 AM.

That gfx dt is pretty weird looking, but it does work. Everything beyond a certain distance is just white.

What helped me a lot was simply to set the anisotropic filtering (in the NVIDIA settings) to 2x or off. And not let the application control it.

Hunter
    You can turn off anisotropic filtering in the console with gfx af 0, helped me a lot with my AMD CPU and GPU. I no longer have to turn off distant terrain.

You can also fix the weird shininess/everything is too bright bug by going into settings while in game and going to options. Next turn reflections to low, hit apply, then turn them off and hit apply again.

Survivor
    seems like a good fix for GPU's but i do have a question, since this game is primarily CPU heavy, is there a way to reduce the usage on the CPU? thanks.

Scavenger
    Disable reflections for a massive fps boost that's purely CPU bottlenecked. The planar reflections in this game are completely unoptimized. A proper Vulkan renderer would remedy that issue completely.

Disabling SS Reflections will also give a huge FPS boost. Again, completely unoptimized and almost certainly bugged as hell, but it's not a CPU bottleneck.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by ubai View Post
    You can turn off anisotropic filtering in the console with gfx af 0, helped me a lot with my AMD CPU and GPU.
    gfx af 0 is essentially for me the only thing which brings fps in playable region, without making it look completely broken which gfx dt does. Its actually doubling up the performance while making everything blurry ofc.

its also worth for testing to switch from dx11 to vulkan in launcher, gives me up to 30-50% more fps, much smoother and looks great. It does not last long though because it will crash soon sadly.

i guess 7dtd does not like my vega56 very much currently. (8700k, 32gb ram, ssd)

Greetings.

Can someone explain what gfx or gfx af means and what its default is? Someone suggested gfx af 1 and Joel recommended gfx af 0, but now on Ultra, certain images are still low res and blurry, such as paintings and doors.

Since A18Exp, I constantly see memory leaks and shader errors in the Console. I assume this is known and will not be a part of Stable?

gfx af (2gb vram example)
    gfx af 0 (4gb vram example)
    gfx af 1 (to turn it back on)

"Anisotropic filtering is a method of taking many samples of a texture to produce a higher quality image. AF is a setting on each texture."

The above tips I picked up from the A18 Dev Diary thread. From what I've read, if you have less than 2gb vram, use the first option.

Follow faatal for any updated news or changes regarding af.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

0 disabled
    1 enabled (uses texture's value)
    2 is force enable, which is making AF maxed on every texture

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!/page2491
    Last edited by Bubo; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    gfx af (2gb vram example)
    gfx af 0 (4gb vram example)
    gfx af 1 (to turn it back on)

"Anisotropic filtering is a method of taking many samples of a texture to produce a higher quality image. AF is a setting on each texture."

The above tips I picked up from the A18 Dev Diary thread. From what I've read, if you have less than 2gb vram, use the first option.

Follow faatal for any updated news or changes regarding af.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Refugee
    what is gfx dt? and is there a way to undo it? the lighting seems way to bright with it on

gfx dt will toggle distant terrain off/on

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CatsArtist View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakner View Post
    thank you
    Anytime =)
    Last edited by Bubo; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:13 AM.

Refugee
    thank you

Scavenger
    Gfx af 0 does not help only with low vram, I have 8gb and its the only way to bring it to playable performance right now.
    they are reworking some shaders because they cost too much performance with af, so it should get better hopefully.