Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tie in repairs of items to crafting skills

Quote Originally Posted by Dimpy View Post
    From a game design perspective basing repair skill on the weapon specialization makes a lOr perhaps the penalty would be less?ot of sense. Makes specialization less about which weapon type does the most damage and more about what weapon type can you use the most reliably.

/\
    |
    This.

I say handle the degradation deterministically. No random degradation; either you have the skill to repair it without damage or you don't. If a repair will cause degradation, tell the player ahead of time exactly how the stats will change.
    Honestly personally I want some form of always degradation, but I also know that's not the norm and I like a harder experience. So i think simply linking it to the crafting is a good compromise

Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    Honestly personally I want some form of always degradation, but I also know that's not the norm and I like a harder experience. So i think simply linking it to the crafting is a good compromise
    Yeah, I liked that when it was a thing too, but that was because it worked in conjunction with other things that don't exist anymore. It used to be that low durability would decrease tool effectiveness, so repairs would still always have a positve net effect on stats even if the quality went down. It's also just less intuitive to have granular degradation now that the quality levels aren't granular.

Refugee
    I like the idea of field repairs vs workbench repairs. But don't affect damage or stats, just durability. And make it pretty significant, because of how high the durability goes on many items now.

If you want to field repair your rifle in the middle of horde night, make it take 20% CURRENT max durability (ignoring Structural Brace or other things that may affect). If durability was 500, make it 400. If its 400, go to 320, etc. It'll eventually need repairs often enough that it'll need replaced, unless you're diligent about using workbenches.

There are many frustrating things in this game. But none beat doing 249 dmg / swing to stone blocks. Don't degrade damage!

Hopefully with the change in that we can no longer craft purple items anymore something like this gets addressed. Otherwise there is no point in investing in most of the crafting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    Hopefully with the change in that we can no longer craft purple items anymore something like this gets addressed. Otherwise there is no point in investing in most of the crafting skills.
    The impression I got from the dev diary is they aren't even supposed to be "crafting skills". It's intended to be a tool proficiency, with the item crafting as a contingency for being screwed by RNG.