Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80

Thread: Console News

  1. #31
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0
    Your analogy fails on the fact that rarely does the author have 0 imputed. If I tell a worker to do something and it ends up done poorly, it still falls back onto me as their supervisor.


    It is still their IP, and they got the rights back, likely had a hand in putting it on sale and then went sorry about your broken game. TT is definitely the main one to blame here but TFP are not absolved of any responsibility especially as they now own the rights.

    Even if we pretend things are exactly the way you say in such a simple scope on the subject, The game is on sale right now on xbox. Friends of mine bought it in the past week. They literally just bought a severely broken game that is CURRENTLY owned exclusively by TFP.
    Last edited by DaPopeLP; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:14 PM.

  2. #32
    Colony Founder meganoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPopeLP View Post
    Your analogy fails on the fact that rarely does the author have 0 imputed. If I tell a worker to do something and it ends up done poorly, it still falls back onto me as their supervisor.
    Even if a writer has contractual input on a movie, no big movie studio ever has given the author the right to decide when to publish the movie, or given him the means to stop it after production began and they sunk millions into the movie. (Actually there may have been very rare exceptions when the movie studio really really really wanted to do a book and the author didn't want to. But normally a movie company will buy out reluctance with more money or a percentage of the sales, but never with power to just throw out millions out of the window)

    The author is never "supervisor" to the "worker" movie studio. Come on, does this sound like the movie studios you know to allow a writer to have such power over them? The author may have the power to say some event in the movie is in conflict with the lore, but he has absolutely no influence on production after the contract is signed.
    Last edited by meganoth; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:45 PM.

  3. #33
    Colony Founder Brian9824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,883
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Even if a writer has contractual input on a movie, no big movie studio ever has given the author the right to decide when to publish the movie, or given him the means to stop it after production began and they sunk millions into the movie. (Actually there may have been very rare exceptions when the movie studio really really really wanted to do a book and the author didn't want to. But normally a movie company will buy out reluctance with more money or a percentage of the sales, but never with power to just throw out millions out of the window)

    The author is never "supervisor" to the "worker" movie studio. Come on, does this sound like the movie studios you know to allow a writer to have such power over them? The author may have the power to say some event in the movie is in conflict with the lore, but he has absolutely no influence on production after the contract is signed.
    Yeah, usually the author is just there as creative consultant. They don't have a say in most of it such as who is hired, and so forth.

  4. #34
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Im just curous why they would buy the console rights back if they dont want to update? Is it just for the rights to make anyother one? That is exciting news to me. Even if it releases on the next gen they almost always make it for the last gen as well because they know how many people wont have it. Am i far off here? I dunno. Even if i have to repurchase it we all know we will dont even to try and say you wont. This is the news that we have been wanting for so very long. I think it is exciting.

  5. #35
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPopeLP View Post
    Your analogy fails on the fact that rarely does the author have 0 imputed. If I tell a worker to do something and it ends up done poorly, it still falls back onto me as their supervisor.


    It is still their IP, and they got the rights back, likely had a hand in putting it on sale and then went sorry about your broken game. TT is definitely the main one to blame here but TFP are not absolved of any responsibility especially as they now own the rights.

    Even if we pretend things are exactly the way you say in such a simple scope on the subject, The game is on sale right now on xbox. Friends of mine bought it in the past week. They literally just bought a severely broken game that is CURRENTLY owned exclusively by TFP.

    TFP don't put the game on sale. Sony and Microsoft control the price of that and it is on them what price it is. Not sure how they determine when it goes on sale but stream normally puts it on sale also in October guessing because it being a zombie game and Halloween or something.

    Yes they own the rights now but guess in your eyes they should just go broke to do another update that will probably still be broke by the way considering it would still be an update that coming from an alpha version. People might not like that they don't have the money nor the time really to deal with console right now but it is what it is. Nothing goin to change that.

  6. #36
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    help xbox update plzz

    xbox update game plzz

  7. #37
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    Look at it thru the facts, TELLTALE sold you the broken game, not TFP who had nothing to do with the development. Telltale licensed the rights to the game and produced the version that you then bought.

    Then Telltale went out of business and couldn't keep producing updates on the game.

    It's like blaming a book author if a movie studio buys the rights to their movie and then makes a bad movie based off of it.
    No i prefer to look at it as TFP sold the licensing for a game they never intended to bring to console (they admit they dont have a clue on console), they then took all that money and instead of working to strengthen the console player experience sunk it all in to PC (the main area of focus since day 1). From the very start TFP have been utterly useless for console players and as evidence from their many many streams really only ever cared about pc players going as far as telling console players to rebuy their product. Unless people are operating under the idea that TFP sold the rights then 100% walked away (which is wrong by TFP own admission) there is no way you cannot fault them for this. TFP sold the rights to an unfinished product (a product never meant for console in the first place), decided to hide and blame literally everything on TT the entire time and now bought the rights back since there are millions of console players that potentially would pay them to fix their mistakes (what/why?). TFP knew since day 1 they had little to no interest in console porting but saw an opportunity to raise funds to finish their game so they took it and screwed the player base

  8. #38
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Alright guys, this is kinda just for fun but i want to show these guys it would be worth it to do something. It only takes a second to sign and if we are lucky they will see that there is more money than they think is sitting right in front of their faces =).

    https://www.change.org/p/the-fun-pim...share_petition

  9. #39
    Colony Founder meganoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skillz_over_9000 View Post
    No i prefer to look at it as TFP sold the licensing for a game they never intended to bring to console (they admit they dont have a clue on console), they then took all that money and instead of working to strengthen the console player experience sunk it all in to PC (the main area of focus since day 1).
    So TFP should have given the money from the licencing to Telltale for the development of the console version? That would be the same as if they had given the licence to Telltale for free! What world are you living in? As long as TT was alive it was TT's job to pay for the porting.

    You have a case if you say that now that TT is gone, the licence money should be invested in console. The problem is we don't know how much of that money is left after laywer fees and the auction. And whether the rest of that money is enough to pay a company like IG to finish developing that old code. Or do you suggest that they invest money from the PC sales to finance the console version? . No worries, if they want a version on the new consoles they probably have to.

  10. #40
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    So TFP should have given the money from the licencing to Telltale for the development of the console version? That would be the same as if they had given the licence to Telltale for free! What world are you living in? As long as TT was alive it was TT's job to pay for the porting.

    You have a case if you say that now that TT is gone, the licence money should be invested in console. The problem is we don't know how much of that money is left after laywer fees and the auction. And whether the rest of that money is enough to pay a company like IG to finish developing that old code. Or do you suggest that they invest money from the PC sales to finance the console version? . No worries, if they want a version on the new consoles they probably have to.
    What i am saying is if TFP sold the rights to develop a port then yes they should have invested some of the sales towards the development of their brand. TFP branding is all over the consol port i mean for the sake of image at least you would think they would reinvest some of that money. I also doubt very seriously TFP didnt see anything from the sale of the console port version of the game. I would imagine they got a portion of each sale maybe 5-10% with the rest going to TT/IG. If they didnt why stick around at all? Why leave your branding on a product you sold and want nothing to do with? Assuming they did benefit from the console copy sales it cant be argued that TFP took that money and stuck it into the pc version. So if they now have the option to take pc sales and use it to bolster the console players then its only fair they do so. Its just really amazing to me how unconcerned TFP have been regarding millions of players and how their only answer is to rebuy the game.

  11. #41
    Colony Founder meganoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,885
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skillz_over_9000 View Post
    I also doubt very seriously TFP didnt see anything from the sale of the console port version of the game. I would imagine they got a portion of each sale maybe 5-10% with the rest going to TT/IG.
    Correction: 30% go to xbox,sony.

    Do you have any sales figures?

  12. #42
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Correction: 30% go to xbox,sony.

    Do you have any sales figures?
    No and we dont really need them? It's dumb to assume TFP didnt see any profit from the console sales and no matter what percentage that may have been the fact is they used to it further pc development. If its 1% or 70% the money was spent to develop a product other than the product the sales were generated from. For the pure sake of argument lets say they sold 1 million copies on ps4 and a million on xbox at a conservative $10 a copy (way below the $29.99 tag it came out with). Even at 1% that means they had a profit of $200,000. Is anyone seriously going to argue that with even a 1% sale revenue TFP couldnt have worked towards finishing the console versions?

  13. #43
    Colony Founder
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skillz_over_9000 View Post
    No and we dont really need them? It's dumb to assume TFP didnt see any profit from the console sales and no matter what percentage that may have been the fact is they used to it further pc development. If its 1% or 70% the money was spent to develop a product other than the product the sales were generated from. For the pure sake of argument lets say they sold 1 million copies on ps4 and a million on xbox at a conservative $10 a copy (way below the $29.99 tag it came out with). Even at 1% that means they had a profit of $200,000. Is anyone seriously going to argue that with even a 1% sale revenue TFP couldnt have worked towards finishing the console versions?
    How do you know that they got anything from the sales? It could of simply been that they said this is how much I feel the game is worth and TT agree and made one price. I mean we don't know how or what the deal between them was and never will. Sure they have the rights back and are making some money on sales now but it isn't millions. But blows my mind that you think that they should of took money they made from a deal to help put back into the deal. That is just absolutely crazy. Of course the money regardless if it was from game sales or a one time fee or a little of both went into the PC version. But to say they didn't help is also crazy because they kept sending the coding to TT and IG of what they had and or was ready give. They even helped IG a few times based on some things that was said long ago with a few things. So they did help but was they focused on console no and that wasn't and isn't hidden at all. Why do they have their name on it because it is their creation. TT/IG didn't make the game they just took a copy and ported over and also wasn't just a one time port the last content they did wasn't what TT or IG created it was a copy of the files that go ported. Same with the update that got stopped. You wanna write a article or book and copy someone and not recognize or give them credit? Ok so lets go back to what money they got from console after this legal mess and stuff how much of it did they even see or actually get out of it? We will never know the amount but can guarantee it is a lot less then they got. So to say all of it went into pc isn't actually true because a lot of it went to everything that has happened the last year.

  14. #44
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crazywildfire View Post
    How do you know that they got anything from the sales? It could of simply been that they said this is how much I feel the game is worth and TT agree and made one price. I mean we don't know how or what the deal between them was and never will. Sure they have the rights back and are making some money on sales now but it isn't millions. But blows my mind that you think that they should of took money they made from a deal to help put back into the deal. That is just absolutely crazy. Of course the money regardless if it was from game sales or a one time fee or a little of both went into the PC version. But to say they didn't help is also crazy because they kept sending the coding to TT and IG of what they had and or was ready give. They even helped IG a few times based on some things that was said long ago with a few things. So they did help but was they focused on console no and that wasn't and isn't hidden at all. Why do they have their name on it because it is their creation. TT/IG didn't make the game they just took a copy and ported over and also wasn't just a one time port the last content they did wasn't what TT or IG created it was a copy of the files that go ported. Same with the update that got stopped. You wanna write a article or book and copy someone and not recognize or give them credit? Ok so lets go back to what money they got from console after this legal mess and stuff how much of it did they even see or actually get out of it? We will never know the amount but can guarantee it is a lot less then they got. So to say all of it went into pc isn't actually true because a lot of it went to everything that has happened the last year.
    Well it is true because whatever they spent to get the rights back they can recoup in future sales, they can recoup when the inevitably sell the rights to the next publisher. Dont think for a second TFP isnt going to make money on this i mean really why else would they even want the rights back in the first place?

    I am not sure why you think it's mind blowing to reinvest in a product? That money could have went to help with coding issues, could have helped with the transition to the new unity system etc. Sure they "lose" profit but again they could earn more potentially if they developed and fixed the issues still plaguing the system now. Instead they pocketed whatever they got from the sales and again stuck it into the pc version. Now you are right they acted as "advisers" but in all reality there is no real reason they couldnt have done more other than they didnt want to. Had there been a better relationship between TFP, TT and IG i'd imagine things would have been done quicker and perhaps have been completed by now

  15. #45
    Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Michigan, out in the sticks.
    Posts
    8,693
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skillz_over_9000 View Post
    No and we dont really need them? It's dumb to assume TFP didnt see any profit from the console sales and no matter what percentage that may have been the fact is they used to it further pc development. If its 1% or 70% the money was spent to develop a product other than the product the sales were generated from. For the pure sake of argument lets say they sold 1 million copies on ps4 and a million on xbox at a conservative $10 a copy (way below the $29.99 tag it came out with). Even at 1% that means they had a profit of $200,000. Is anyone seriously going to argue that with even a 1% sale revenue TFP couldnt have worked towards finishing the console versions?
    Actually you do if you want to support your argument.

    Let's take a gander.
    30% of sales to MS and Sony. This is a known number.
    5-10% of sales to TFP for licensing. (Unknown, but pretty common amount)
    50% of sales to Iron Galaxy to fund development. (Again, unknown. We know it's not cheap though.)
    Remaining 10-15% goes to Telltale profits.

    Now, you can also argue that that small % that went to TFP, was used to pay for the support they gave IG in developing the console version. It also could have covered legal fees, and other things regarding the console version itself.

    You can't just assume that it directly supported PC development. You can guarantee that it's not enough to cover finishing the console versions.

    Which lets be fair, is something TFP have said that they want to do. There are some issue with doing that though, and they've given you a heads up about it.

    You guys seem to forget that they are still working on solving this issue. You're all treating it as if TFP said it's the end, for which they most certainly did not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •