Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are underground bases still pointless now that we have A18?

Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, USA.

Are underground bases still pointless now that we have A18?

Greetings.

As above, are bunkers still pointless because zombies dig down to them?

And please don't start telling me how to play. I'm simply asking if this is an option again.

Cheers.

It was an option in 17. It is an option is 18. Zombie hearing distance is like 30m or so? Dig deeper than that and you have no worries about interruption other than for horde night. Then they will sense you no matter how deep you are.

Zombie Hunter
    Whatever you thought in 17 is what they are in 18.

Not much has changed with the zed AI as far as I can tell though zeds do not seem near as destructive anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FA_Q2 View Post

Not much has changed with the zed AI as far as I can tell though zeds do not seem near as destructive anymore.
    The big difference between A17 ans A18 digging : is food.

You will most likely run out of food if you dig all night with normal settings in a week.

Once you have a large farm then it is the same as A17.

Nomad
    I've only started doing underground bases when zombies can dig in this game. I don't have or need a separate base to deal with horde nights. I have my forges running all day, I deal with screamers coming down, wandering horde coming down, packs of wolves and dogs coming down.

There's so many blocks and traps to build a successful base, I'm not telling you how to play but don't give up because of a problem, dealing with it is survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Michlo View Post
    Greetings.

As above, are bunkers still pointless because zombies dig down to them?

And please don't start telling me how to play. I'm simply asking if this is an option again.

Cheers.
    Bunkers have never been pointless. Why? I can't say due to the restriction you've leveled.

Tracker
    Bunkers were never useless/pointless, they just require a different setup to above ground bases, same as when digging was introduced

Adapt, overcome!

Its getting dark, stay safe, good night...and good luck ~Dying Light~

Thank you for the responses.

I ought to clarify what I meant by "don't tell me how to play". I had those folks who insisted on lambasting and ridiculing anybody who wanted a bunker in mind when I wrote that.

Cheers.

Zombies don't die of fall damage, however, is it possible to build a base high enough up, with a drop down to bedrock, so zombies will despawn when/if they hit the bottom?

Scavenger
    Bunkers used to be opening to mid-game.
    A18 has somewhat made them more end-game.

I'm looking forward to getting an auger sometime in A18 to just make large bunkers.
    You just need a distraction for zombies while you dig

Quote Originally Posted by Kattla View Post
    Zombies don't die of fall damage, however, is it possible to build a base high enough up, with a drop down to bedrock, so zombies will despawn when/if they hit the bottom?
    They don't?! They used to if the fall was long enough. That's why I used to make my bunker down at bedrock. It was a nice, long project which kept me occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Michlo View Post
    They don't?! They used to if the fall was long enough. That's why I used to make my bunker down at bedrock. It was a nice, long project which kept me occupied.
    Currently they lose a maximum of 1/3 their hit points per fall. So, three falls could kill some at least.

Will the zombies still come after you on horde night? Yes.

Can you still build underground? Yes.

I build under and above ground, usually keeping important stuff tucked below the surface. I do think the zombies are much easier to manage in A18, and it gives me more creative freedom on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrook1028 View Post
    It was an option in 17. It is an option is 18. Zombie hearing distance is like 30m or so? Dig deeper than that and you have no worries about interruption other than for horde night. Then they will sense you no matter how deep you are.
    Its actually less in a18, Can you even get 30m below though?

Quote Originally Posted by FA_Q2 View Post

Their block damage has been lowered for some, and the AI is almost a16 levels of bad, you can cheese zombies in a18 with a ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tGW70Gz7E even works vs 32 concurrent and high GS when solo. The zombies just go stupid. They used to try to get on the same plane as you in a17, in a18 they try to get under you if they cannot get to you, and mill about down there like a16 zombies. Though they do randomly go and whack things. He also has a video of a early game variant of these ramp bases you could build out of wood/cobblestone and have no problems with horde night. Here's the first one, both of these made me laugh at the AI here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwg1goT7XeA
    Last edited by Scyris; 10-18-2019 at 10:32 PM.