Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: LazMan vs Day 14 Horde

  1. #1
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1

    LazMan vs Day 14 Horde

    Difficulty: Adventurer (8 Alive, 60 min days)

    Intelligence / Perception Build (Level 17)

    Small flagstone/wooden bar horde base in the snow biome. Dual junk turret defense and active base defense. Exciting defense that lasted shortly past midnight. Learned alot for preparations for next horde night.

    Video:







    Last edited by Laz Man; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    0
    Overall I like the dual junk turrets. I love that satisfying “thunk” when you reload them.

    They seem to hold their own pretty well. When you pulled back behind them they definitely took quite a lot of shots. I didn't notice what quality level they are but they held up fine through the night.

    I’ve been thinking a bit about my base while tromping through the first few days of a new play through. Going with an INT/STR build (first time I’ve tried stun baton and junk turrets).

    It seems that you can collect a bunch of turrets and have them setup in a few fall-back positions to activate when you go near if earlier defenses get overwhelmed.
    Last edited by tricorius; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1
    I really liked using turrets at the top of a stair. When the zeds would get knocked down they would ragdoll down. I cant wait to get penetrator perk later as I think it will play nicely with this setup as well.

  4. #4
    Hunter
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    0
    I’m also curious what your takeaway for day 21 is. I couldn’t help but wonder how those turrets would fare at the entrance to the long narrow killing corridor so it can fire on zombies sooner. I’m assuming you did a bit of testing too. And I’m guessing the speed slowdown from the stairs is more beneficial. (I also agree with triggering rag dolls ... it makes me grin and cackle every time.)

    I didn’t realize penetrator works with turrets. I thought that only applied to character-fired weapons.
    Last edited by tricorius; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tricorius View Post
    Iím also curious what your takeaway for day 21 is. I couldnít help but wonder how those turrets would fare at the entrance to the long narrow killing corridor so it can fire on zombies sooner. Iím assuming you did a bit of testing too. And Iím guessing the speed slowdown from the stairs is more beneficial. (I also agree with triggering rag dolls ... it makes me grin and cackle every time.)

    I didnít realize penetrator works with turrets. I thought that only applied to character-fired weapons.
    For this perception/int build I was planning on using rifles (penetrator) in conjunction with some traps. Still feeling it out.

    My plan for the 14 day horde was to start with with rifle/pistol defense (tons of 9mm) at the 2 zombie funnel points I created to soften the horde up before falling back to my turret defense line. Since I am not pwrked high enough for 2 active turrets yet, I purposefully stood next to the stronger/higher ammo capacity turret.

    All in all, it worked out the way I wanted it to aside from the grenade explosion mishap...😅 I only had to reload the turrets once each I think.

    Things will be more interesting once radiated zeds and cops start turning up. The current setup will most likely hold up to the day 21 horde with some minor upgrades.

    For 28, I may need to make a secondary fall back position with a similar turret setup and firing angle. Not sure yet. Will depends how penetrator perk turns out and weather or not i incorporate electric traps by then.

  6. #6
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tricorius View Post
    Overall I like the dual junk turrets. I love that satisfying “thunk” when you reload them.

    They seem to hold their own pretty well. When you pulled back behind them they definitely took quite a lot of shots. I didn't notice what quality level they are but they held up fine through the night.

    I’ve been thinking a bit about my base while tromping through the first few days of a new play through. Going with an INT/STR build (first time I’ve tried stun baton and junk turrets).

    It seems that you can collect a bunch of turrets and have them setup in a few fall-back positions to activate when you go near if earlier defenses get overwhelmed.
    I'm skipping stun batons on this playthrough but excited to try them in a future one. I've been lucky to find 2 turrets so far (q4 and q1). I also found the extended mag schematic which I have them both outfitted with them. With only level 1 turret perk, they both have an ammo capacity of over 100 currently.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    On a Zipline
    Posts
    16,309
    Rep Power
    2
    Nice video. Really liked it but was hoping to put a voice to the hang loose.

  8. #8
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Nice video. Really liked it but was hoping to put a voice to the hang loose.
    Haha, maybe next time. Was playing at 2am...😅

  9. #9
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Washington (not DC)
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    1
    if you find the mod or schematic, see if they (turrets) can hold the rad remover mod, if so they can keep zombies from regenerating even if you don't shoot them yourself

  10. #10
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    847
    Rep Power
    1
    Nice vid, and interesting base build. Thanks for clarifying that only 1 junk turret was firing; it kinda looked that way but couldn't really tell.

    Curious why no doors to stop zeds if they made it past turrets? Is it still a thing in A18 that if they were there they'd have to be open for zeds to path up the stairs?

  11. #11
    Colony Founder Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,964
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FileMachete View Post
    Nice vid, and interesting base build. Thanks for clarifying that only 1 junk turret was firing; it kinda looked that way but couldn't really tell.

    Curious why no doors to stop zeds if they made it past turrets? Is it still a thing in A18 that if they were there they'd have to be open for zeds to path up the stairs?
    Good question, the thought did cross my mind. I will need to test that before the next horde night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •