Page 147 of 178 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 2657

Thread: Alpha 18 feedback and balancing thread

  1. #2191
    Beloved Curmudgeon DaVegaNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Between a rock and a hard place
    Posts
    2,621
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I'm not raging either. I just think that the problem really is good old fashioned lag and nothing you've said in any of your descriptions has disabused me of my opinion. It just fits in every way. It's like you're telling me that you think you might be dehydrated and you want me to tell you how to fix it but I'm not allowed to use the words "water" or "drink" -- otherwise you'll be convinced I'm not taking the problem seriously and that I just want to put you off and end the conversation.
    There's definitely a latency problem in 7 days. Or whatever fancy word the youth uses for it nowadays.
    Last edited by DaVegaNL; 12-06-2019 at 08:33 PM.

  2. #2192
    Leader Laz Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlin_Worm View Post
    Would like to bring up difficulty balance in general on default settings. I find the first two horde nights (day 7, 14) to be noob friendly, yet challenging but not a pushover. It is perfect in my opinion. Though, instead of a progression of difficulty from there, I find day 21 to be the day Fun Pimps drop you into the slaughter. Non-stop Radiated plus demolishers combined with AI on steroids that sniff out every weak spot in your defense. Somewhat overwhelming. I love the challenge, but wish it would progress a bit more linear early on.

    Regular day/night challenge is just the opposite. I find it not as challenging as a17, especially when it comes to POI looting. I think the combination of thinned out zombie count in the world and high drop rates of early gun/ammo is the cause. Every new patch seems to be addressing this however, so as of the last stable it is less of a problem thanks to loot table changes.
    I assume your playing MP? I'm past day 50, lvl 48ish, GS 120ish (SP) and just started getting radiated the last couple of horde nights (49/42). Adventurer diff., 16 max alive. 18.1.

  3. #2193
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    0
    Ok love so far the direction of the game. My only issue seems to be the lack of population in the world of Zombies. I dont know if it was a balancing choice or a system resource choice. I know by tweaking the XMLs i can get 50-60 zombies in game with 0 hiccups but then again I am running a overkill rig for this game. I also know your trying to keep the game within the requirements laid out when you launched. It might be be necessary to update those requirements to progress the game outside of its original vision.

  4. #2194
    Fun Pimps Staff madmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlin_Worm View Post
    Would like to bring up difficulty balance in general on default settings. I find the first two horde nights (day 7, 14) to be noob friendly, yet challenging but not a pushover. It is perfect in my opinion. Though, instead of a progression of difficulty from there, I find day 21 to be the day Fun Pimps drop you into the slaughter. Non-stop Radiated plus demolishers combined with AI on steroids that sniff out every weak spot in your defense. Somewhat overwhelming. I love the challenge, but wish it would progress a bit more linear early on.

    Regular day/night challenge is just the opposite. I find it not as challenging as a17, especially when it comes to POI looting. I think the combination of thinned out zombie count in the world and high drop rates of early gun/ammo is the cause. Every new patch seems to be addressing this however, so as of the last stable it is less of a problem thanks to loot table changes.
    Unless you have XP cranked up to max or play in a party that just isn't the normal use case. I don't start seeing ferals until about day 28 and they are sparse. Radiated until level 40 to 50... demolishers even later. What settings do you use to get GS so high so fast?

  5. #2195
    Fun Pimps Staff madmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,698
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmo31 View Post
    Ok love so far the direction of the game. My only issue seems to be the lack of population in the world of Zombies. I dont know if it was a balancing choice or a system resource choice. I know by tweaking the XMLs i can get 50-60 zombies in game with 0 hiccups but then again I am running a overkill rig for this game. I also know your trying to keep the game within the requirements laid out when you launched. It might be be necessary to update those requirements to progress the game outside of its original vision.
    Its a balance between performance and design. More zombies standing around annoying you out in the wild doesn't really add any game play. They can't hurt you unless you let them. Cities are already slow from detailed POIs, so adding more to cities is challenging on older rigs. We don't even have city spawn groups so we can't even say its more busy in cities yet either. The plan is to write some kind of random event manager that populates predicted areas players are moving to with some mini event so everywhere you go there is a chance something big could happen, but not just spawn guys everywhere with no way to despawn them elegantly.

  6. #2196
    Colony Founder Lonestarcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,140
    Rep Power
    1
    Any thoughts about having a Job board in each town/city ? like the hiding citizens are trying to get buildings cleared?

  7. #2197
    Survivor bobross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Unless you have XP cranked up to max or play in a party that just isn't the normal use case. I don't start seeing ferals until about day 28 and they are sparse. Radiated until level 40 to 50... demolishers even later. What settings do you use to get GS so high so fast?
    Dollars to donuts he's playing MP with 2-3 other people. I know I keep harping on it and you're almost certainly getting tired of it, but it's really an actual concern. I started with MP because my friends dragged me in, and never really played SP. The way its set up now, Hour 21 is going to crush any group of newbies that decided it'd be cool to play together, and there goes those players.

  8. #2198
    El_Thac0
    Guest
    I'm loving the new perk trees. I've run through 3 different builds and each one felt like a new experience because I was focusing on different types of weapons and hunting/gathering vs farming/mining.

    Perception felt a little weaker than the other trees, especially questing and looting POIs. The spear is a fun new addition, but it's got really low stopping power compared to other weapons (even the perked up fists really let you smack z's around in melee). Sniper rifles are less effective in close quarters, especially when you run into a large group in a small space (like at end of the Shamway factory).

    So your main firearm is optimized for single target at long range (and very loud), and when you inevitably get forced into a brawl (like with the huge groups of construction workers) you also have a melee specialization with really low stun chance and no sweep attack.

    Would you consider swapping the spear and bladed weapon perks?

    Now that bleeds apply a slow it would fit the sniper flavor. If you get caught in close quarters you can give them a quick slice then create some space to line up a shot.

    The spear also feels like a really great weapon to sneak up and throw into unsuspecting targets because the throw does so much damage, but I lost a couple of good spears because the target took off running with it. I started putting points into Hidden Strike on my Perception build just because of how bad it was to throw my main weapon into a target and instead of dying it alerted its friends and now I've got 2 other Z's in my face and no spear in hand. The answer to that was to start carrying a secondary weapon or throwing lower level spears, but that starts to eat up your toolbar. If you're going to throw a precious Steel Spear at all you want a massive sneak bonus so the target dies instantly and you can sneak over and pick it up.

    Plus, because of the extra reach on the spear, when you're first starting out on a fresh AGI build the extra reach would help you still get those sneaky stabby kills when you only have 1 or 2 points in Ninja Movement and can't get as close without waking the target up. Over all, the spear just feels like it's the optimal melee weapon for stealth kills, and Perception could use a melee weapon that's stronger in a brawl to complement its weaker ranged options indoors.

    Just some food for thought.

    (I know the simple solution is to just start bringing a shotgun when questing because they're still highly effective even without the perks, but then I found I was never really using the weapons I invested perks into, except on horde night.)

    When I really wanted to use my rifle in a POI I'd find a choke point and drop a spike trap in it, then make a bunch of noise. It was a fun game of trying to pick off everything that came running before they broke through, but you'd have to bust it down again before proceeding. I might update the Infiltrator perk so users can pick up any non-powered traps like spikes and mines much earlier in the tree. Then they could set up and take down sniper nests and clear by luring. (Plus I don't think I'll ever take that perk just for the reduced mine damage. Mines are so very rarely an issue unless you accidentally drive over one)

  9. #2199
    Inventor cnconrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    871
    Rep Power
    1
    Tried editing tools, broke my game. Keeps me stuck in God mode.

    Steps:

    Started a new game played for a few hours.

    Decided to check out the map a little and clicked on editing tools.

    Clicked world editor

    Clicked "Pregen02"


    Flew around a bit, noticed that I was holding all my regular inventory. I thought that was wierd but quit out after I found a trader.

    Started up my game again and was stuck in God mode.

    I'm kind of sad I could ruin my game like that with no indication that everything would be instantly broken.


    TFP any help????

  10. #2200
    Colony Founder AtomicUs5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,981
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestarcanuck View Post
    Any thoughts about having a Job board in each town/city ? like the hiding citizens are trying to get buildings cleared?
    I like that idea. Might be a good alternative to worrying about the continuation of low-tier quests from the trader.
    What’s the reward and how would you deliver it to the player in a reasonable way without the need for all these NPCs?

  11. #2201
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    461
    Rep Power
    1
    The compass direction when choosing trader quests is a really nice touch. So nice that could we please have it on the quest screen as well? Sometimes I'm wondering which quest I'm looking at in the map, but there's too many with about the same distance.

  12. #2202
    Colon Pounder The Gronk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Well, actually...
    Posts
    3,256
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUs5000 View Post
    I like that idea. Might be a good alternative to worrying about the continuation of low-tier quests from the trader.
    What’s the reward and how would you deliver it to the player in a reasonable way without the need for all these NPCs?
    The same way you would safely hand off goods in a dangerous environment, a dead drop. :-)

    Have a very simple fetch/buried supplies quest as a way of getting the reward.

    You could also have the trader as an intermediary, the trader holds on to the goods and hands them over when the mission is complete.

    On the subject of traders... wow, are they waaaaayyyyyy OP. Canned food is sold for a pittance and the quests give far too many dukes as a reward. Where's the logic in having the safe food worth far less than food that can poison you? I'm pretty sure canned food will become far more scarce and valuable when it can no longer be produced.
    Last edited by The Gronk; 12-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.

  13. #2203
    Colony Founder Lonestarcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,140
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUs5000 View Post
    I like that idea. Might be a good alternative to worrying about the continuation of low-tier quests from the trader.
    What’s the reward and how would you deliver it to the player in a reasonable way without the need for all these NPCs?
    like in World of Warcraft - there are job boars in cities or small towns near the Inn/Pub or the Church. you take a job and come back to a town person to turn in.

  14. #2204
    Refugee Chairkicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    It was never intended to be a single stat build. I diversify into 3+ attributes every game, but always have one main focus. It will give players ability to get some side perks without breaking the bank, and add more 2-3 rank mini perks that are cool. Trying to have 5 meaningful ranks to every perk was a noble idea but we'll be able to do lots of cool stuff throwing that design out the window, like I did with the book perks.

    To me scavenging has more opportunity, maybe a 2-3 tier science perk, etc.
    Fascinating. I look forward to what you'll come up with. Considering the brilliance of the A18 skill rework, I have faith whatever you come up with will be well-designed. I think we're reaching the point where there's a ton of choices as to how a build can go, instead of just the 5 separate builds. Though admittedly, the int weapons still need some work; I don't think anyone does an int build that actually uses stun batons and junk turrets (besides how useful junk turrets are for base defense, obviously, but a non-int build can make use of that.)

    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    I haven't seen that video in quite some time, and don't recall that. I was animating at the time I don't think I would commit to that. Glory kills could be nice, but we need to save some features for our next games, we can't keep adding stuff forever.
    I can't say I'd want to see glory kills in 7 days. I'd hate to see the pace get broken up by having to be stuck in an animation anytime I want a zombie dead, especially when there's multiple enemies around. They get really repetitive, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Its a balance between performance and design. More zombies standing around annoying you out in the wild doesn't really add any game play. They can't hurt you unless you let them. Cities are already slow from detailed POIs, so adding more to cities is challenging on older rigs. We don't even have city spawn groups so we can't even say its more busy in cities yet either. The plan is to write some kind of random event manager that populates predicted areas players are moving to with some mini event so everywhere you go there is a chance something big could happen, but not just spawn guys everywhere with no way to despawn them elegantly.
    I play with a mod that increases both wilderness spawns and the size (and frequency?) of wandering hordes. My PC isn't that great but it runs quite well. Further, I've found that combined with an increase to zombie sight distance and an increase in day speed to "jog", I'm constantly having to be on my toes, especially in cities. It's incredibly difficult even just on Nomad difficulty, and the increase in tension is palpable. I suppose on default settings increased zombie spawns don't do much, but I feel there's potential in changing the gameplay up. But then, that's a lot of knobs to add, so maybe this is the sort of thing best left to mods.

  15. #2205
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    0
    I didn't think about this until recently, but renaming bundles of stuff into stacks is an issue because it runs into preexisting terminology.

    Someone asks me how much wood i've harvested while I was out cutting trees, I say 'three stacks'
    That means i have three inventory-slots of 6000 each. It could also mean I have one inventory slot of 3, which can be broken down into three slots of 6000.

    A bundle is functionally a stack, but it can also be stacked with other stuff, because it was bundled.

    Basically, 'a stack' is already the name for multiple of the same item contained in the same inventory slot.
    A stack of water is 15 jars. A stack of dirty water is... I dunno, like 400?
    A stack of shotgun shells is 250. (but a box is only 100) 9mm stacks to 300. 762 stacks to 150.

    Changing somethingvery similar to have the same term is just going to add confusion when talking to other players, especially when some players have the option to make bundles (with the skillbook that allows it) and others do not.

    Hell, trying to differentiate between the two different types of stacks in this post alone required me to use a term that was removed from the game, otherwise it'd be impossible to tell what I was talking about.

    Rename them back into bundles or pallets, please.
    Last edited by iamnuff; 12-07-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •