Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List of GPU with performance problems

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTunnerX View Post
    Well GTX660 costs 140 dollars here right now (same as GT640 5 years ago). 5 years ago, if it even existed, the price must have been much higher. I always buy GPU for this price so if I was to buy a GPU right now Id definitely get the GTX660, but yeah, it was dfefinitely not as cheap back in the day (otherwise id have bought it), nor will it probably be the choice when I do decide to buy a new GPU since a new one may be in stores by then.

In any case, Im just here to report I have issues with 7DTD on it, which I didnt have until A17. So thats that.
    I definitely wouldn't recommend the GTX660 now as that card is very old and outdated and might not even have Windows 10 drivers available (even if you're using Win7 right now... gotta think of the future, which unfortunately is forced on us). Currently, the newest and cheapest recommendation (not including sales or refurbished cards) would likely be the GTX 1050 which should be priced about the same and is only about 1 1/2 generation behind compared to the GTX 660 which is I think 4 1/2 generations behind. Next step up from that (in terms of current prices) seems to be the GTX 1650 which is a substantial boost in performance.

I know GPU listings are confusing and stores love to rip ppl off with garbage / old stock priced similarly to stuff that actually has value... but that's why researching is so important.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by m0h View Post
    Can confirm dramatic FPS issues caused by AF on 3 AMD GPUs: RX580 (8GB), Vega 56 (8GB) & 5700 XT (8GB)
    (cannot hit 60fps without `gfx af 0` and lowering few other settings)`
    Thanks gfx af 0 doubles the FPS from ~20 up to ~40 at ultra or 25-50 at medium but they are still about half what the were on A17 with my Radeon VII.
    So this is a problem with fairly much all recent AMD GPU? and the only people having problems with Nvidia seem to be using really weak GPU that are slower than modern IGP.
    Last edited by dasa; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dasa View Post
    Thanks gfx af 0 doubles the FPS from ~20 up to ~40 at ultra or 25-50 at medium but they are still about half what the were on A17 with my Radeon VII.
    So this is a problem with fairly much all recent AMD GPU? and the only people having problems with Nvidia seem to be using really weak GPU that are slower than modern IGP.
    Kind of expected though. AMD GPUs almost always have issues with games, especially when games are under development. They just don't receive as much support as Nvidia does. If you're patient enough though, things will get better... they always do... eventually.

Refugee
    Wonder if it will come in the form of a driver update or a game update since the game makers don't seem to have it listed as a known bug.
    Kida funny that if I downgraded back to my GTX 1070 8GB this game would run better at the moment.

Edit just found a video where somebody with a Nvidia GPU of some kind also had performance issues and disabling AF helped them significantly so it may not just be AMD with problems but perhaps the performance hit is more severe with AMD.
    Last edited by dasa; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:43 AM.

Wonder if it will come in the form of a driver update or a game update since the game makers don't seem to have it listed as a known bug.
    Kida funny that if I downgraded back to my GTX 1070 8GB this game would run better at the moment.

Edit just found a video where somebody with a Nvidia GPU of some kind also had performance issues and disabling AF helped them significantly so it may not just be AMD with problems but perhaps the performance hit is more severe with AMD.
    My guess is the devs will release a patch soon that will fix some of the AMD related issues but not say much if anything at all about it as they often do. 7d2d isn't likely to be too big on AMD's radar for driver fixes, but you never know.

As for Nvidia users go, I don't know why any of them would be getting issues with this game as it's never happened to me yet, and I've been here since Alpha 1. Sometimes it's the card itself having bad thermals in key areas (as some manufacturers cheap out on the heatsinks and reuse old ones to fit new cards and the smaller components get little to no cooling), sometimes it's bloatware running in the background causing conflicts with the game, sometimes it's just players getting too greedy with the game settings. Unless I see the issues with my own eyes, I won't believe that the issues directly relate to Nvidia.
    Last edited by Fox; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:17 AM.

I just tried an AMD Radeon HD 7750 (from 2012 I think) and it was pretty bad. It has 1G ddr5.

I didn't have any graphic anomalies, but the fps was bad. I did Lowest settings @ 1366 x 768
    and got between 15 and 45 FPS. Occlusion and Texture streaming on, New Win 10 install
    with the latest AMD drivers. CPU: Quad Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram.

Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I definitely wouldn't recommend the GTX660 now as that card is very old and outdated and might not even have Windows 10 drivers available (even if you're using Win7 right now... gotta think of the future, which unfortunately is forced on us). Currently, the newest and cheapest recommendation (not including sales or refurbished cards) would likely be the GTX 1050 which should be priced about the same and is only about 1 1/2 generation behind compared to the GTX 660 which is I think 4 1/2 generations behind. Next step up from that (in terms of current prices) seems to be the GTX 1650 which is a substantial boost in performance.

I know GPU listings are confusing and stores love to rip ppl off with garbage / old stock priced similarly to stuff that actually has value... but that's why researching is so important.
    Yeah actually when we were discussing it last, I checked the current market and the GTX 1050 was on the first place for the price I specified. So if I bought a new GPU the same way I always do, I would end up with this one. Kinda good news I guess. But thanks for letting me know about the generations and whatnot. I never checked that. Always only performance, OpenGL/DirectX/shaders versions and price.
    Last edited by MaxTunnerX; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:19 PM.

nVidia has AF optimizations that I think are on by default. Their optimizations could be more aggressive than AMD's.

The Texture Filtering video option is the new way to adjust AF settings. Low is the same as gfx af 0 (off).