Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do zombies have i-frames now?

Do zombies have i-frames now?

Do zombies have invunerability frames now in a18? I notice sometimes when they swing, even though I have a clear shot at their body (the arm is not blocking it), it sometimes doesn't even register as a hit, almost as if the zombies have been given iframes during certan parts of their attack animations. Hits that should have interupted their attack are not doing anything at all at times.
    Last edited by Scyris; 11-14-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyris View Post
    Do zombies have invunerability frames now in a18? I notice sometimes when they swing, even though I have a clear shot at their body (the arm is not blocking it), it sometimes doesn't even register as a hit, almost as if the zombies have been given iframes during certan parts of their attack animations. Hits that should have unterupted their attack are not doing anything at all at times.
    I have notice this too. It seems like the bullet just pass through the intended target and hit whatever is behind it. It is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mday View Post
    I have notice this too. It seems like the bullet just pass through the intended target and hit whatever is behind it. It is annoying.
    Ive read a dev (I think it was gaz but not sure) say last weak that he has heard this complain but hasnt seen a single video where that really happens.

Ranger
    I don't think it's really iframes, but a combination of jerky animations and bad (yes, bad) melee mechanics. I rarely ever have trouble hitting stuff with firearms, because they're hitscan and don't require leading your shot. Just precision will do.

But with melee, you somehow require timing AND pinpoint precision, even when the zombie is all up in your face. If your crosshairs aren't on the zombie's hitbox at the right moment in the swing animation, you will just miss, even if the zombie is well within the arc of your weapon visually speaking. This happens a lot because the animations are very exaggerated (head movement especially) and seem to be choppy regardless of FPS.

Fast weapons like knives and fists suffer less from this, but clubs and sledges (imho) feel terrible due to these mechanics. I've gotten used to it in the sense that I can whack zombies reliably enough to make the weapons useful enough, but every fight is a reminder that so many other games did it better.

It would explain a lot if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalarro View Post
    Ive read a dev (I think it was gaz but not sure) say last weak that he has heard this complain but hasnt seen a single video where that really happens.
    I've had the bullet thing happen on more than one occasion but its not something you can really make happen, it just happens when it does. Would be hard to get a video of it tbh. Most of my issue though is with melee, and how janky the hitbox and such is. IMO if the zombies in the crosshair for any part of the swing they should get cleanly hit.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalarro View Post
    It would only take playing the game for 1/2 an hour to see it happen, it is not like it is rare or an intermittent bug. It happens consistently and to many players. I would find it shocking if TFP's do not actually know this happens, or their testers or devs havent ever seen it happen regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hrod Land View Post
    I don't think it's really iframes, but a combination of jerky animations and bad (yes, bad) melee mechanics. I rarely ever have trouble hitting stuff with firearms, because they're hitscan and don't require leading your shot. Just precision will do.

But with melee, you somehow require timing AND pinpoint precision, even when the zombie is all up in your face. If your crosshairs aren't on the zombie's hitbox at the right moment in the swing animation, you will just miss, even if the zombie is well within the arc of your weapon visually speaking. This happens a lot because the animations are very exaggerated (head movement especially) and seem to be choppy regardless of FPS.

Fast weapons like knives and fists suffer less from this, but clubs and sledges (imho) feel terrible due to these mechanics. I've gotten used to it in the sense that I can whack zombies reliably enough to make the weapons useful enough, but every fight is a reminder that so many other games did it better.
    Ya, except its not about needing percision at all. It will happen with your crosshairs dead center on their torso the entire swing, and woosh.

Survivor
    Can confirm this happens to both me and my wife. Consistently. Especially with Arrow/Bolts and in melee it is very apparent that this happens, but I have seen it happen when sniping too.

I was assuming this has something to do with the simplified hitboxes they added/fixed to make for better performance of the game.

Quite annoying at times. But since 7dtd was always a bit flunky with precision/accuracy and hitboxes it's not like it's been surprising. Just surprised it got worse than in previous alpha-updates.

Tracker
    Happens with every weapon some more than others,dont know how many times arrows/shots have missed from close distance. Melee is worse, face to face with a z and hitting boxes behind them is frequent.
    Its like one of the previous alphas where you could swing at a rock 3-4 times and not hit it.
    Also clipping through doors/spawning in rooms in front of you and falling through staircases when knocked down is still happening.

Ranger
    I've noticed an issue with not being able to attack zombies while they are getting up for a few builds now. Seems like while they are getting off the ground they are completely invulnerable to damage, hits don't even register.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyris View Post
    IMO if the zombies in the crosshair for any part of the swing they should get cleanly hit.
    Assuming they are in range...

I miss with clear shots from bullets, arrows, swinging anything. Seems to randomely go right through the zombie. this is a huge annoying bug that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
    Assuming they are in range...
    Sledge has 2.6 block range, the zombie was 1 block from me, I was aiming at the torso there was no way I could have missed, but it did.

I regularly see swings pass right through the zombie I have in my cross hairs, shooting not so much but my clubs and bats and every other weapon I have used since A18 started has every few fights gone right through center mass on a swing without any hit whatsoever. I don't even bother with headshots any more, just wasting stamina. This is a problem, it needs to be acknowledge by the devs and it needs to be fixed. Ignoring it and pretending it isn't happening is just causing frustration among a lot of players.

At this stage of the game with POI's full of nothing but glowies and ferals I honestly don't even try to melee any more, you can't trust it when it matters.

Colony Founder
    Has anyone been able to post a video of this happening? Saying it's apparent to everyone is nice but having something to document this will go a long way to getting the devs involved.