Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Removing cotton

Quote Originally Posted by beHypE View Post
    This is nothing like the iron ore in my book. The iron ore was just an icon and a single bridge to scrap iron. Cotton gives access to different recipes, some of which are used for other recipes themselves. It's a block in the world so it adds decoration aswell, and I've yet to play a game where I wouldn't pick some up early game.

You could make it more useful by simply tying it to more recipes and rebalancing cloth. It's overabundant because every POI has a ton of it, so scale up those numbers needed in recipes, make cotton a bit more scarce, and you'll enjoy finding patches here and there.
    Agreed.

I do not think I've ever harvested cotton in A18 due to the fact you can just about get a life times worth of cloth by harvesting curtains/drapes as u said.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.natural View Post
    And wacking curtains and couches not? lol
    Curtains should be removed from the game because they are dirty and obscure the light, it is very difficult for me to navigate in a dark room when they hang on the windows, therefore - it hurts the gameplay... anything that interferes or is meaningless - harms the gameplay.... everything must be removed. And delete this game.

#REMOVE IT
    Last edited by n2n1; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:42 PM.

Scavenger
    Quote Originally Posted by beHypE View Post
    This is nothing like the iron ore in my book. The iron ore was just an icon and a single bridge to scrap iron. Cotton gives access to different recipes, some of which are used for other recipes themselves. It's a block in the world so it adds decoration aswell, and I've yet to play a game where I wouldn't pick some up early game.

You could make it more useful by simply tying it to more recipes and rebalancing cloth. It's overabundant because every POI has a ton of it, so scale up those numbers needed in recipes, make cotton a bit more scarce, and you'll enjoy finding patches here and there.
    I think you're talking about cloth, since POIs don't really have cotton in them. We're talking about cotton, the thing that is used to make cloth.

We're not talking about getting rid of the block in the world, just having that block give cloth directly since the cotton is a needless step and only servers a purpose of being processed into cloth.

It's much simpler to just have the cotton plant give cloth on haresting than trying to tie it to already existing recipes or making new ones for it, that's development time that could be better spent on other aspects of the game that would further the goal of getting the game released.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSurvivor View Post
    Agreed.

I do not think I've ever harvested cotton in A18 due to the fact you can just about get a life times worth of cloth by harvesting curtains/drapes as u said.
    a cloth fragment in the game in abundance, need balance. Reduce the count of cloth that give sofas, tents, curtains. I have 3,000 pieces of cloth. Collected from tents at a military base. Therefore, there is no need to pick cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Gandalf View Post
    ...for example sticks: Those were used for arrows and traps, if i remember correctly. Thus they had two, not only one, usages. And they got removed anyways.
    You could sharpen that stick and use it as a weapon, or to cook meat. That's FOUR uses!

-Morloc

Quote Originally Posted by Morloc View Post
    You could sharpen that stick and use it as a weapon, or to cook meat. That's FOUR uses!

-Morloc
    Sharp stick, hmm, is that a vampire avatar?

Oh...and because I want to at least be partially on-topic; I am pro-cotton.

-Morloc

I wish I was in the land of cotton.
    My feet stink but the meat is rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUs5000 View Post
    It is definitely one of the weaker things in the game.
    I usually make 10 bandages and a bandanna directly from cotton in the first hour of the game.
    One time I forgot bandages on a trek and it saved my life.
    I don't think it should be removed because it suits well in those early survival moments. However, I do think they should try to find more uses for it later on... something that needs constant maintenance and constant supply of cotton... like a water purification station. Give some reason to farm it even.
    This is the right thinking. Maybe it needs to be a ingredient for one of MMs advanced recipe thread. For example, cotton mouth chowder (cotton, canned soup, corn, etc.) 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Laz Man View Post
    This is the right thinking. Maybe it needs to be a ingredient for one of MMs advanced recipe thread. For example, cotton mouth chowder (cotton, canned soup, corn, etc.) ��
    Although more things requiring cotton late game should still be a thing, I think I have a very simple solution.

Just make it so that bed rolls require something like 20 cotton. Some players might use one bedroll for their entire game, some nomads might make one daily. But, having a definite use for cotton no matter at what stage in the game you are in at least justifies and strengthens its existence in the game.

Ranger
    Please stop messing with things that are otherwise perfectly balanced. The game doesn't have to be less realistic because something is abundant in the world.
    If anything I'd like to see more blocks and more craftables just because. Because by that logic there is no need for iron ores since you can get the same if not more amount of iron from wrenching stuff.

This kind of post is a meaningless hatred towards farmers and decorators in game.

We need realism back in the game, stop trying to make this game a fortnite clone where everything is wrenchable.

Nobody in this thread has the ability to mess with things or make it a fortnite clone or change anything about the game. They're just talking. I don't want cotton removed but if it gets removed I guarantee you they were thinking about doing it before this thread came along. There is no need to be afraid of any thread controlling the devs into making design decisions.

"The devs listened to a small group of vocal players and ruined the game!" is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Nobody in this thread has the ability to mess with things or make it a fortnite clone or change anything about the game. They're just talking. I don't want cotton removed but if it gets removed I guarantee you they were thinking about doing it before this thread came along. There is no need to be afraid of any thread controlling the devs into making design decisions.

"The devs listened to a small group of vocal players and ruined the game!" is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Or... they didn't think of it before because people can't think of everything, and then stumble upon this very thread and say "WOW! We didn't think of that! We have to do that right now!"
    Sorry, had to. I understand your perspective and this is generally the case.

At the same time, however, TFP have been known to make changes when the majority of people dislike something or think some change needs to be made that improves the game. I think Hollowprime is speaking to people not yet identified and among some group of people who actually enjoy the simplified crafting trend... that's how much he hates it. I think it's more about the fear of other people forming a large group of pro-reductionists who can later convince TFP that these kinds of changes are welcome rather than what we currently see as a lone person who started a thread. From his words I get the impression that he wants to throw his opinions out there and hopefully dissuade anybody who might want to take a ride on the basic bus to Simple City.

I'm sure if they removed it, the replacement would at least be better than cotton plants drop cloth... that's pretty much the only thing I can say about this with full confidence.

Throwing his opinion out there was fine. Telling others to stop throwing theirs out there was not.