Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: We need a GIANT WORM!

Reconstructionist
    Generators yes, but the iron would be so much easier to gather elsewhere, the industrial zone is the best source of iron aside from mining. Food would not be there I don't think, at least not in any amounts greater than what you would find anywhere else.

The dart gun/tranq gun idea is interesting, maybe instead of going the gun route you find a craftable formula for for the chemical used in the darts that way you could adapt it to your cross bow darts. Or devise a way to make a wide area chemical spray with different effects such as calm/sleep/attract/enrage depending on what you need. I could see using the gas mask in conjuction with a chemical depressant of some sort to tranq the zombies when looting cities/towns instead of having to make a bloody mess of everything.

You could also use a different chemical to attract food source animals for hunting purposes. Attract them, then tranq them and then kill them and harvest venison for everyone.

I like to think specialized areas would have specialized loot. if all you can get is more of the same stuff there reallly is no incentive to going to such an area.

With the randomness of zombie spawns and attacks, surviving is more luck than skill based anyway. I mean what if you are creeping through the zoo picking up every scrap of metal you find while not engaging the animal zeds, when suddenly a wandering horde spawns and heads into the zoo? Then you are pretty much screwed regardless lol unless you have a big party of friends.

Yup, could also use the large animal size drugs to give you a boost. Could mix up a cocktail of drugs up to cause a zombie to go ballistic and destroy other zombie and players near it for a while then just drop dead from over doing it or getting killed by other zombie or players. Something like that you would want a dart gun for.

Reconstructionist
    It appears the Giant Worm was pushed back to Alpha 10, sorry guys, and most of all sorry Malthis.

Hunter
    I'm not really down for a giant worm for the exact reason every other naysayer is against it - structural integrity.

Now, given that, I have had some ideas of my own while reading through this thread, and one of them does in fact involve a GIANT WORM!

The Funnest Pimps have spoken about implanting boss type creatures, like the Navezgane Duke and such. So - why not have a Giant Worm boss? It has a prefab, only the prefab is underground, little wormlettes will spawn there instead of zombies, and the Giant Worm itself will spawn there, it wont tunnel itself but instead will use the prefab tunnel system. The worm will be on a long respawn timer, letting you come back to kill it again. Then again, people might just collapse the tunnel, so maybe the worm should be able to tunnel within x/y/z of the prefab spawn. This would be easy to implement into the new A9 random gen as it would be a prefab, and you can limit it to desert biomes. (Just wait till someone finds the holy grail - several worm prefabs spawned in a small area)

I think the grizzly bear could easily fall into the boss category as well, these would be like the original world bosses from WoW where they are ridiculously hard to kill, end game if you will. You could do the yeti in the winter biome the bear in the forest a killer bee hive in the burnt zone the worm for the desert and uh... a platypus for the water? ♥♥♥♥ I don't know. Leave the water alone. Just my two cents on the giant worm.

As far as making underground less safe, we could extend the zed AI to include an unlimited vertical sense range. I can already hear the cries of anger towards this idea. Other ideas include things like underground hazards, lava, water, someone mentioned in another thread underground radiation with the same consistency as water, color it green, and you take damage as long as you're in it. Hmmmm... the tunneling zeds would also create the structural integrity issues so that's out. IRL mining hazards include toxic gas, cave collapse, perhaps sanity, particulate in the lungs. Maybe one of these is the best answer, we could have it where as depth of the mine increases you accumulate a debuff, black lung, after 5 stacks you start to take damage over time, when you reach a certain vertical position the stacks begin to go away over time:

-10 or less on the vertical axis = no debuff
    -30 or less on the vertical axis = 1 stack/5 min IRL
    -50 or less on the vertical axis = 1 stack/3 min IRL
    -70 or less on the vertical axis = 1 stack/2 min IRL

Being at 0 or more on the vertical axis = -1 stack/2 min IRL

This allows you 10 minutes IRL underground at bedrock - of course these can all be adjusted for balance. I think it's a fairly elegant solution to what I believe to be a problem.

Reconstructionist
    Quote Originally Posted by R3DSKULL View Post
    don't give up on a whole idea for something that can be tweaked and is only part of the idea. why does the base have to collapse? you dont like this part doesn't mean whole idea is bad.
    Listen to R3DSKULL people!!!